United States Department of Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United States Department of Energy.

Interview

Applied online, received an e-mail within a couple of weeks to establish a phone interview time
    Phone interview was 1-on-1 with the woman who would be my supervisor and it lasted about 25 minutes. The interview consisted of very basic questions

Interview Questions

• Go through your resume with me, what are your strengths, which past experiences do you think relate to this position you're applying for   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United States Department of Energy (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Telephone and in person, must submit U.S. citizenship documents. Very gov specific. Asked about biggest failure and how I reacted. Asked job history, education, performance. Asked for references. Must be able to obtain security clearance.

Contract Price Cost Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United States Department of Energy.

Interview

Very straight forward and it consisted of a panel of 4 people who as serval behavioral based questions. Received a call for the interview about 3 weeks after applying online.

Science Undergraduate Laboratory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United States Department of Energy (Lemont, IL).

Interview

Applied online through the DOE portal. Pretty standard. I think letters of rec are the most important part of the application. Process was unclear and they almost withdrew my offer because I only accepted the position online and I didn't "return my acceptance forms."

My suggestion is if you are dying to get into the program apply to Argonne National Lab since they take A LOT of interns. At other labs, it is more competitive.

Negotiation

No negotiation. You are offered a stipend. Take it or leave it. But be aware your compensation is paid on a 1099 Misc Income form and not a W-2.

General Engineer/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United States Department of Energy (Golden, CO).

Interview

Contents of job application/resume are rated against key job parameters and ranked. If included in top 10 ranked applicants, may get an interview by phone or in person. Top 3 interviewees may get a 2nd interview. Hiring manager will then recommend top choice for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give specific details about your experience in the field you are applying for and how you would apply it in this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate. I was brought in as a former career employee and offered to be given the same salary as when I worked previously for a different agency (as if a lateral transfer).

Senior Scientist Interview

Interview

This is probably one of the most telling aspects of working at the DOE: I never was called for an interview for the job I held there. For my position, I had to do the standard federal KSA questions and forms. My former boss and his boss wanted to hire me specifically, so they tailored the questions for me. I submittted my application package and about 10 months later was hired. This kind of thing happens all the time at the DOE.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the salary I wanted.

Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Employee in Penn Pitt, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United States Department of Energy (Penn Pitt, PA).

Interview

it's a phone interview, the hiring PI asked a few technical questions. What is required is to introduce myself and my research project. It's a very welcome environment, and they introduced the collegues to me. Most of the interview is introduce the facility lab and the pay situation. Within 2 days they gave me the offer. The PI is very helpful in arranging my recruiting paper work, and he also gave me some papers to read to know about it.

Interview Questions

• there's no defficult question, all the interview went smooth and the communication is very easy.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pine Bluff, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Department of Energy (Pine Bluff, AR) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the summer opportunity.

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at United States Department of Energy (Golden, CO) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process was short and to the point. I was presented to department heads that were interested in my talent and ability. The HR Coordinator was responsive and I was selected for the position in a short time frame.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's your exprience with IT?
      Q: How do you handle stressful situations?
      Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Answer Question

General Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at United States Department of Energy (Washington, DC).

Interview

As for most (all?) federal govenment positions, you must submit application on USAJOBS.GOV. If you are selected for an interview, you go through a phone interview folllowed by an onsite interview in DC. If you get an offer, it is usually contigent on passing the background check. The whole process from applying online to starting a new job took four months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I believe you are always offered Step One of whatever grade level the job was advertised at. For example, if the job is adevrtised at GS11-12, you would be offered GS-11, Step 1. You can negotiate upward - usually based on your prior salary history.