United States Department of Energy Interview Questions

2.3

General Engineer/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at United States Department of Energy.

Contents of job application/resume are rated against key job parameters and ranked. If included in top 10 ranked applicants, may get an interview by phone or in person. Top 3 interviewees may get a 2nd interview. Hiring manager will then recommend top choice for an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Give specific details about your experience in the field you are applying for and how you would apply it in this job.   Answer Question
    I didn't have to negotiate. I was brought in as a former career employee and offered to be given the same salary as when I worked previously for a different agency (as if a lateral transfer).

Operations Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in February 2010.

It is a two interview process. First one is phone and the second is in person.

Interview Questions
    • How can you help this company be better.   View Answer
    It is a two stage process. First one is phone and the second is in person.

Senior Scientist Interview

This is probably one of the most telling aspects of working at the DOE: I never was called for an interview for the job I held there. For my position, I had to do the standard federal KSA questions and forms. My former boss and his boss wanted to hire me specifically, so they tailored the questions for me. I submittted my application package and about 10 months later was hired. This kind of thing happens all the time at the DOE.

I was able to negotiate the salary I wanted.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in March 2009.

I submitted to a formal interview by a committee of people from the office in which I would work. Each member had questions and all were given a chance to interact with me. The office administrator took the lead for the majority of the interview and made sure that each office member had plenty of opportunity to ask questions and followups. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and was quite amicable throughout.
    Followup the interview and offering of the position was done in a reasonable amount of time and done by phone and by official letter.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best evaluate program "X" (from this office)? It was obvious that this was a weakness in the office and they were looking to significantly improve this area.   Answer Question
    The offer was made and the salary and benefits explained. There were no negotiations for this essentially entry-level position.

Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Penn Pitt, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn Pitt, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at United States Department of Energy.

it's a phone interview, the hiring PI asked a few technical questions. What is required is to introduce myself and my research project. It's a very welcome environment, and they introduced the collegues to me. Most of the interview is introduce the facility lab and the pay situation. Within 2 days they gave me the offer. The PI is very helpful in arranging my recruiting paper work, and he also gave me some papers to read to know about it.

Interview Questions
    • there's no defficult question, all the interview went smooth and the communication is very easy.   Answer Question

Consultant Emergency Management Nuclear Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Ridge, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in October 2009.

Have to talk with contract companies that actually have contracts at DOE sites.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you the ideal candidate? Answer: I get things done fast.   View Answer
    Contract offer was suitable and salary was as expected.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in February 2009.

It was a long process due to internal HR processes

Non-existent

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pine Bluff, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pine Bluff, AR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in January 2013.

I applied online for the summer opportunity.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in February 2009.

in person interview

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States Department of Energy in August 2009.

My experience was atypical as I was hired to work on Recovery Act projects. The Department had to staff up dramatically and quickly, and as a result the bar was set pretty low. I submitted my application through USAJobs.gov, and about 3 weeks later was contacted for an interview. I interviewed with two people, who asked me pretty basic questions. In general when interviewing in my office they'll give you a print out of the questions they want you to answer, and you can take a minute to think about them. They have to ask everyone the same 5 or so questions. They're pretty generic; how do you work with a difficult colleague, how do you manage people, that kind of thing. The interview lasted less than an hour. I got a call a week later with an offer.

Again, though, this experience was atypical as this was a direct hire opportunity. I have since applied for several other positions within this office, so I'll describe the typical process. You have to apply through USAJobs. Chances are you won't hear anything until at least a month after the job closes. If you're selected for an interview it still goes pretty much as described above. However, typical selection is much different. With my initial interview the bar was very low, they had to hire 50 or so people in a few months, so a lot of people got in. Usually they're just hiring one person, so while there is a pool of 10 or 20 or more qualified applicants, the decision is entirely based upon the feelings of the selection official. The result is that they hire their friends from within the office, so it's pretty much impossible to be hired unless you're friends with the hiring official. The typical hiring process takes around 3 months, sometimes longer.

I didn't try to negotiate, and I should have. You can't negotiate the grade you come in at, but you may be able to negotiate the step, or at the very least a recruitment bonus or student loan repayment. Give it a try anyway.

Worked for United States Department of Energy? Contribute to the Community!