United States House of Representatives

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

District Representative Interview

District Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – Interview process was simple- it's more about who you know that can vouch for you and recommend you to the District Director, Legislative Director, Chief of Staff or anyone else in the office you are interviewing in.

Interview Question – My interview was a casual conversation about state politics and experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried negotiating but employer declined to negotiate.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – I had applied to my Congressman's office, but hadn't heard back so I emailed the internship coordinator and received a phone interview shortly after. It was very straightforward and nothing caught me off guard. It seemed more like they already decided to hire me, but just wanted to make sure I actually cared about the position. In a couple of weeks I received another email saying that I had received the internship.

Interview Question – Which of the Congressman's policy issues do you like the most.   Answer Question

Congressional Aide Interview

Congressional Aide
Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at United States House of Representatives in May 2012.

Interview Details – Started with direct email with Washington, DC office. Followed by an initial phone interview. Last round involved meeting legislative staff and interviewing with the Chief of Staff and Member of Congress.

Interview Question – Explain the legislative process in detail from beginning to end.   Answer Question

Field Representative and Caseworker Interview

Field Representative and Caseworker

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – From initial communication to landing the job took about 2 weeks and two in-person interviews. Very straightforward. They hired me not because of my experience (because I had none, really), but because of my enthusiasm for the job. It remains to date the best job I've ever had -- even after I've gone on to senior positions in the government.

Interview Question – No curveballs, just questions asking how well I worked in a team, how I liked fast-paced environments, how comfortable I felt working with high-level officials, etc. They were very fair, I thought, and didn't try to intimidate or anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really negotiate, since this was my first "real" job and a dream job at that!

Legislative Correspondent Interview

Legislative Correspondent

I applied through other source and interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – Changes depending on the office. Typically someone will post a job listing on one of the jobs sites and then bring you in to meet with a mid level staffer. you will then meet with the Chief of Staff and then with the member. The meeting with the member is typically a formality. By then the Chief has already made the decision.

Interview Question – Name a way you went above and beyond for a task?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at United States House of Representatives in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited for a phone interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and some offices will ask you what issues you agree and diagree

Interview Question – How do you handle multiple tasks at once?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the offer, not many Hill interns are paid.

Legislative Intern Interview

Legislative Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at United States House of Representatives in March 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty basic, asked how much I knew about the Congressman, why I wanted to work for this particular one and not another one, what I expected to gain from this experience, and what I look for in a boss. Surprisingly, interviewer did not ask much about my past job experiences.

Interview Question – Because I was working for a democrat, I was asked who my least favorite democratic president was and my favorite republican president   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 1 round of interviews, no negotiation.

Legislative Intern Interview

Legislative Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – I was initially approached due to my previous contact with the office. I was asked if I was interested, and when I indicated that I was, my point of contact set up a phone interview. I was asked what I had done in my previous internship, and what skills and knowledge I gained. I was then asked how my previous experience would help me in the new position.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked how I would be able to adjust to the new work environment.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Constituent Services Representative Interview

Constituent Services Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – I applied for the job and I received a call back the following week for an interview with a two senior staffers. The interview went well, and I was asked to provide a writing sample and come back the next day for an interview with the member and chief-of-staff. This interview was much harder/stressful. I was asked many difficult questions and they did not seem impressed or interested.

Interview Question – They asked me how I felt about specific pieces of legislation (some that had been passed years ago) and only referred to the legislation by the bill numbers. I asked them to be more specific and they look at me like I was a complete idiot.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. They offered the job, starting salary (which was incredibly low), and explained the benefits.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview Details – Response to applications depends upon the office - every Congressional Office works independently of one another. Usually offices require writing samples, references, and a resume. You will then be interviewed by a member of the staff - the position varies once again, but it is extremely unlikely that it will be the Member of Congress themselves.

Interview Question – What do you know about the legislation that the Congressman most recently introduced?   Answer Question

Worked for United States House of Representatives? Contribute to the Community!