United States Steel

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Analyst Interview

Network Analyst
Erie, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with US Steel in 2013 for a Network Analyst (or similar) position. The story goes something like this:

I met a fantastic lady at the job fair at my college campus, and we had a great talk about the metal industry (which I currently work in). She seemed very interested in giving me an interview, but warned me that my particular skills might be best suited for a position in a different department that currently had no openings. I was fine with this, because any interview experience is good experience in my book. They were nice enough to hold the interview on campus so that I didn't have to travel down to Pittsburgh. I was interviewed by two men who were very down-to-earth and friendly (one of them actually graduated from my college). It was fairly low-pressure. They ended up offering me a second interview, but I declined and said that I would keep an eye out for open positions in the more lucrative department (for me personally).

Interview Question – It's been a while since the interview, but I remember them asking about my experience with a few server-side technologies that were fairly challenging.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There was a different department that I would much rather have worked in, but there were currently no open positions.

Hourly Worker Interview

Hourly Worker
Ecorse, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2010.

Interview Details – You must take an assessment test, math skills, literacy skills, mechanical skill and space relations. If you pass those tests then you take an ethics test. After a couple of months you get an interview. If you get past the interview process, you will be scheduled for a physical and a drug test (urine and hair) and they watch you as you take your urine test. If after all of this if you pass, they contact you for training before you enter the plant.

Interview Question – This is a labor intensive workplace, what can you contribute as a woman in what is generally considered as a mans job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just assigned to a work area, and whatever that job paid you got.

IT Co-op/Intern Interview

IT Co-op/Intern

Interviewed at United States Steel

Interview Details – Recruited on college campus by United States Steel college recruiter. Took their intern test consisting of problem solving and simple logic tests. Interviewed after taking the test.

Interview Question – None, questions were general and easy   Answer Question

Union Steelworker Interview

Union Steelworker
Gary, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United States Steel in August 2010.

Interview Details – One phone interview. One aptitude test. One face-to-face interview. Offer

Interview Question – All random normal interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Very rigid on all accounts

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Interview process was very through. There was a big career day with tours of the facilities. The next day was our first round interviews. I then received a call to come back and interview with managers. The manager I interviewed with ended up being my manager for the internship in the summer.

Interview Question – Describe an analytical business case.   Answer Question

Utility Worker

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – online application assessment test formal interview drug testing physical

Interview Question – why should we hire you   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Management Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Question – All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Braddock, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Applied in January took the assessment test, super easy. E mailed two days later telling me to expect a phone interview, with in 2 weeks. Buddy of mine took only 3 days. Felony not a big deal

Interview Question – How can you improve our company   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Management Associate
Gary, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in October 2013.

Interview Details – Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Interview Questions

Utility Worker

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Online application, aptitude exam (very easy), phone interview, in person interview, drug and fitness screen, hiring pool or hired. If all these things occur and you pass you are hired.

Interview Question – Specific questions relating to my work history to a possible situation in working in the environment of a steel mill.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at United States Steel

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United States Steel interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by United States Steel employees and interview candidates.