United States Steel Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Erie, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2013.

I interviewed with US Steel in 2013 for a Network Analyst (or similar) position. The story goes something like this:

I met a fantastic lady at the job fair at my college campus, and we had a great talk about the metal industry (which I currently work in). She seemed very interested in giving me an interview, but warned me that my particular skills might be best suited for a position in a different department that currently had no openings. I was fine with this, because any interview experience is good experience in my book. They were nice enough to hold the interview on campus so that I didn't have to travel down to Pittsburgh. I was interviewed by two men who were very down-to-earth and friendly (one of them actually graduated from my college). It was fairly low-pressure. They ended up offering me a second interview, but I declined and said that I would keep an eye out for open positions in the more lucrative department (for me personally).

Interview Questions
    • It's been a while since the interview, but I remember them asking about my experience with a few server-side technologies that were fairly challenging.   Answer Question

There was a different department that I would much rather have worked in, but there were currently no open positions.

Hourly Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ecorse, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2010.

You must take an assessment test, math skills, literacy skills, mechanical skill and space relations. If you pass those tests then you take an ethics test. After a couple of months you get an interview. If you get past the interview process, you will be scheduled for a physical and a drug test (urine and hair) and they watch you as you take your urine test. If after all of this if you pass, they contact you for training before you enter the plant.

Interview Questions
    • This is a labor intensive workplace, what can you contribute as a woman in what is generally considered as a mans job?   View Answer
    No negotiation, just assigned to a work area, and whatever that job paid you got.

IT Co-op/Intern Interview

Recruited on college campus by United States Steel college recruiter. Took their intern test consisting of problem solving and simple logic tests. Interviewed after taking the test.

Union Steelworker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gary, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at United States Steel in August 2010.

One phone interview. One aptitude test. One face-to-face interview. Offer

Interview Questions
    None. Very rigid on all accounts

Accounting Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview process was very through. There was a big career day with tours of the facilities. The next day was our first round interviews. I then received a call to come back and interview with managers. The manager I interviewed with ended up being my manager for the internship in the summer.

Utility Worker Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

online application assessment test formal interview drug testing physical

Management Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions
    • All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Braddock, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Braddock, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel.

Applied in January took the assessment test, super easy. E mailed two days later telling me to expect a phone interview, with in 2 weeks. Buddy of mine took only 3 days. Felony not a big deal

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gary, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in October 2013.

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Utility Worker Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Online application, aptitude exam (very easy), phone interview, in person interview, drug and fitness screen, hiring pool or hired. If all these things occur and you pass you are hired.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions relating to my work history to a possible situation in working in the environment of a steel mill.   Answer Question

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!