United States Steel

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.9

Utility Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

online application assessment test formal interview drug testing physical

Anonymous Employee in Braddock, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Braddock, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel.

Applied in January took the assessment test, super easy. E mailed two days later telling me to expect a phone interview, with in 2 weeks. Buddy of mine took only 3 days. Felony not a big deal

Utility Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Online application, aptitude exam (very easy), phone interview, in person interview, drug and fitness screen, hiring pool or hired. If all these things occur and you pass you are hired.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions relating to my work history to a possible situation in working in the environment of a steel mill.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in October 2013.

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Laborious and structured. Expect multiple interviews, a lot of paperwork and red tape and medical requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to fill out by hand a lengthy paper "application".   Answer Question
    Little room to negotiate. Strict rules - take it or leave it mantality.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?

Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United States Steel in March 2013.

I interviewed with US Steel in 2013 for a Network Analyst (or similar) position. The story goes something like this:

I met a fantastic lady at the job fair at my college campus, and we had a great talk about the metal industry (which I currently work in). She seemed very interested in giving me an interview, but warned me that my particular skills might be best suited for a position in a different department that currently had no openings. I was fine with this, because any interview experience is good experience in my book. They were nice enough to hold the interview on campus so that I didn't have to travel down to Pittsburgh. I was interviewed by two men who were very down-to-earth and friendly (one of them actually graduated from my college). It was fairly low-pressure. They ended up offering me a second interview, but I declined and said that I would keep an eye out for open positions in the more lucrative department (for me personally).

Interview Questions
    • It's been a while since the interview, but I remember them asking about my experience with a few server-side technologies that were fairly challenging.   Answer Question

There was a different department that I would much rather have worked in, but there were currently no open positions.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel.

Got a call from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Performed my phone interview with very basic questions. Was told that I would get a reply for the position the following two weeks. Instead, I get no response from the company at all.

Chemical Engineer (New Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in February 2013.

The interview process went very well. It was hosted on a large university campus, with many other interviews before and after myself. Overall, the interview was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the steel business?   View Answer

I chose graduate school.

Management Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United States Steel.

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question