United States Steel Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.8

Utility Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Online application, aptitude exam (very easy), phone interview, in person interview, drug and fitness screen, hiring pool or hired. If all these things occur and you pass you are hired.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions relating to my work history to a possible situation in working in the environment of a steel mill.   Answer Question

Purchasing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in May 2011.

I applied online and they called me back for a phone interview. They seemed to like me because they called me again for an interview in person by two supply chain managers. They were very friendly and I had a good feeling from the interview. It was a pretty straightforward process. From what I gathered, the culture seemed older school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfield, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at United States Steel in October 2012.

The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Questions
    • Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Laborious and structured. Expect multiple interviews, a lot of paperwork and red tape and medical requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to fill out by hand a lengthy paper "application".   Answer Question
    Little room to negotiate. Strict rules - take it or leave it mantality.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?
        Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Chemical Engineer (New Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at United States Steel in February 2013.

The interview process went very well. It was hosted on a large university campus, with many other interviews before and after myself. Overall, the interview was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the steel business?   View Answer

I chose graduate school.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfield, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in January 2011.

Slow process. Had to interview with 5 different people some at the same time. Lots of questions but seemed like no one on the interviewing committee knew what they were talking about I got several different job descriptions for the same job(this should have clued me in) Wishwasy company. They asked me if I was interested in climbing the ladder due to my 3 degrees sure I wanted to climb the ladder but not at the expense of my family and life.

Interview Questions
    • What did my life look like 10 years from now?   View Answer
    came in at a low ball offer and I went back with a counter and they said I can take it or leave it (after about 2 weeks waiting) but I explained that I had 10 years experience and Masters in electrical engineering, associate in accounting and BS in physics but that not seem to matter I guess i should have known better then take a job like this I have never had anyone say take it or leave it.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel.

Got a call from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Performed my phone interview with very basic questions. Was told that I would get a reply for the position the following two weeks. Instead, I get no response from the company at all.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in July 2009.

The hiring process was quite slow, with multiple people performing long interviews. Some individuals had poignant questions filtered into the mix of the typical interview script, while others didn't appear to even appear to know what the job truly entailed (should've been my first clue not to consider their offer).
    After the tedious interview process, I had to wait weeks to hear anything.

Interview Questions
    • I usually go into an interview process inordinately prepared and did not consider any the questions I received to be difficult or unexpected (unexpected would require originality or creativity which is in very low supply with USS). This also should have been a major warning not to accept their offer.   Answer Question
    I was thrown a lowball offer initially. I immediately countered and received a slow counter (slow is a watchword with this company). After I rejected their counter I actually received a revised offer with some speed which was still unsatisfactory. They countered again, but it was so slow I actually had to call them and tell them I was going to accept another job offer the following day if they wanted to try to counter again. They gt back to me that same day and I accepted (never should have- I should've taken the other offer and run!).

Management Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at United States Steel.

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question