United States Steel Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014
Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.9

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?
        Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United States Steel in March 2013.

I interviewed with US Steel in 2013 for a Network Analyst (or similar) position. The story goes something like this:

I met a fantastic lady at the job fair at my college campus, and we had a great talk about the metal industry (which I currently work in). She seemed very interested in giving me an interview, but warned me that my particular skills might be best suited for a position in a different department that currently had no openings. I was fine with this, because any interview experience is good experience in my book. They were nice enough to hold the interview on campus so that I didn't have to travel down to Pittsburgh. I was interviewed by two men who were very down-to-earth and friendly (one of them actually graduated from my college). It was fairly low-pressure. They ended up offering me a second interview, but I declined and said that I would keep an eye out for open positions in the more lucrative department (for me personally).

Interview Questions
    • It's been a while since the interview, but I remember them asking about my experience with a few server-side technologies that were fairly challenging.   Answer Question

There was a different department that I would much rather have worked in, but there were currently no open positions.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel.

Got a call from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Performed my phone interview with very basic questions. Was told that I would get a reply for the position the following two weeks. Instead, I get no response from the company at all.

Chemical Engineer (New Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in February 2013.

The interview process went very well. It was hosted on a large university campus, with many other interviews before and after myself. Overall, the interview was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the steel business?   View Answer

I chose graduate school.

Management Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United States Steel.

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in October 2012.

The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Questions
    • Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Management Associate (Process Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in September 2012.

Had phone interview one week after applying online. and, had one on one interview one week after the phone interview

Operations Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in July 2012.

I applied online and received a call from an HR person to answer some follow up questions. I then received another call from HR and did a preliminary phone interview where I was asked some basic behavioral questions and what my salary requirement was. Next I was asked to come in for an in-person interview with the plant manager, the HR person, and three supervisors. All of the interviews were very formal and relaxed except the one with the plant manager. He was very straightforward and serious in his questions. After the interview I received a couple of calls back fro HR letting me know the interview went well and that they would be extending me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How does your previous work experience qualify you to do this job?   Answer Question

I declined due to the fact that the position requires you to work rotating shifts and I am still finishing my degree.

Mechanical Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in April 2012.

Why do you want to work for the company?
    Tell me about yourself.

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions
    • All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question