United States Steel

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Steel.

Short phone interview with HR followed by an hour long, in-person interview with management and HR. Overall, the process took about 4-5 weeks. The phone interview was a typical phone interview, mostly just going over what is on your resume and going over basic questions about yourself. The in-person interview was quite casual with somewhat of a conversation vibe at times. This allowed both the interviewers and myself to get a good idea of what I had to offer and what the position entailed. However, the interviewers still asked the majority of the questions.

Interview Questions
  • Explain to us a project you completed in a past internship or work assignment and the solution you found.

When have you found yourself in a leadership position?

Have you experienced a situation where there was miscommunication? What did you do to solve it?

Why do you think you would be right for this position? (Pretty much in any interview I have been in, no matter what the job is for, this question is always asked in some form. So, be ready for it.)

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for United States Steel

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at United States Steel in September 2014.

Applied through my school. Interview consisted of behavioural questions and the lady was not smiling or welcoming at all. She asked me of a time a played a leadership role. What do I know about the company?

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in October 2013.

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?

Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Management Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United States Steel.

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in October 2012.

The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Questions
    • Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions
    • All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Steel in November 2011.

Questions were asked regarding education and work experience. Along with favorite and least favorite University course.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at United States Steel.

Round 1 with HR. General Behavioral Questions.
    Round 2 onsite with the hiring manager.

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in November 2012.

Phone interviewed by HR person who called within a week of my application. The questions were fairly simple that included what did you do at the jobs/projects that you mentioned in your resume. The questions outside of the resume were why did you apply to US Steel, why did you pick your course or university and are you involved in any extra curricular activities in university/college? also asked the same questions that you filled out when applying online on their website. The phone interview went good but they have been very unorganized since. Three different HR employees have called/emailed me with very unprofessional emails and asked to set up an interview time but did not confirm anything and cancelled the timings that they offer themselves.

Interview Questions
    • What is you most favorite and least favorite course? Why?   Answer Question