United States Steel

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Question – All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Gary, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in October 2013.

Interview Details – Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Fairfield, AL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at United States Steel in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Question – Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Management Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Question – Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Management Associate

I applied online and interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
  • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
  • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at United States Steel in November 2011.

Interview Details – Questions were asked regarding education and work experience. Along with favorite and least favorite University course.

Interview Question – What was your favorite college course and why?   Answer Question

Management Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview Details – Round 1 with HR. General Behavioral Questions.
Round 2 onsite with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Not sure.   Answer Question

Management Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in November 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interviewed by HR person who called within a week of my application. The questions were fairly simple that included what did you do at the jobs/projects that you mentioned in your resume. The questions outside of the resume were why did you apply to US Steel, why did you pick your course or university and are you involved in any extra curricular activities in university/college? also asked the same questions that you filled out when applying online on their website. The phone interview went good but they have been very unorganized since. Three different HR employees have called/emailed me with very unprofessional emails and asked to set up an interview time but did not confirm anything and cancelled the timings that they offer themselves.

Interview Question – What is you most favorite and least favorite course? Why?   Answer Question

Interviewed at United States Steel

Interview Details – Only had interview with HR person. Basically went over the application process with me.

Interview Question – Asked me alot about my schooling, projects.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional communications with HR from the very beginning. I was run through phone interviews that consisted of a resume walk through. When i moved onto the next step it was a panel interview with 5 supervisors/managers. All in all the interview was very straight forward. It seemed like they were really looking for the right fit for USS.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – My offer was outstanding. No negotiation needed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at United States Steel

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United States Steel Management Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by United States Steel employees and interview candidates.