United States Steel Management Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Had an interview at Penn State campus first. This is the initial screening. You then won't hear back till months later if they want you for the full interview. The interview is an all day thing..

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for United States Steel

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Short phone interview with HR followed by an hour long, in-person interview with management and HR. Overall, the process took about 4-5 weeks. The phone interview was a typical phone interview, mostly just going over what is on your resume and going over basic questions about yourself. The in-person interview was quite casual with somewhat of a conversation vibe at times. This allowed both the interviewers and myself to get a good idea of what I had to offer and what the position entailed. However, the interviewers still asked the majority of the questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain to us a project you completed in a past internship or work assignment and the solution you found.

When have you found yourself in a leadership position?

Have you experienced a situation where there was miscommunication? What did you do to solve it?

Why do you think you would be right for this position? (Pretty much in any interview I have been in, no matter what the job is for, this question is always asked in some form. So, be ready for it.)

Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at United States Steel in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through my school. Interview consisted of behavioural questions and the lady was not smiling or welcoming at all. She asked me of a time a played a leadership role. What do I know about the company?

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?

Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Questions

• Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions

• All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

Questions were asked regarding education and work experience. Along with favorite and least favorite University course.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in May 2011.

Interview

Had a telephone interview first. About a week and a half later, I was invited to spend a day at the plant for an in person interview. Arrived to plant. Changed into the steel toe boots and fire resistant uniform they provided. I toured several sections of the plant and had interviews with personnel from different departments. Some were1 on 1. Some were a group of people.