United States Steel

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Shift Manager Interview

Operations Shift Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United States Steel in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call from an HR person to answer some follow up questions. I then received another call from HR and did a preliminary phone interview where I was asked some basic behavioral questions and what my salary requirement was. Next I was asked to come in for an in-person interview with the plant manager, the HR person, and three supervisors. All of the interviews were very formal and relaxed except the one with the plant manager. He was very straightforward and serious in his questions. After the interview I received a couple of calls back fro HR letting me know the interview went well and that they would be extending me an offer.

Interview Question – How does your previous work experience qualify you to do this job?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined due to the fact that the position requires you to work rotating shifts and I am still finishing my degree.

Operations Shift Manager Interview

Operations Shift Manager

The process took 5 days - interviewed at United States Steel in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewees were brought in as groups, mine consisted of about 12 people. People were then taken one by one to a room by one of 4 managers doing the hiring. I was taken to a room with a manager and 2 HR people. The interview was informal and didn't ask for much technical knowledge. I would say be relaxed, you're not interviewing to design a whole new plant, just to operate a section of one. You don't need to do differential equations for your interviewer, just display you understand the basics and are willing to work hard.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you, and what do you offer that the other 50 people that applied for this job don't.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate my salary, though I was able to get my first week vacation, which usually takes 6 months (3 weeks after one year) after just one month, as I already had my vacation planned.

Interviews for Top Jobs at United States Steel

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!