United Stationers

2.8

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at United Stationers in April 2010.

2 interviews with supervisor and human resource manager, asked where i previously worked , manager was nice and supervisor took me around the facility and toured the office. manager asked a few questions and then process was under way.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Stationers in February 2010.

Phone screen by HR followed by multiple interviews ( hiring manager and other managers)

MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at United Stationers.

Had a brief 1-1 interview at campus with a HR staff member. Then selected to a final round in Deerfield. When out with all candidates and senior leaders for dinner the night before. The following day I had 3 45 minute interviews with various people throughout the organization. These were people I would be working close with. Very laid back interviews. Resume walk through, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why do you want to work here, tell me a time when you had to deal with difficult people, what level is your Excel skills. Truly basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really threw me off. Having spent a year in an MBA program, you should not struggle with there questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set pay plus housing

Distribution Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City Industry, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Stationers in August 2012.

was called for a phone interview,and then a face to face with 2 supervisors.its been a week and i havent heard anything yet?i think they have a hard time deciding what they want.the is only part time too.

Interview Questions
    • tell us about a time when you went above and beyond to finish a task.   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Stationers in June 2011.

Interviewed with HR, Senior Manager, and another Supervisor. HR Manager asked several typical behavorial-type questions. Was called back early on a Monday to come in for second round of interviews, and basically asked if I wanted the job. So far no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a process you implemented   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a conflict with a coworker or manager and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at United Stationers in October 2010.

This was my first face to face interview at USSCO. I previously had a phone interview . The phone interview was easy and comfortable. My face to face was with an HR person and a manager. The people were great but, I was a little discouraged because, the questions were all "scripted". Some of these were questions that were asked in the phone interview. When I got to ask questions, I asked about the people that I will be supervising. Direct questions about turnover, etc. I read some of the postings about this company and was concerned. They claimed to have very little turnover. I am interested in this position but, they had 120 responses to the ad. So, I wont hear anything for 2-3 weeks

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received criticism from your boss during a performance review. What was it and how did you respond.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a hire that didn't work out. What happened and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranbury, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Stationers in June 2010.

Had a phone screen then a one on one in person interview, brought me in a second day to interview with another person. Nothing, no response after spending three hours of my time. Can't seem to make decisions and they don't seem to know what they want.

Interview Questions
    • The person currently reporting into this position is also interviewing for this job, how do you feel about that?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Stationers in December 2009.

I had an initial 1:1 interview with a recruiter. The process was very laid back. We basically just went through my resume, with her stopping every now and then to ask more questions about a previous job I had. It felt more like a a conversation than an interview.

For the second interview, they flew me out to Deerfield, paid for my hotel, and I had four interviews, each an hour long. Most were with different directors in marketing, and all were very similar to the first interview. They were much more converstaional, than behavioral based interviews. One interview was with a second recruiter and those questions were behavioral based.

Overall the whole process was very smooth and not very intimidating. Everyone in the office was very friendly and seemed happy to be there.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to go to your previous employer, what would they tell me I should be worried about if I was to hire you? (After I answered this, I was asked to give another example too)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you improved a process that the company then adapted.   Answer Question

I received a few offers at the time, and another offer fit my career goals more.

Management Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Stationers in February 2011.

Informal meeting with hiring manager and HR rep.

Operations Interview

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at United Stationers in December 2009.

Very organized and pleasant process from start to finish. They had on site interviews at my university, followed by interviews at there home office near Chicago. There were a series of 4-6 interviews at the home office in one day depending on desired position. This was tiring for candidates and interviewers alike, but was efficient and well organized. Received the offer about two weeks after final interview.

Interview Questions
    • MBA programs have a lot of team work involved. What is your specific role on the team and why do you think you are in that role.   Answer Question
    • What weaknesses do you have with working in groups... What is another weakness... What is another weakness?   View Answer

The company seemed great, yet I received another offer that i choose to accept instead.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!