United Technologies Interview Questions in Hartford, CT

2.8

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies in August 2014.

I was an internal applicant (having been an intern already) so I was automatically invited to the super day. There were two interviews with two interviewers each. The first I had was with two guys from Pratt who were very (read: very) casual. We joked around about college athletics and golf the entire time. The second was with two women, one of whom was playing "bad cop" and asking the tough interview questions, which after the first interview i had I wasn't prepared for. The second woman, who manages the intern program for the finance org in her BU, who I expected to ask the tough questions didn't. We talked about her life and why she likes working where she does. Nobody asked me technical questions, or anything about the company. I do know that they may have already been prejudiced to an opinion, as my supervisor and my area FLP recruiter already wrote a review as part of my application package that I am sure they read over prior to my interview. Lastly, they told all of the interns that we would hear back with a decision by mid-September. I only heard back from them on October 1st...We were starting to think it was a little rude considering now is the time we are also not putting our eggs all in one basket, so to speak.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you worked in a group and it didn't work out.   View Answer

Senior HIL Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies.

Contacted by a Senior Researcher and was told that they wanted to bring me on-site for an interview. The interview lasted from 8:30 - 3:30. None of the interviews was behaviour based. All the interviews were technical. My presentation was scheduled in the after noon. I spent the morning sessions talking about my presentation to be - and the afternoon about the work presented. Most of the senior researcher were very nice, and down to earth. The junior researcher were rather aggressive.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were about my past experience and other relevant examples that I could pull out.   Answer Question

Financial Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Technologies in August 2013.

The Financial Leadership Program interview process is a "super day". It is a four hour interview process where you have two hour-long interviews with two finance managers in the company. The interviewers are not well prepared. The interview process needs work. It is hit or miss with the interviewers. They also have FLP's help set-up the event. The FLP's are the superstars in their class, very kind and welcoming. The FLP's will keep you calm throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • They ask questions about your: analytical thinking, business judgement, and teamwork skills.

-Walk me through a situation/project that best exemplifies your analytical skills. What abilities did you utilize?
      -Tell me about a goal you have set for yourself, and you do go about achieving it.
      -How did you select your college?

-I see you were a member of XYZ Organization. Can you describe to me what you consider your major contribution and impact to the team?
      -Tell me about a time when you participated in a group. What was your role? Did you encounter any difficulties?
      -What challenges have you faced when working with others?
      -What have you learned from your mistakes?
      -Tell me how you influenced others to obtain an objective.

-Why did you choose the finance/accounting career path?
      -Describe a time when you suggested a way to improve a process.
      -What was your most useful criticism and who was it from?
      -Describe your most rewarding experience.
      -Describe a major problem you have encountered and how you dealt with it.

-Favorite Class/Least Favorite Class. Why?
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies in March 2013.

The hiring and interview process tends to be extremely long at UTC. I went through three interviews that were spaced out almost one to two weeks apart, and then didn't start until about three weeks after that. This could only apply to internships. There's a lot of competition for positions at UTC, so don't expect it to be a quick process. Learn as much as you can about the company before you're interview. It will give you a great advantage and they will be very impressed.

Interview Questions
    • "Explain a time when you had to make a difficult decision that also resulted in high risk with either outcome."   Answer Question

FLP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies in November 2012.

Applied through career services and was selected for an on campus interview. Standard interview asking to go through my resume and talk about experiences in groups. 3 weeks later I received a call inviting me to their second round at HQ. They reimbursed for travel expenses (though I still haven't gotten the check (6 weeks later) and paid for a room. 2nd interview was all day and included a tour at one of their facilities. There were 2 separate interviews which were with either one or two different interviewers. They said they needed 2-3 weeks before a decision would be made. After 3 weeks I hadn't heard so I followed up and was told they needed another couple of weeks. 3 weeks later i received an email saying I didn't get the job. Interview process was great until they took 6 weeks to give me a decision and after 6 weeks they haven't reimbursed expenses as promised.

Treasury Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at United Technologies in November 2011.

Treasury Manager and Assistant Manager were in room. They looked at my Resume, and Cover Letters, and they asked me about my background including education and previous job history. It wasnt a formal interview at all. It was really easy, I was expecting it much deeper and in detail, but I felt like it was more of an informal interview where we exchanged our background and what they are looking for. At the end they said they will let contact me if they would need me.

Interview Questions
    • Why there is a one year gap between your Undergrad degree and Masters degree?   Answer Question
    • Describe job roles at your previous job in detail?   Answer Question

Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hartford, CT

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Technologies in September 2011.

Everyone was very friendly and the interview was well run. Everything was very professional.

The interview was for a technical position. It was pretty standard, really. I spent 30-45 minutes with around 5 different research teams. None of the questions were particularly tough, just the normal run of the mill research-oriented stuff.

I also gave a 1 hr technical presentation to the entire team that was basically a re-hash of my PhD research (I was right out of school at the time). The audience was friendly and attentive.

About 3 weeks after the interview, the manager gave me a call and said that hiring priorities had changed and the position I interviewed for was no longer being funded. She apologized and asked me to keep UTRC in mind in the future.

Overall, however, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to clearly explain your research history to a room with 1-2 experts in your field and 10-12 people who are experts in some other field.

Be able to get into nitty-gritty technical details about your research, including details about how you set up your instruments and how you analyzed your data.

UTRC has a very broad business base - be sure you can point out ways your research can support very diverse applications.
        Answer Question

IT Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies in May 2011.

Was referred by a current employee. Two rounds of interviews, both were panel style. They asked about my background and were interested in what I did during my internships. Asked some technical questions, I think to judge ability to communicate technical concepts. Overall it was a good experience, everyone was very nice and I felt good about the company after leaving.

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Technologies in December 2010.

I initially applied to this program through their online portal at the end of November 2010. The first contact was initiated by UTC, who asked for a 5 slide power point describing an operations challenge that could potentially impact UTC's business. After I passed that in, (they only gave us two days to do it) I received a call the next day to schedule a phone interview. The interview was straight forward, questions like "why should we hire you", "Draw some connections between your experience and leadership", "what is your definition of a good leader", "what are your strengths", "what are your weaknesses"..Very typical behavioral questions for which you can easily prepare.

ITLP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies in November 2009.

They put you in a room with three other interviewers. Then there is a barrage of behavioral questions being thrown at you, as well as follow-up questions to all your answers. That is just the first interview. Then depending how you do, they follow up for another round of interviews, or decline you.

Interview Questions
    • They are conflict related questions, whether interpersonal or project related.   Answer Question