United Technologies Interview Questions in Hartford, CT

Updated May 31, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies (Farmington, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Very nice people who seem to genuinely want to get to know you. I interviewed at the corporate headquarters in Farmington. Interview lasted about 45 minutes and it is clear that they are passionate about their company so it would help to read up on the entire companies background before your interview (the different branches, types of operations etc.) i would definitely recommend UTC as a top notch place to work both for an internship as well as a career after college.

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United Technologies (Hartford, CT) in October 2014.

Interview

I interviewed on campus first. I was then invited to one of the company's two "Superday" interviews. Superday was two half hour interviews combined with a company tour.

Interview Questions

• Almost entirely behavioral questions. Some used only resume walk-through for the interview. One question that stood out - what do you think UTC needs to do in order to continue to grow and succeed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies (Farmington, CT) in August 2014.

Interview

I was an internal applicant (having been an intern already) so I was automatically invited to the super day. There were two interviews with two interviewers each. The first I had was with two guys from Pratt who were very (read: very) casual. We joked around about college athletics and golf the entire time. The second was with two women, one of whom was playing "bad cop" and asking the tough interview questions, which after the first interview i had I wasn't prepared for. The second woman, who manages the intern program for the finance org in her BU, who I expected to ask the tough questions didn't. We talked about her life and why she likes working where she does. Nobody asked me technical questions, or anything about the company. I do know that they may have already been prejudiced to an opinion, as my supervisor and my area FLP recruiter already wrote a review as part of my application package that I am sure they read over prior to my interview. Lastly, they told all of the interns that we would hear back with a decision by mid-September. I only heard back from them on October 1st...We were starting to think it was a little rude considering now is the time we are also not putting our eggs all in one basket, so to speak.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you worked in a group and it didn't work out.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies (Hartford, CT) in August 2014.

Interview

They fly you out to CT, and on the first day you attend a mixer in which you meet the people interviewing you for the program. The following day you go to a facility in which you have breakfast, and lunch bc you interview all day. The interviewers will sit at your table. Be nice and smile although it is really unclear what they are looking for. I believe it is a way to make you more nervous than you already are.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions, why should we hire you, what will you bring to the table, they will ask you about HR things. They don't ask much about the company   Answer Question

Senior HIL Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies (East Hartford, CT).

Interview

Contacted by a Senior Researcher and was told that they wanted to bring me on-site for an interview. The interview lasted from 8:30 - 3:30. None of the interviews was behaviour based. All the interviews were technical. My presentation was scheduled in the after noon. I spent the morning sessions talking about my presentation to be - and the afternoon about the work presented. Most of the senior researcher were very nice, and down to earth. The junior researcher were rather aggressive.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were about my past experience and other relevant examples that I could pull out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United Technologies (Farmington, CT) in August 2013.

Interview

The Financial Leadership Program interview process is a "super day". It is a four hour interview process where you have two hour-long interviews with two finance managers in the company. The interviewers are not well prepared. The interview process needs work. It is hit or miss with the interviewers. They also have FLP's help set-up the event. The FLP's are the superstars in their class, very kind and welcoming. The FLP's will keep you calm throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• They ask questions about your: analytical thinking, business judgement, and teamwork skills.

-Walk me through a situation/project that best exemplifies your analytical skills. What abilities did you utilize?
      -Tell me about a goal you have set for yourself, and you do go about achieving it.
      -How did you select your college?

-I see you were a member of XYZ Organization. Can you describe to me what you consider your major contribution and impact to the team?
      -Tell me about a time when you participated in a group. What was your role? Did you encounter any difficulties?
      -What challenges have you faced when working with others?
      -What have you learned from your mistakes?
      -Tell me how you influenced others to obtain an objective.

-Why did you choose the finance/accounting career path?
      -Describe a time when you suggested a way to improve a process.
      -What was your most useful criticism and who was it from?
      -Describe your most rewarding experience.
      -Describe a major problem you have encountered and how you dealt with it.

-Favorite Class/Least Favorite Class. Why?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at United Technologies (Hartford, CT) in March 2013.

Interview

The hiring and interview process tends to be extremely long at UTC. I went through three interviews that were spaced out almost one to two weeks apart, and then didn't start until about three weeks after that. This could only apply to internships. There's a lot of competition for positions at UTC, so don't expect it to be a quick process. Learn as much as you can about the company before you're interview. It will give you a great advantage and they will be very impressed.

Interview Questions

• "Explain a time when you had to make a difficult decision that also resulted in high risk with either outcome."   Answer Question

FLP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies (Hartford, CT) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied through career services and was selected for an on campus interview. Standard interview asking to go through my resume and talk about experiences in groups. 3 weeks later I received a call inviting me to their second round at HQ. They reimbursed for travel expenses (though I still haven't gotten the check (6 weeks later) and paid for a room. 2nd interview was all day and included a tour at one of their facilities. There were 2 separate interviews which were with either one or two different interviewers. They said they needed 2-3 weeks before a decision would be made. After 3 weeks I hadn't heard so I followed up and was told they needed another couple of weeks. 3 weeks later i received an email saying I didn't get the job. Interview process was great until they took 6 weeks to give me a decision and after 6 weeks they haven't reimbursed expenses as promised.

Treasury Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at United Technologies (Hartford, CT) in November 2011.

Interview

Treasury Manager and Assistant Manager were in room. They looked at my Resume, and Cover Letters, and they asked me about my background including education and previous job history. It wasnt a formal interview at all. It was really easy, I was expecting it much deeper and in detail, but I felt like it was more of an informal interview where we exchanged our background and what they are looking for. At the end they said they will let contact me if they would need me.

Interview Questions

• Why there is a one year gap between your Undergrad degree and Masters degree?   Answer Question
    • Describe job roles at your previous job in detail?   Answer Question

Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United Technologies (East Hartford, CT) in September 2011.

Interview

Everyone was very friendly and the interview was well run. Everything was very professional.

The interview was for a technical position. It was pretty standard, really. I spent 30-45 minutes with around 5 different research teams. None of the questions were particularly tough, just the normal run of the mill research-oriented stuff.

I also gave a 1 hr technical presentation to the entire team that was basically a re-hash of my PhD research (I was right out of school at the time). The audience was friendly and attentive.

About 3 weeks after the interview, the manager gave me a call and said that hiring priorities had changed and the position I interviewed for was no longer being funded. She apologized and asked me to keep UTRC in mind in the future.

Overall, however, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Be able to clearly explain your research history to a room with 1-2 experts in your field and 10-12 people who are experts in some other field.

Be able to get into nitty-gritty technical details about your research, including details about how you set up your instruments and how you analyzed your data.

UTRC has a very broad business base - be sure you can point out ways your research can support very diverse applications.

Answer Question