United Technologies Interview Questions

2.9

ITLP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in November 2009.

They put you in a room with three other interviewers. Then there is a barrage of behavioral questions being thrown at you, as well as follow-up questions to all your answers. That is just the first interview. Then depending how you do, they follow up for another round of interviews, or decline you.

Interview Questions
    • They are conflict related questions, whether interpersonal or project related.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2014.

Initially contacted from resume posted on a major job board. Phone screening with an internal recruiter, then a second phone screen with site manager, lasting a solid hour. Finally, a full day of on-site interviews (and site tour) with several department heads and HR management/staff. Most interviews were 2:1, with co-ordination of questions in advance. Minimal repetition of responses.

Interview Questions
    • Extensive use of behavioral interview techniques throughout the on-site visit. Most Q's included the follow-up, "What did you learn", or "what would you do differently", or "critique you handling of that situation".   Answer Question

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at United Technologies in January 2011.

I submitted an online application and was soon contacted via email and told that I would have 2 days to prepare a 5-slide presentation in which I would need to "creatively introduce" myself and then identify an operations-related challenge facing UTC, explain the implications of the issue, and create a list of short-term and long-term recommendations to address the issue.

After I submitted the presentation, I was contacted for a phone interview with their program manager. The phone interview was straight-forward and we discussed my work/school experience, my career goals, a general overview of the program, etc. Next, I had to complete an online assessment which included a values assessment and then a work-related personality test.

Finally, there was a 2-day on-site interview. The first day consisted of a plant tour, a presentation from a current program associate, and a dinner. After dinner, they assigned a "homework assignment", in which we needed to creatively introduce ourselves (again!) and then read a case study and identify key issues, implications, and recommendations. The next morning, each candidate introduced themselves and shared their analysis of the case study in front of the other candidates and a 5-person interview panel. Candidates also had to work together to solve a supplier issue related to the case and then conduct a roleplay meeting. After lunch, there were 3 one-on-one interviews with members of the panel. Most of the questions were behavioral and some were about why you were interested in operations, the company, and the program.

I had a neutral opinion about their interview process up until on-site interview. During their on-site interviews, they blatantly insulted one of their competitors multiple times. Additionally, throughout the process, I was surprised (perhaps even shocked) by how demanding UTC was to the candidates, considering that the program is so new.

Interview Questions
    • What sort of job would you like to be doing in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you had to make an ethical decision.   Answer Question

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2012.

Two rounds of general HR interview, 1 'about yourself' presentation, 1 technical stress interview, 1 case study analysis, 1 role play, 1 one-on-one interview

No negotiations encouraged

Electronic Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2013.

Applied to the posting through their website and received an email asking for a phone interview 3 days later. Did the phone interview and one week later was offered an on site interview. The on site interview was in Syracuse NY and was fully paid for by the company. Interview was extremely technical and the interviewers showed me electrical schematics and asked what certain components were doing based on the specific setup of the schematic. Interviews lasted all day starting from 8am until 3pm. Day full of interviews with a lunch and work site tour budged into the itenieary. From point of applying to job until on site interview took about a month. 3wks later and I'm still waiting on their decision. Extremely long process.

Interview Questions
    • Basically alll technical questions: What is the purpose of this micro controller and what does each pins function?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at United Technologies in May 2010.

2 interviews and 2 tests. The 1st test was general aptitude. The 2nd test was Technical aptitude. The 1st interview was technical and mostly towards the mechanical side. The 2nd Interview was HR.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in March 2011.

Phone interview with hiring manager the interview lasted about 45 minutes, then an in person interview again with manager and his staff. During the in person interview you walk around the site to see what they have done and what the next steps are. Once you are invited in for an in person interview your chances of receiving an offer are fairly good if you have a good interview.

Interview Questions
    • Were your results measurable? How so? Did you save the company money? How much? Were you able to reduce costs? Reduce manufacturing time? How much time?   Answer Question

Avionics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stratford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at United Technologies in April 2010.

The interview was conducted at a large conference. I spoke one-on-one with a senior engineer and the conversation was usual (i.e. on the technical side). I had a follow-up interview later that day. I received an offer a few days later. It was not what I was expecting so I declined it.

Interview Questions
    • What sort of obstacles do you encounter on a daily basis as a lead for a large software development program?   Answer Question

IT Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in May 2011.

Was referred by a current employee. Two rounds of interviews, both were panel style. They asked about my background and were interested in what I did during my internships. Asked some technical questions, I think to judge ability to communicate technical concepts. Overall it was a good experience, everyone was very nice and I felt good about the company after leaving.

Leadership Rotational Program Interview

Standard interview with S.T.A.R question format, behavioral questions, roughly 45 minutes, interviewer had no knowledge of what the process would look like after the interview. Never got back to me, got the feeling interviewer had no control over the process aside from sending along interview results to HQ.

Interview Questions
    • Traditional behavioral questions, "tell me about a time.."   Answer Question

Worked for United Technologies? Contribute to the Community!