United Technologies

Very Difficult Interview

ITLP Interview

ITLP
Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in November 2009.

Interview Details – They put you in a room with three other interviewers. Then there is a barrage of behavioral questions being thrown at you, as well as follow-up questions to all your answers. That is just the first interview. Then depending how you do, they follow up for another round of interviews, or decline you.

Interview Question – They are conflict related questions, whether interpersonal or project related.   Answer Question

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

Operations Leadership Program Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at United Technologies in January 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application and was soon contacted via email and told that I would have 2 days to prepare a 5-slide presentation in which I would need to "creatively introduce" myself and then identify an operations-related challenge facing UTC, explain the implications of the issue, and create a list of short-term and long-term recommendations to address the issue.

After I submitted the presentation, I was contacted for a phone interview with their program manager. The phone interview was straight-forward and we discussed my work/school experience, my career goals, a general overview of the program, etc. Next, I had to complete an online assessment which included a values assessment and then a work-related personality test.

Finally, there was a 2-day on-site interview. The first day consisted of a plant tour, a presentation from a current program associate, and a dinner. After dinner, they assigned a "homework assignment", in which we needed to creatively introduce ourselves (again!) and then read a case study and identify key issues, implications, and recommendations. The next morning, each candidate introduced themselves and shared their analysis of the case study in front of the other candidates and a 5-person interview panel. Candidates also had to work together to solve a supplier issue related to the case and then conduct a roleplay meeting. After lunch, there were 3 one-on-one interviews with members of the panel. Most of the questions were behavioral and some were about why you were interested in operations, the company, and the program.

I had a neutral opinion about their interview process up until on-site interview. During their on-site interviews, they blatantly insulted one of their competitors multiple times. Additionally, throughout the process, I was surprised (perhaps even shocked) by how demanding UTC was to the candidates, considering that the program is so new.

Interview Questions

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

Operations Leadership Program Associate
Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2012.

Interview Details – Two rounds of general HR interview, 1 'about yourself' presentation, 1 technical stress interview, 1 case study analysis, 1 role play, 1 one-on-one interview

Negotiation Details – No negotiations encouraged

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Electronic Design Engineer Interview

Electronic Design Engineer
Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied to the posting through their website and received an email asking for a phone interview 3 days later. Did the phone interview and one week later was offered an on site interview. The on site interview was in Syracuse NY and was fully paid for by the company. Interview was extremely technical and the interviewers showed me electrical schematics and asked what certain components were doing based on the specific setup of the schematic. Interviews lasted all day starting from 8am until 3pm. Day full of interviews with a lunch and work site tour budged into the itenieary. From point of applying to job until on site interview took about a month. 3wks later and I'm still waiting on their decision. Extremely long process.

Interview Question – Basically alll technical questions: What is the purpose of this micro controller and what does each pins function?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Human Resources Business Partner
Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initially contacted from resume posted on a major job board. Phone screening with an internal recruiter, then a second phone screen with site manager, lasting a solid hour. Finally, a full day of on-site interviews (and site tour) with several department heads and HR management/staff. Most interviews were 2:1, with co-ordination of questions in advance. Minimal repetition of responses.

Interview Question – Extensive use of behavioral interview techniques throughout the on-site visit. Most Q's included the follow-up, "What did you learn", or "what would you do differently", or "critique you handling of that situation".   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at United Technologies in May 2010.

Interview Details – 2 interviews and 2 tests. The 1st test was general aptitude. The 2nd test was Technical aptitude. The 1st interview was technical and mostly towards the mechanical side. The 2nd Interview was HR.

Interview Question – What is it that UTC doesnt make on an airplane??   Answer Question

Senior HIL Research Engineer Interview

Senior HIL Research Engineer
East Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United Technologies.

Interview Details – Contacted by a Senior Researcher and was told that they wanted to bring me on-site for an interview. The interview lasted from 8:30 - 3:30. None of the interviews was behaviour based. All the interviews were technical. My presentation was scheduled in the after noon. I spent the morning sessions talking about my presentation to be - and the afternoon about the work presented. Most of the senior researcher were very nice, and down to earth. The junior researcher were rather aggressive.

Interview Question – All the questions were about my past experience and other relevant examples that I could pull out.   Answer Question

Global Commodity Manager Interview

Global Commodity Manager
Michigan City, IN

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at United Technologies in April 2010.

Interview Details – - Carrier Corporation: eight interviews total, including 1:1 phone interviews, a panel interview on the phone, and two 1:1 face-to-face interviews.
Great corporate culture and friendly process.

- Hamilton Sundstrand Industrial (smaller business unit): business case, 1:1 face-to-face interview, and one phone interview.

Interview Question – All questions were standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate my salaries.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Rockford, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at United Technologies in November 2011.

Interview Details – Why do you want to work for United Technologies

Interview Question – How do you manage a difficult co worker   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple and straightforward

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Engineering Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at United Technologies in December 2009.

Interview Details – Very easy and knowledgeble panel. More of a get to know you than a knowledge question and answer process

Interview Question – What was your favorite class?   Answer Question

Worked for United Technologies? Contribute to the Community!