United Technologies
www.utc.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

United Technologies Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Farmington, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at United Technologies in December 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied to this program through their online portal at the end of November 2010. The first contact was initiated by UTC, who asked for a 5 slide power point describing an operations challenge that could potentially impact UTC's business. After I passed that in, (they only gave us two days to do it) I received a call the next day to schedule a phone interview. The interview was straight forward, questions like "why should we hire you", "Draw some connections between your experience and leadership", "what is your definition of a good leader", "what are your strengths", "what are your weaknesses"..Very typical behavioral questions for which you can easily prepare.

Interview Questions

Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at United Technologies in February 2012.

Interview Details – Two rounds of general HR interview, 1 'about yourself' presentation, 1 technical stress interview, 1 case study analysis, 1 role play, 1 one-on-one interview

Negotiation Details – No negotiations encouraged

Operations Leadership Program Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at United Technologies in January 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application and was soon contacted via email and told that I would have 2 days to prepare a 5-slide presentation in which I would need to "creatively introduce" myself and then identify an operations-related challenge facing UTC, explain the implications of the issue, and create a list of short-term and long-term recommendations to address the issue.

After I submitted the presentation, I was contacted for a phone interview with their program manager. The phone interview was straight-forward and we discussed my work/school experience, my career goals, a general overview of the program, etc. Next, I had to complete an online assessment which included a values assessment and then a work-related personality test.

Finally, there was a 2-day on-site interview. The first day consisted of a plant tour, a presentation from a current program associate, and a dinner. After dinner, they assigned a "homework assignment", in which we needed to creatively introduce ourselves (again!) and then read a case study and identify key issues, implications, and recommendations. The next morning, each candidate introduced themselves and shared their analysis of the case study in front of the other candidates and a 5-person interview panel. Candidates also had to work together to solve a supplier issue related to the case and then conduct a roleplay meeting. After lunch, there were 3 one-on-one interviews with members of the panel. Most of the questions were behavioral and some were about why you were interested in operations, the company, and the program.

I had a neutral opinion about their interview process up until on-site interview. During their on-site interviews, they blatantly insulted one of their competitors multiple times. Additionally, throughout the process, I was surprised (perhaps even shocked) by how demanding UTC was to the candidates, considering that the program is so new.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at United Technologies

Worked for United Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Technologies Operations Leadership Program Associate interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by United Technologies employees and interview candidates.