United Technologies

Updated Dec 23, 2014

3.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies in December 2014.

Applied on Monster. Had a phone screening interview, got passed to the next round, which was another phone interview. She asked about 8 behavior questions, it was pretty easy, and told me she was passing me through to the next round, which would be an in-person interview in Connecticut. The next day I received an e-mail from another HR person giving me an assignment that was to identify an operations challenge UTC will face in the near future (with no provided resources and without ever stepping foot in a facility), give a short term and long term solution that both utilize lean principles and use charts and graphs. This was to be done in a PowerPoint and then presented during my in-person interview. The second part of this assignment, which was sent moments later, was to read a case study and identify customer relations, supply chain, and operations issues, and give recommendations for short term and long term solutions, again, in another Powerpoint. I was given 48 hours to do these two assignments. This was a problem because this was in the midst of my finals week at Purdue in which I had 3 finals in the 48 hour span I was given to complete this assignment. I immediately e-mailed the lady back and asked for a two day extension so that I could complete my finals then have one day to complete the assignments. Twenty four hours later I had no response, so I e-mailed her again and eventually got the response "I've extended you to Friday." The assignments took about 6-7 hours total. Four days after I submitted them, I got an e-mail back saying I wasn't selected to continue to the next round, even though the person that interviewed me had already told me I was going to the next round. I got the impression they didn't like that I couldn't complete their assignment in 2 days during my finals week and expected me to put them ahead of my education. This entire process was a complete waste of my time and energy and I would not want to work for a company who displays these values. The HR department is clearly not on the same page with each other, and the e-mails I received were curt and unprofessional. I'm not sure UTC understands the steps of their own interview process.

Other Interview Reviews for United Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Technologies in December 2010.

I initially applied to this program through their online portal at the end of November 2010. The first contact was initiated by UTC, who asked for a 5 slide power point describing an operations challenge that could potentially impact UTC's business. After I passed that in, (they only gave us two days to do it) I received a call the next day to schedule a phone interview. The interview was straight forward, questions like "why should we hire you", "Draw some connections between your experience and leadership", "what is your definition of a good leader", "what are your strengths", "what are your weaknesses"..Very typical behavioral questions for which you can easily prepare.

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United Technologies in February 2012.

Two rounds of general HR interview, 1 'about yourself' presentation, 1 technical stress interview, 1 case study analysis, 1 role play, 1 one-on-one interview

No negotiations encouraged

Operations Leadership Program Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at United Technologies in January 2011.

I submitted an online application and was soon contacted via email and told that I would have 2 days to prepare a 5-slide presentation in which I would need to "creatively introduce" myself and then identify an operations-related challenge facing UTC, explain the implications of the issue, and create a list of short-term and long-term recommendations to address the issue.

After I submitted the presentation, I was contacted for a phone interview with their program manager. The phone interview was straight-forward and we discussed my work/school experience, my career goals, a general overview of the program, etc. Next, I had to complete an online assessment which included a values assessment and then a work-related personality test.

Finally, there was a 2-day on-site interview. The first day consisted of a plant tour, a presentation from a current program associate, and a dinner. After dinner, they assigned a "homework assignment", in which we needed to creatively introduce ourselves (again!) and then read a case study and identify key issues, implications, and recommendations. The next morning, each candidate introduced themselves and shared their analysis of the case study in front of the other candidates and a 5-person interview panel. Candidates also had to work together to solve a supplier issue related to the case and then conduct a roleplay meeting. After lunch, there were 3 one-on-one interviews with members of the panel. Most of the questions were behavioral and some were about why you were interested in operations, the company, and the program.

I had a neutral opinion about their interview process up until on-site interview. During their on-site interviews, they blatantly insulted one of their competitors multiple times. Additionally, throughout the process, I was surprised (perhaps even shocked) by how demanding UTC was to the candidates, considering that the program is so new.

Interview Questions
    • What sort of job would you like to be doing in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you had to make an ethical decision.   Answer Question