United Way

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Administration Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at United Way in October 2011.

United Way-Sacramento/Rancho Cordova responded very quickly after receiving and reviewing my resume. I was scheduled quickly and for an early time slot. A time for the interview was offered and no other information was provided other than the decided time and that the interview was a panel interview. I was expecting a phone interview and surprised that that was not the case. The interviewers had printed and prepared questions for the interview. The interviewers provided a very nice booklet on the United Way and its mission and services. My interviewers were very professional and passionate about the United Way! I found this to be a very attractive company. I think working for the United Way could provide an opportunity to expand your personal development and gain rewarding experiences in a non profit arena.

Interview Questions
  • Describe how you keep yourself organized.   View Answer

I declined the offer because the pay scale was extremely low! The position called for a great deal of executive interaction and interaction with just about every level of the organization right down to the supervision of volunteers. The position had been labeled "a catch-all" position which as we all know is not a good place to start with many levels of undefined and or unarticulated work requirements. I would have accepted the position if the pay correlated to the position (job duties). I was willing to put in the extra hours that I know would be an expectation of this job. I gathered that from the panel that interviewed me with their statements that they worked on average of 14 hour days. I took that as an honest articulation and expectation of the same for their incoming manager. Lastly, this position did include the supervision of A/R and A/P personnel. Working for the United Way would be a personal growth opportunity but I could just not afford to take the extremely low pay and continue to develop professionally. I did respond with a well written letter but I received no response from the Senior VP that was interacting with me. My expectation at minimum from her was recognition and acknowledgement of receipt of my notice of decline. I think that United Way is very junior in the hiring process and that they really need to either involve their HR department and or update and add a knowledgeable and experienced HR group. I was never provided a Consent and Release for the background check? In fact, I asked for it when I was contacted for my list of references and request to call with my SSN. I was not going to call with my SSN! A knowledgeable group would have provided a Consent and Release acknowledgement and or turned over the process to a skilled background company or HR department. This too was concerning. Either the Senior VP did not want to step away from the process (controlling) or they are that inexperienced and uninformed of the particular and strict laws related to the background/drug screen process. My impression of the United Way is that they are a very good organization with a very dedicated and passionate group. I think they have a great deal to offer in terms of personal development and new experiences. However, they have quite a way to go in terms of correlating salary and position. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the organization is a non profit group. If you want quality personnel that will be grow and develop in the organization salary is an important component to securing these types of professional staff members.