United Way

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.7

Community Impact Interview

I applied online and then had one phone interview. I was offered the job before i even hung up. The on boarding process was a bit awkward. They threw me in a room and introduced me to everyone at the company one on one. Each in counter lasted about 15 seconds. Other than this first awkward filled day, It was a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are simple for the most part. The interview started with the generic tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Vista Interview

I got an interview because I called, showed interest, and asked the right questions. The first part of the interview was lead by the main interviewer. She asked lots of typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • The second part was a round robin with three or four other people asking objection questions such as: how do you feel about having a positive attitude while working with the poor, how are you going to adapt to a different culture (I was moving), etc.   View Answer
    No negotiation, this is a VISTA position. If you are interested in coming back as a VISTA leader / want to work for them mention it early. (Great way to get your foot in the door by working for them for two years first, though I haven't started working for them yet.)

Campaign Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Way.

After applying online, a phone interview answering behavioral type questions. The in-person interview was a 5 minute presentation on United Way. Don't go over 5 minutes! Being concise and impactful is important, don't read straight from a paper. I focused on expanding on the mission and did my research to be able to present relevant statistics.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Very lax - was interviewed informally and my hiring director left the company one week after I started. Very unorganized and not a proper structure. Told me that they would structure position around me and then did not.

Director - Event Planning Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at United Way.

I first applied for the opportunity via a job board with no response from the hiring manager. Over six months later I was referred to the hiring manager by her management. This referral led to an interview.

During the interview with the hiring manager, it was evident she had not looked at my resume. It took her a minute to locate my resume among the piles of paper on her desk. Her questions were surface. Not one of her questions attempted to understand how I would perform in the role or draw a parallel between my experience and how i would successfully apply it.

The interview lasted approximately 20 minutes and her demeanor was absolutely off-putting. The most bizarre aspect of the interview were her descriptions about how she survived working at the organization through multiple layoff rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot recall a difficult or unexpected question. Though there were unexpected comments from the interviewer.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Way in July 2014.

Everyone was very nice. It was a group interview process. They told me about the job and asked a few questions about my experience. I asked several questions also.

Data Entry Interview

Very pleasant, overall no complaints. Very professionally handled, no "curveball" type questions. My interviewer ensured that I was comfortable and additionally was very personable. I was not kept waiting long. Overall, pleasant experience

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, as I didn't need one

Resource Development Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

The interview process is very simple. Having past experience in the industry is a plus.

It was a base salary. No room for negotiations as with most nonprofits.

Education Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

Applied online about 3 weeks later received a call for a in person interview. Fairly easy interview with two people. Didn't make it to the 2nd round but felt very positive about the interview, perhaps it just wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • None, Felt they could of posed more challenging questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

About a week after submitting my application online, I was called by an HR rep at the company to schedule an interview. My interview was scheduled for one week later, and was a panel of three people in the department I was applying to. The interview was short, and they didn't ask anything unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - asked about what types of software I was familiar with and my experiences managing events and budgets.   Answer Question