United Way

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.7

Director, Community Impact and Investment Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at United Way.

I was hired as a temporary employee to perform a position in the community that I worked with United Way on for several years. I was laid-off and they asked me to help them temporarily, so there was no interview. When I demonstrated the skills for an open position, I was promoted.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. My reputation and background was well-known, and many of the people that I worked with at my last position, I continue to work with in this position.   Answer Question
    tough, but I got more than I made at my previous job

Accounting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at United Way.

Interview was with two people. The interview process was really relaxed, conversational. They both were believers in United Way before they obtained their current positions. Very nice. This was a positive interview experience, they ended up hiring within.

Community Impact Interview

I applied online and then had one phone interview. I was offered the job before i even hung up. The on boarding process was a bit awkward. They threw me in a room and introduced me to everyone at the company one on one. Each in counter lasted about 15 seconds. Other than this first awkward filled day, It was a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are simple for the most part. The interview started with the generic tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Vista Interview

I got an interview because I called, showed interest, and asked the right questions. The first part of the interview was lead by the main interviewer. She asked lots of typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • The second part was a round robin with three or four other people asking objection questions such as: how do you feel about having a positive attitude while working with the poor, how are you going to adapt to a different culture (I was moving), etc.   View Answer
    No negotiation, this is a VISTA position. If you are interested in coming back as a VISTA leader / want to work for them mention it early. (Great way to get your foot in the door by working for them for two years first, though I haven't started working for them yet.)

Campaign Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Way.

After applying online, a phone interview answering behavioral type questions. The in-person interview was a 5 minute presentation on United Way. Don't go over 5 minutes! Being concise and impactful is important, don't read straight from a paper. I focused on expanding on the mission and did my research to be able to present relevant statistics.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Very lax - was interviewed informally and my hiring director left the company one week after I started. Very unorganized and not a proper structure. Told me that they would structure position around me and then did not.

Director - Event Planning Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at United Way.

I first applied for the opportunity via a job board with no response from the hiring manager. Over six months later I was referred to the hiring manager by her management. This referral led to an interview.

During the interview with the hiring manager, it was evident she had not looked at my resume. It took her a minute to locate my resume among the piles of paper on her desk. Her questions were surface. Not one of her questions attempted to understand how I would perform in the role or draw a parallel between my experience and how i would successfully apply it.

The interview lasted approximately 20 minutes and her demeanor was absolutely off-putting. The most bizarre aspect of the interview were her descriptions about how she survived working at the organization through multiple layoff rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot recall a difficult or unexpected question. Though there were unexpected comments from the interviewer.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Way in July 2014.

Everyone was very nice. It was a group interview process. They told me about the job and asked a few questions about my experience. I asked several questions also.

AmeriCorps Family Navigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way in June 2014.

Submit application, phone interview, one-on-one interview, writing sample, and panel interview. Friendly staff, typical questions. If you are passionate and actually want this job (I can't see why you would apply if you didn't, such a small stipend!) then you will be able to answer the questions easily. Just show passion and excitement. The staff is friendly, didn't feel like an interrogation, but a friendly conversation where the people actually felt invested in my answers. Went for probably over an hour on the group panel interview. Sometimes previous members will sit on the panel as well.

No Negotiation, AmeriCorps stipend.

Data Entry Interview

Very pleasant, overall no complaints. Very professionally handled, no "curveball" type questions. My interviewer ensured that I was comfortable and additionally was very personable. I was not kept waiting long. Overall, pleasant experience

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, as I didn't need one