United Way

Updated Feb 12, 2015
Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.7

AmeriCorps Family Navigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way in June 2014.

Submit application, phone interview, one-on-one interview, writing sample, and panel interview. Friendly staff, typical questions. If you are passionate and actually want this job (I can't see why you would apply if you didn't, such a small stipend!) then you will be able to answer the questions easily. Just show passion and excitement. The staff is friendly, didn't feel like an interrogation, but a friendly conversation where the people actually felt invested in my answers. Went for probably over an hour on the group panel interview. Sometimes previous members will sit on the panel as well.

No Negotiation, AmeriCorps stipend.

Data Entry Interview

Very pleasant, overall no complaints. Very professionally handled, no "curveball" type questions. My interviewer ensured that I was comfortable and additionally was very personable. I was not kept waiting long. Overall, pleasant experience

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, as I didn't need one

Resource Development Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

The interview process is very simple. Having past experience in the industry is a plus.

It was a base salary. No room for negotiations as with most nonprofits.

Education Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

Applied online about 3 weeks later received a call for a in person interview. Fairly easy interview with two people. Didn't make it to the 2nd round but felt very positive about the interview, perhaps it just wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • None, Felt they could of posed more challenging questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

About a week after submitting my application online, I was called by an HR rep at the company to schedule an interview. My interview was scheduled for one week later, and was a panel of three people in the department I was applying to. The interview was short, and they didn't ask anything unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - asked about what types of software I was familiar with and my experiences managing events and budgets.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Way.

I applied via their online portal and got a phone interview with two members of the team. The interview was pretty straight-forward - very job specific and less personality oriented. They were specifically looking for someone with a lot of experience in events and list management, which was not my niche.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was entirely difficult or unexpected. They simply asked detailed questions about common questions. i.e. In regards to list management: what programs have you used, are you familiar with the backend, etc.   Answer Question

Director, Community Impact Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone screen and two in-person interviews. You should have a really good sense of the major policy issues, trends and challenges in the field. Major plus if you know how to analyze data. Also be sure to be able to demonstrate your knowledge about what is happening in the community. Also a plus if you already know people in the field that you could potentially work with if you got the job. Community Impact is full of smart, committed people that are passionate about the work. Demonstrate your passion too.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't have a ton of experience in the field, then it will be difficult to answer specific questions about your previous work. Also, if you don't have a good sense of public policy issues you might have difficultly answering some of the questions.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at United Way in January 2014.

Resume submitted by a current employee, had phone interview the same day. During phone interview was asked to come in for in person interview. Immediately after in person interview was asked to come back for second interview. Was then told one of the members of panel interview could not attend, asked for a second phone interview. Before completing completing second in person interview all of my references were called including my current employer. Completed second in person interview and after following up was informed I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if 3 people came to you at the same time with tasks that needed to be completed right away?   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

Posted in local newspaper. Board Members screened applications, narrowed to 3-6 to interview. 2 Board members conducted initial intervews. Called for a second interview with additional Board members. Board met to make their decision and a representative call with the job offer.

Finance Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at United Way in October 2013.

Although I was referred for the position by a board member, the interviewer failed to contact me to acknowledge receipt of my resume or to schedule an interview until two days prior to the interview date. Interviewer never responded to a single follow-up email or phone call after our conversation, including to let me know I wasn't under consideration for the position.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you organize the data to be able to answer questions quickly?" The entire job is data management and the entire conversation was about the level of detail that needed to be maintained to do the job well. Prior to the question being asked we discussed systems, how data was managed currently, and how the organization's needs were being met in the interim. There ought to have been satisfactory systems in place already, and if there weren't that should have been part of the conversation and job description.   Answer Question