United Way Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.8

Director - Event Planning Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at United Way.

Interview

I first applied for the opportunity via a job board with no response from the hiring manager. Over six months later I was referred to the hiring manager by her management. This referral led to an interview.

During the interview with the hiring manager, it was evident she had not looked at my resume. It took her a minute to locate my resume among the piles of paper on her desk. Her questions were surface. Not one of her questions attempted to understand how I would perform in the role or draw a parallel between my experience and how i would successfully apply it.

The interview lasted approximately 20 minutes and her demeanor was absolutely off-putting. The most bizarre aspect of the interview were her descriptions about how she survived working at the organization through multiple layoff rounds.

Interview Questions

• Cannot recall a difficult or unexpected question. Though there were unexpected comments from the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Way in July 2014.

Interview

Everyone was very nice. It was a group interview process. They told me about the job and asked a few questions about my experience. I asked several questions also.

Campaign Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at United Way (Charlotte, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by the Director of HR, then two supervisors from Donor Relations. They asked the basic questions and explained a little bit more about the job. After the interview I had to take an Excel quiz and personality test online.

AmeriCorps Family Navigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way in June 2014.

Interview

Submit application, phone interview, one-on-one interview, writing sample, and panel interview. Friendly staff, typical questions. If you are passionate and actually want this job (I can't see why you would apply if you didn't, such a small stipend!) then you will be able to answer the questions easily. Just show passion and excitement. The staff is friendly, didn't feel like an interrogation, but a friendly conversation where the people actually felt invested in my answers. Went for probably over an hour on the group panel interview. Sometimes previous members will sit on the panel as well.

Negotiation

No Negotiation, AmeriCorps stipend.

Data Entry Interview

Interview

Very pleasant, overall no complaints. Very professionally handled, no "curveball" type questions. My interviewer ensured that I was comfortable and additionally was very personable. I was not kept waiting long. Overall, pleasant experience

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, as I didn't need one

Resource Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United Way.

Interview

The interview process is very simple. Having past experience in the industry is a plus.

Negotiation

It was a base salary. No room for negotiations as with most nonprofits.

Education Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Way (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online about 3 weeks later received a call for a in person interview. Fairly easy interview with two people. Didn't make it to the 2nd round but felt very positive about the interview, perhaps it just wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions

• None, Felt they could of posed more challenging questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Interview

About a week after submitting my application online, I was called by an HR rep at the company to schedule an interview. My interview was scheduled for one week later, and was a panel of three people in the department I was applying to. The interview was short, and they didn't ask anything unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected - asked about what types of software I was familiar with and my experiences managing events and budgets.   Answer Question

Director, Community Impact Interview

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone screen and two in-person interviews. You should have a really good sense of the major policy issues, trends and challenges in the field. Major plus if you know how to analyze data. Also be sure to be able to demonstrate your knowledge about what is happening in the community. Also a plus if you already know people in the field that you could potentially work with if you got the job. Community Impact is full of smart, committed people that are passionate about the work. Demonstrate your passion too.

Interview Questions

• If you don't have a ton of experience in the field, then it will be difficult to answer specific questions about your previous work. Also, if you don't have a good sense of public policy issues you might have difficultly answering some of the questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United Way.

Interview

I applied via their online portal and got a phone interview with two members of the team. The interview was pretty straight-forward - very job specific and less personality oriented. They were specifically looking for someone with a lot of experience in events and list management, which was not my niche.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was entirely difficult or unexpected. They simply asked detailed questions about common questions. i.e. In regards to list management: what programs have you used, are you familiar with the backend, etc.   Answer Question