United Way

Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Intern - United Way of Dane County Interview

Development Intern - United Way of Dane County
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United Way in April 2013.

Interview Details – Excellent communication and very organized. I heard back from the organization shortly after submitting my application and having interview. The woman that conducted the interview was very friendly and gave me a lot of information about the organization.

Interview Question – Describe a challenge you faced when working in a group project. How did you overcome this challenge?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a paid internship offer from another organization - United Way internships are unpaid.

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at United Way.

Interview Details – Posted in local newspaper. Board Members screened applications, narrowed to 3-6 to interview. 2 Board members conducted initial intervews. Called for a second interview with additional Board members. Board met to make their decision and a representative call with the job offer.

Interview Question – How would you increase donor dollars?   Answer Question

Loaned Executive Interview

Loaned Executive
San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Way in June 2010.

Interview Details – Opportunity was offered through the graduate MPA (Master's of Public Administration) program at UTSA. Went through the internship department in the college of public policy and applied. The internship is paid, and offers school credit for the MPA program. Highly competitive but amazing opportunity.

Interview Question – They will ask you why you deserve the internship, and you must do this standing as if you are giving a speech "selling yourself".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, the pay is a grant offered to give interested graduate students an opportunity to work for a Non-profit. They pay is disclosed during the interview.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

Interviewed at United Way

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back. They asked you about your general interests and background, and how that was related to your interest in the job posting. They were very concerned about whether you would feel comfortable participating in or leading actual volunteer projects. The interviewers were incredibly nice and friendly.

Interview Question – There were really no difficult or unexpected questions during the interview.   Answer Question

Relationship Manager - Corporate Development Interview

Relationship Manager - Corporate Development

Interviewed at United Way

Interview Details – It took 6 months to hire me, 4 different interviews, no clear timeline to hire. interviews were formal, but not structured well.

Interview Question – I was asked to give a presentation on United Way   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Development Officer Interview

Development Officer

Interviewed at United Way

Interview Details – Resume and cover. One on one with Executive Director. Casual conversation about fundraising experience.

Interview Question – No difficult of unexpected questions. Very straight forward.   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Way.

Interview Details – Two face-to-face meetings over lunch with the Department VP, panel interview with the entire Campaign Department, final interview with the Chapter CEO.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with us?
What skills do you think you have that would make you a good fundraiser?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – LIttle negotiation - salary was set and standard for all in this role.

Digital Content Specialist Interview

Digital Content Specialist
Detroit, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Way in September 2011.

Interview Details – I met with higher ups before a job was initially posted. If you want to pursue a job at UWSEM, it helps to see the office, volunteer or offer your services before a job is even posted. Be on the radar.
After I had the initial introduction to UWSEM, I met with the direct supervisor for the position that was open. It was casual -- at a Starbucks. After that, I was given "Strengthsfinder 2.0" to complete and send my results back. A quick phone interview with HR and I was ready to go.

Interview Question – This was a new position, so I really had to have a game plan for what I envisioned for the job. Know the business before applying!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We met a bit short of what I wanted in terms of salary, but the fuzzies made up for it.

Creative Services Interview

Creative Services

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Way.

Interview Details – The interview is thorough, dialog-based with several key individuals. Be prepared to answer specific questions with specific answers. Bring a strong portfolio and understand the materials that they produce.

Interview Question – Name a time when you worked in a group and something didn't work out. How did you fix the problem?   Answer Question

Associate Relationship Manager Interview

Associate Relationship Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at United Way.

Interview Details – My résumé was submitted by a current staff member to the development division, I received a phone to schedule an interview within a week. I still have about two more rounds of interviews to go through. Everyone was really nice, and the enviornment in the office when I entered was very welcoming. Everyone was smiling and conversing and seemed really happy to be there.
I was told that the quickness of your interview process can vary based upon the season at united way. If they are in the middle of a major fundraising the process can take a little longer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at United Way