UnitedHealth Group

2.7

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Medical Coding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

Medical coding positions that do not require the certification are virtually non-existent, except for UHG. I was extremely appreciative that this company is willing to take experienced coders that have not obtained the certifications, so I jumped at the chance to apply for this position. I completed the virtual interview (consists of three basic questions and you complete this using a webcam), had two phone interviews, and a face-to-face with a coding assessment(find codes and abstract a discharge summary). This process went smoothly and everyone was plenty to speak with....until I did the face-to-face. I interviewed with a male and female, and they were two of the stuffiest people I have ever interviewed for. Limp handshakes, never smiled, and didn't seem interested in interviewing me at all. Like they were just going the motions, and it was very intimidating for no particular reason. I knew within the first 5 minutes of sitting down that I wouldn't get the position. I tried to focus on my work ethic, my teamwork skills, and my ability to receive criticism and feedback, but I don't think it mattered.

I did also apply for the Junior Coder position, which is a position lower than the one I interviewed for, but I probably won't get that position either. I will consider re-applying at UHG, but not for Medical Coding positions, as that was the only negative part about the entire process. I feel that if the people interviewing me really didn't think I was that qualified, they shouldn't have contacted me.

Interview Questions
    • In your opinion, what has been the most difficult issue regarding your coworkers.   View Answer

Telephonic Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I applied online and a couple weeks later received a call from HR. I interviewed with HR, then a week later received a call to set up an in person interview with the hiring nurse manager. I had an in person interview with two nurse managers who both had an associate degree in nursing. One of the nurse managers had 2 more years of nursing experience than me in the same arena and the other nurse manager had less years of experience than me. They were polite and both reviewed my resume, asking me questions about my background and quizzed me on medications for a few chronic conditions. I thought the interview questions were fairly easy. A couple weeks later I received a generic email stating, “Unfortunately this position is no longer available at this time”. A few of my colleagues also did not receive offers; also interviewed by the same two clinical managers. Is it because we had our BSN and the two that interviewed us did not……. or we were not the “right fit”?

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2014.

UnitedHealth Group used Hire Vue to make a hiring decision. I was asked by a UHG recruiter to complete the one-way video interview. This video is supposed to be a step (not the step) in the hiring process. The next business day, the same recruiter called and said that the manager has decided to proceed with another candidate, no F2F for me. This process didn't allow me to questions; guess it doesn't matter. UHG needs to put the Human back into HR and stop with this shotgun method.

Pharmacy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2013.

recruiter scheduled a one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • something i dont like about my former boss   View Answer

House Call On-boarding Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2012.

had to 2 phone interviews and one face to face

Interview Questions
    • what type of manager do you see yourself as?   View Answer

On Board Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2012.

The interview was three phase meeting with two people, one person and finally another person. I was not prepared to be interviewed for over 2 hours and thing they should have set this expectation. The last person that interviewed me seemed bother by the process which made me nervous. I was also told at the interview that working weekends is expected. This should have been in the job description as I would have never applied for the job and wasted my time.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what my dream job is. I thought this was was very unexpected because I think for most people there dream job has nothing to do with a 9-5 job.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in August 2009.

1. Phone screen.
    2. In-person - I was there for several hours and met with 5 different people in the organization.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or gotcha questions during the interview   View Answer
    Be willing to negotiate during the hiring process. After you are hired it will be difficult for you to get a raise without a job title change and additional duties. There is little in the way of perks that the company can negotiate other than salary.