UnitedHealth Group Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.8

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I applied online for a couple different positions. I was emailed a message and link from hirevue asking to do a digital interview. In that interview they allow you to do 3 or so practice questions. You have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to answer the question. The questions were situational and customer service related. Then, a couple of days passed and I got a call from a recruiter stating that I now had a phone interview. In the phone interview they basically just asked your level of knowledge is with a computer. If you have used and know how to use powerpoint, excel, Microsoft outlook etc..... They also asked about your prior jobs and as to why you are leaving them and what you got paid. That same afternoon I received call stating they wanted to schedule an interview with the hiring manager the next day. I went to the interview, there was a women in person and man on the phone. The women an d man both introduced themselves and she then explained what the job position was, what the expected and then they get to the situational questions. They asked 3. #1 Name a situation in which you resolved an unhappy customers issue and how you handled it. #2 Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer. (That question caught me off guard for some reason) and lastly #3 Tell us about a situation where you were frustrated and how you handled your emotions. They concluded the interview after that and stated a recruiter would be in touch with me from that point on. The male on the phone really just listened and asked you to elaborate on your answers and made you go more in depth.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer?; This question was hard for me because I just couldn't recall an actual situation in which that happened. My mind went blank.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2014.

Applied online with an employee referral. Almost a month later I got an email stating I had an online interview (which was a first for me). It gives you two weeks to conduct the interview. It is not a person to person interview it asks four questions and records your answer. I think it is highly inappropriate and if a company acts like they cannot at least conduct an over the phone interview or in person that tells me that they don't have time for me at their company.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Jun 12, 2014Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hello! So sorry you did not like our new video interviewing process. Please know because we have many managers that are not all in the same location and/or that telecommute conducting video ... More

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2013.

They seemed to ask very basic questions for heath insurance company things, and scenario-based questions and how you would escalate or handle things. THere were things asked like name a tough ethical situation you handled, and decribe your learning style, and what would the ideal boss be like for you.

Interview Questions

got other offer first that i wanted more

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tonawanda, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2014.

I submitted an online application and completed a screening assessment. Was called the next day to set up a phone interview. Had phone interview the following week. Phone interview went well and I was scheduled for a face to face interview. If you have changed jobs recently, be prepared to explain in detail the reason for the change during the phone interview and face to face interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three hiring managers. Standard interview questions for the most part, mostly behavioral questions where you have to give very specific and detailed answers about past situations. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. I felt comfortable and relaxed. I am currently working in outside sales so the hiring managers seemed to be concerned about my transition to working at a desk job for 8 hours. I do not know if that is the reason I was not offered a position, but I think it was maybe a factor. Interview lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was told I would receive a phone call if it was for a job offer or an email if I was not selected. I received an email exactly two weeks after my face to face interview. The whole interview process from online app to email denial took 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever witnessed a co-worker do something unethical?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2012.

After I applied I had to take several questionnaires and then do an online computer proficiency test. Then they called to ask me a few questions and then set up an interview with a recruiter. After that, I had to set up another meeting with a manager. Once extended a contingent job offer, I had to submit a drug test within 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were the basic cookie cutter questions for entry level positions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingston, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

The hiring process first requires you to complete an on-line application and take an on-line test at home. If you are selected after this, you will need to go on-site to a UnitedHealth office and take another test, similar to the one you took at home. Next will be a phone interview, and finally, an on-site interview with two managers. The phone interview lasts about a half hour, and primarily discusses your previous work experience. The on-site interview lasted only about 10 minutes in my case, and only involved three questions about why I wanted the job. You will also need to pass a drug test and background check.

Interview Questions
    • My first interviewer pried pretty deeply about why I left my previous job, so be prepared to be honest about termination of previous jobs.   Answer Question
    Offers are non-negotiable. I was offered the highest base pay at $14.18/hour, so I accepted the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2012.

I applied online, and immediately received an email to schedule an onsite assessment. I took the assessment, and was scheduled for a 1:1 interview later that day with an HR representative. The interview was a review of work history and all behavioral questions. At the end of the interview the HR representative submitted my answers via computer to his hiring manager. I was then informed that they had selected me for the final interview with the Claims Supervisors. That interview was scheduled for the following work week. They day before that interview I was called, and told that they my interview was being canceled, because they had to rethink their training schedule. Sounded like a very fishy story, since I had been told earlier that they were hiring a large amount of new representatives, and encouraged to have my friends to apply. I had read in other reviews that it appears they do not want to hire individuals with degrees for these entry level positions, and that might have been what happened here. Either way, the process left me with a very negative feeling for the company and their hiring practices.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave your last job? Where you reviewed by a metrics? How was your performance review?   Answer Question
    • Lots of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duluth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2012.

Had to take online personality test. Followed with offer to take in person skills test. Followed by one on one interview. Asked behavioral questions like tell me when you had an ethical delema. Alot of hoops for 11$ hr. was told I would get a call in one to two business days. Two weeks or more later I got an email saying o.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Horsham, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2012.

Applied online & received e-mail to complete online assessment which I did that day...received both e-mail & phone call from company rep in TX requesting to set up phone interview the following day & received confirmation e-mail from recruiter I would be speaking with confirming both date & time...never received the call from her for the appointment & she has not responded to my e-mail or voice mail inquiries. While I realize the employer has the upper edge given today's employment environment I'm still shocked that manners & common courtesy are so lacking...perhaps not receiving call was a blessing in disguise if this is how recruitement is handled?????

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2012.

I applied online. First contact was an IQ/Intelligence online test. Completed that test and was scheduled for an onsite skills proctored assessment test. Test was pretty straightforward with a personality test at the end. I was taken into the hall by the proctor wanted to schedule me for a phone interview that day. Phone interview lasted about 40 minutes with lots of give an example of a situation questions. I was called at home about an hour later to schedule a face to face interview the next morning. Went to face to face and interviewed with a very nice person who appreciated my skills and we discussed the position and expectations in full. I was called the next day with a job offer. Completed background check and drug test and will start training in a week!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of "give me an example of a time where you handled this situation" questions.   Answer Question
    I was given a printed document during my assessment test that indicated an amount that they considered a base salary which I agreed to. When I was given the offer a couple of days later, the offer was a bit higher taking into account my years of experience and training. I was happy with it.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!