UnitedHealth Group

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tonawanda, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application and completed a screening assessment. Was called the next day to set up a phone interview. Had phone interview the following week. Phone interview went well and I was scheduled for a face to face interview. If you have changed jobs recently, be prepared to explain in detail the reason for the change during the phone interview and face to face interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three hiring managers. Standard interview questions for the most part, mostly behavioral questions where you have to give very specific and detailed answers about past situations. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. I felt comfortable and relaxed. I am currently working in outside sales so the hiring managers seemed to be concerned about my transition to working at a desk job for 8 hours. I do not know if that is the reason I was not offered a position, but I think it was maybe a factor. Interview lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was told I would receive a phone call if it was for a job offer or an email if I was not selected. I received an email exactly two weeks after my face to face interview. The whole interview process from online app to email denial took 4 weeks.

Interview Question – Have you ever witnessed a co-worker do something unethical?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – After I applied I had to take several questionnaires and then do an online computer proficiency test. Then they called to ask me a few questions and then set up an interview with a recruiter. After that, I had to set up another meeting with a manager. Once extended a contingent job offer, I had to submit a drug test within 3 days.

Interview Question – All of the questions were the basic cookie cutter questions for entry level positions.   Answer Question

Kingston, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process first requires you to complete an on-line application and take an on-line test at home. If you are selected after this, you will need to go on-site to a UnitedHealth office and take another test, similar to the one you took at home. Next will be a phone interview, and finally, an on-site interview with two managers. The phone interview lasts about a half hour, and primarily discusses your previous work experience. The on-site interview lasted only about 10 minutes in my case, and only involved three questions about why I wanted the job. You will also need to pass a drug test and background check.

Interview Question – My first interviewer pried pretty deeply about why I left my previous job, so be prepared to be honest about termination of previous jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offers are non-negotiable. I was offered the highest base pay at $14.18/hour, so I accepted the job.

Very Easy Interview

San Antonio, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, and immediately received an email to schedule an onsite assessment. I took the assessment, and was scheduled for a 1:1 interview later that day with an HR representative. The interview was a review of work history and all behavioral questions. At the end of the interview the HR representative submitted my answers via computer to his hiring manager. I was then informed that they had selected me for the final interview with the Claims Supervisors. That interview was scheduled for the following work week. They day before that interview I was called, and told that they my interview was being canceled, because they had to rethink their training schedule. Sounded like a very fishy story, since I had been told earlier that they were hiring a large amount of new representatives, and encouraged to have my friends to apply. I had read in other reviews that it appears they do not want to hire individuals with degrees for these entry level positions, and that might have been what happened here. Either way, the process left me with a very negative feeling for the company and their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

Duluth, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2012.

Interview Details – Had to take online personality test. Followed with offer to take in person skills test. Followed by one on one interview. Asked behavioral questions like tell me when you had an ethical delema. Alot of hoops for 11$ hr. was told I would get a call in one to two business days. Two weeks or more later I got an email saying o.

Interview Question – Tell me a ethical delema you experienced.   Answer Question

Horsham, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online & received e-mail to complete online assessment which I did that day...received both e-mail & phone call from company rep in TX requesting to set up phone interview the following day & received confirmation e-mail from recruiter I would be speaking with confirming both date & time...never received the call from her for the appointment & she has not responded to my e-mail or voice mail inquiries. While I realize the employer has the upper edge given today's employment environment I'm still shocked that manners & common courtesy are so lacking...perhaps not receiving call was a blessing in disguise if this is how recruitement is handled?????

Interview Question – unable to even complete an interview   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. First contact was an IQ/Intelligence online test. Completed that test and was scheduled for an onsite skills proctored assessment test. Test was pretty straightforward with a personality test at the end. I was taken into the hall by the proctor wanted to schedule me for a phone interview that day. Phone interview lasted about 40 minutes with lots of give an example of a situation questions. I was called at home about an hour later to schedule a face to face interview the next morning. Went to face to face and interviewed with a very nice person who appreciated my skills and we discussed the position and expectations in full. I was called the next day with a job offer. Completed background check and drug test and will start training in a week!

Interview Question – Lots of "give me an example of a time where you handled this situation" questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given a printed document during my assessment test that indicated an amount that they considered a base salary which I agreed to. When I was given the offer a couple of days later, the offer was a bit higher taking into account my years of experience and training. I was happy with it.

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – I'm just unsure right now about the situation. I applied back in February and did their online tests at home. I got a call to tell me that i needed to set up a time for an assesment test in their office. I scheduled one for that same afternoon (this was last week). I went in and there were about 7 of us: Health Advisor, Customer CAre, and Claims Rep. I took the online test (counting blocks, using computer to minimize,maximize screens, look up customer accts, make payments on their accts, etc.) The recruiter was a nice woman who sounded so positive and made it sound like we were in, like the job was already ours. UHG is hiring tons of people, we need people ASAP, these job starts soon, etc. Took the test and when i came out had an interview for the next morning. I showed up and had one on one interview. i haven't had an interview in years and although she was nice, i felt so inadequate and dumb. She asked about myjobs, what i do, what I did, went step by step. Then she asked situational questions: Have you ever made a mistake and told your boss? Did you ever see a co worker do somethign unethical and what did you do? (uh...no, i never have), She said they'd let me know in 2 days, which would've been on Friday and....nothing. no phone call, no email, no letter. i was very dissapointed because they made it sound like they needed people soon! Today i get a call to schedule an appt for a health advisor. i corrected her and said i applied for claims rep. She sounded confused then said, ok, I'll call you back. 3 hours later and hadn't heard anything so i called her. She said i wasn't a "right fit" for Claims Rep, but if i wanted to do phone interveiw for tmrw. So....i'm having one tomorrow...i'll post ya'll and see how it goes. *****oh, and i agree, all you see is people smoking outside the building, i hate when companies do that, people should smoke in back of building***

Interview Question – Have you ever seen anyone do anyting unethical at work, and what did you do?   View Answer

Greensboro, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Was emailed to come in for an onsite assessment after completing online assessment. When I got there - found out 15 other people would also take the assessment with me and another 15 after that. The girl in charge of the assessment was rude and as we watched from the lobby was too busy smooozing a good looking candidate from days before. She kept us waiting then took us in to the test room. We each had a computer but 2 of them kept locking up...seeing as it was a timed test, she just came over and re-booted which took several minutes with no allowance for the time lost. we flet like a herd of cattle corralled in. She then said we would hear in 24-48 hrs how we did, I no sooner started to walk to my car when i got the email on my phone. Obviously the results are immediate. The test was vocabulary, geometry, fractions, percents and counting blocks, then some simulation scrrens where you joggle between screens which was hard to maneuver on accounts. She said the job was production and each claim rep had to do 70 per hour to keep the job. 7.5 hrs straight at the computer- no breaks. pay at $12.12 hr. They are rude and really coold learn from their website to "walk a mile in their customers and employees shoes- they might learn something. I left not ever wanting to set foot in there again.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They treated potential new hires like cattle. The blogs are right on and at first I didn't want to believe it, thought only disgruntled people wrote in....but they were right -- this place is BADDDDDDDDD.

Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an automated email response the next day asking me to take a personality test. After that I got asked for more information. A few days later I got asked to schedule an on site assessment. Went and did that, consisted of going over your information in your resume, then taking a timed intelligence test, and then a computer skills test. The tests were fairly easy for me, however someone without a good amount of time spent on computers might not do too well on the skills portion. After the test, I was walked out by a recruiter and told my results and was asked to come to an interview in two days. That went well...consisted mostly of going over job history and I was then asked how I had responded in certain situations in previous jobs. I was told I would be notified within the week as to whether or not I would be hired. On Friday afternoon I called, and left a message inquiring about the position. I then called again Monday afternoon and didn't receive an answer again. On Tuesday I received an email stating they had hired people with better matching skill sets. I personally believe I wasn't hired because I have a college degree and they were afraid I would leave after a short amount of time, which wasn't the case, but oh well.

Interview Question – When did you not do something not quite up to par with what your superiors expected at work?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group Claims Representative interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees and interview candidates.