UnitedHealth Group

Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.9

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2014.

Learned about the position through an intern reception where I gave them my resume. I was contacted a few days later to come in for an on site interview. After that it took approximately a week to hear back from them. I did not get the position unfortunately but the process seemed pretty standard.

TDP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2013.

I applied through my college's careers website. The first round was just a 30 minute behavioral interview. About a week later I was invited for a second round at UHG's office in Hartford, CT. The second round was a super-day from 9am to 4pm. There were two 2 on 1 interviews and a bunch of presentations about the company and the TDP program.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were standard behavioral interview questions. No curveballs.   Answer Question

Senior Operating Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

UHG uses resumes screening software that searches for descriptors that match the job description. Then a "recruiter" takes a 2nd look before either discarding the resume or calling the applicant to ask questions [I found the recruiter to be less-than-knowledgeable]. I had 3 in-person interviews before finally getting hired.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly, there were no 'gotcha' questions. It appeared that they were just going thru the motions to satisfy the 'policies, processes & procedures' spelled out by management.   Answer Question
    I was unemployed at the time. They made a reasonable offer that I readily accepted.

Summer Intern Within Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2012.

I was first invited to a 45 minute, on campus interview at UConn. After getting past the first interview, I was promptly contacted 2 days later and invited to the Hartford, CT office for a second round of interviews in 3 weeks. The in-house interviews are an all day process where you begin the day with a presentation about the company and its values, and then given a tour of the office and surrounding areas. Subsequently, you have your first one hour interview, and are then taken to lunch; I was impressed that they took us out to an upscale restaurant in the area. After lunch, you are escorted to your second one hour interview, and end the day with a panel discussion led by current Technology Development Program members. Overall, the in-house interviews test your ability to network and socialize with the employees. During lunch, don't just sit there in silence. Try to strike up a casual conversation with the interviewers; I talked with one interviewer about UConn basketball for about 10 minutes. Just as well, when the floor is opened for questions during a presentation, make sure to ask them something about the company to demonstrate interest. My best advice is to turn the interview into a friendly conversation with 2 way dialogue.

After the in-house interviews, I was told that I would hear back from them in 2 days. Well, 2 days went by and I heard nothing. Today, however, one week after my interview, I received a call from a recruiter in Minnesota telling me I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • The interview consists mainly of behavioral questions. Some include: "Tell me about a time when you had difficulty getting along with a team member," "What is your biggest accomplishment on the job?" and "What type of skills does the ideal candidate need for this position?"   Answer Question
    This is an internship position, so there is not really room for negotiation. However, UnitedHealth Group's offer was more generous than other insurance companies in the area.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The interview process consisted of two rounds of interviews. The application process was simply a resume drop through my school's career services. You were only asked to fill out the online application if you made it to the second round interview which was nice. The first round interview consisted of one 30-minute behavioral interview. The second round consisted of a superday with two behavioral interviews and lunch. I had two interviewers for each of the three interviews. The interviewers were all extremely nice. I got my offer within a week of the second round.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interviews were general behavioral questions and there was no specific "difficult" or "unexpected" question. The interview was a very fair process.   Answer Question

Senior Operating Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Submitted numerous applications, then finally got a telephone interview. At the end of the interview I was told I was not fully qualified but my application was passed to the hiring manager regardless. I then had 2 in-person interviews with a Project Manager and a Technical Lead, then a 3rd interview with the hiring manager and HIS manager which lasted 10 minutes.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2012.

Interviewing with the hiring manager and his/her peers was uneventful and standard.
    Where UNH fell down was with the recruiter. She was very disorganized and not informative or responsive.
    Also, in my observations. requisitions are left open on internet job sites when positions have long since been filled, creating confusion and unnecessary work for applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews included the usual behavioral and technical questions.   Answer Question

The recruiting process and lack of organization sent a bad message to me about the company.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2011.

This interview was fantastic. One of the most impressive interviews I have ever been on. I had a total of 4 interviews during the process and every person I spoke to was friendlier than the next. There is an energy about the company that is unmatched by their rivals, who I have also interviewed with. A lot of dedication to the organizations goals. I have nothing but good things to say about the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an instance where you had to be a follower rather than a leader.   Answer Question

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2010.

Phone interview then face-to-face interview. Entire process took 3-4 weeks.

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2010.

Two rounds of interview, from technical to behavoural. Not ver difficult if you have done homework. The recriter was rude but hiring manager was good. Panelists were really professional and made me feel comfortablep

They did not negotiate much inspite of my being their top candidate