UnitedHealth Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
Minnetonka, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for a different position prior to this one through an external recruiter, and while I did not have any luck with that, I was referred by UHG hiring manager (who had interviewed me for that prior opportunity) to another team, who took a look at my profile and was interested, and had me apply online for that position at their careers website so they can get my application through their system and get me an interview.

A week later someone from Recruiting called me and scheduled a phone interview, which was scheduled later that day. A different recruiter called at the said time asked me a few questions, mostly the same questions that was on the job submission page, so I basically just repeated what I had answered and provided a bit of an explanation on my answers. He seemed satisfied with my answers and told me that they will forward my application to the Hiring Manager and I should expect a call depending on when the managers' availability my application and I can check the careers website for my status.

A week later I received a call from yet another Recruiter, this time to schedule a face-to-face interview with the Hiring Manager and the department Manager. I scheduled the interview the next day (while I would've liked to be able to have more time to prepare, this was the only time available for that week). I received an email confirmation for the scheduled interview, with instructions on who to contact, where, and how to get in.

I met with both the Hiring Manager and the Manager during my interview, mostly answered questions about my job experience, my expertise on the technology that I applied for, and STAR questions. It was a laid-back interview, and that helped with my confidence - they seem to be very nice people. The interview was short - probably half an hour for both, give or take 15 minutes for questions I am free to ask them. Upon leaving I provided them with a copy of my resume, this time including my references.

And yet another week passed (I admit I had thought I shouldn't expect anything) - I was caught off-guard by a call from HR, who called and formally extended the offer for this position! I was ecstatic because this is the ideal position I was looking for (I think I was to the point of blabbering). They asked if I would accept it - and I said yes. I was given brief details about the start date, the salary, the benefits, PTO (contingent upon completion of background checks). I received several emails after the call - a copy of my Offer Letter, and instructions to some time-sensitive onboarding requirements I have to do. For my position I had to complete a urinalysis drug test, plus submit some stuff for my background checks (e.g. educational, criminal, employment histories). From what I know, the type drug/background checks depend on what position and situation you are in.

Except for the fact that I got initially confused being passed on to one recruiter to another, it was an overall positive experience, and I am looking forward to my future growth in this company.

Interview Question – Mostly STAR questions, such as - "give a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer?" or "tell me a situation where you had to get out of the way to help someone?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given slightly higher than what I asked for, so I did not have to negotiate. Besides, I was more into the learning experience.

I would say, simply assess your skills vs the position you are applying for and do some research on your own so you can have a basis on what your rate should start with. Make sure you have a range instead of a specific target rate.

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2011.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from a UHG HR rep to set up a screening interview. Had the phone interview a few days later with the HR rep. HR rep was basically reading off a script of the job's requirements from the description. In other words, if the job called for data analysis skills, she asked you, "Do you have experience analyzing data?" Apparently I passed the screening round and a week later, had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The HR rep I interviewed with over the phone was VERY nice and friendly.

Phone interview went fine, but I don't think this particular manager had much experience interviewing people. He asked very vague questions that could've been answered in many ways. For example, he asked, "Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker or had to persuade someone or had to explain something technical to a non-tech person."

HUH? Those are three different questions!

He said he'd be selecting people to come in after he finishes up all the phone interviews.

Well, I never got a call. I had to log back on to the United Health website to check the status of my app...and it said "No longer under consideration."

Interview Question – Tell me about your data analysis skills.   Answer Question

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!