UnitedHealth Group

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Monster.com ad, telephone call with HR to confirm resume, phone interview with manager, in person interview with manager, director, and local business segment.

Interview Question – If manager said to do X and director said to do Y, both expressed that issue is important; however, you can't do both, who do you listen to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had entered an amount electronically on the application. There was no negotiation as it was within their parameters (I should have probably asked for more).

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process is different throughout the company for the same position. Some are very complex. Sets of questions including technical questions to behavioral and personal experience questions. One area requires a writing sample.

Interview Question – Specific questions on SQL   Answer Question

Moline, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on their careers website for a local position in my field. I was called a couple of days later to go through an initial screening via phone with a recruiter. The screening lasted maybe 10 minutes. Was then told I would be presented to the hiring manager for consideration of further interviews. I received a call from another recruiter that they would like to setup two phone interviews with two different supervisors, and a 1:1 interview with an executive in the local office. I setup one phone interview for the next day as well as the 1:1 interview. The second phone interview was scheduled a couple of days out.

The first phone interview was excellent. The interviewer had a lot of energy and asked me some very detailed questions regarding my skills leading projects, organizational management, what I would do if a project was given to me - how would I start the process, etc. I came away from this interview feeling very confident.

The 1:1 interview was with an executive at the local office. They were very nice and courteous and easy to talk to. This put me at ease and helped the conversation flow. I was a little less confident after this interview than the last, but that was partly due to the executive style demeanor of sizing you up. They always have a thousands thoughts going through their mind and it showed.

The last phone interview started with an open-ended question and just seemed dry. I did not get a good feeling from this interview and thought my chances went down the tubes.

Glad I was wrong!

Overall the interview process was a bit lengthy, but organized. This is for a highly visible position so I can understand wanting to put a candidate through the ringer.

Interview Questions

• What's the first thing you'd do when you received a new project?   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work for UnitedHealth Group?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had a set number in mind and they came in over that along with excellent benefits. I immediately accepted. I think partly because I was so exhausted from the whole interview process.

When considering an offer, just have a number in mind that you absolutely must have to live and a number that you feel you're worth. Be prepared with your skills and be ready to sell yourself should the need arise.

I was prepared, but thankfully didn't have to go through negotiation.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!