UnitedHealth Group

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – I was part of an Acquisition and didn't have to participate in the interview process.

Interview Question – Would I be willing to take a pay decrease   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in late January 2014. I interviewed via phone with a recruiter who passed my resume / application along to the hiring manager. By Friday of the next week, I had a phone interview with the manager, as well as a second interview by his team. By the next week, I was scheduled for an in-person interview with a team member who lives in my state. That week, I received a verbal offer, followed by a discussion of start date, terms, etc. Background check, drug test, and other formalities took about 3 weeks. Entire process took about 5 weeks. It was a quick and pleasant experience.

Interview Question – My resume shows position or team changes every 3 years, so I was asked why I didn't stay with teams or organizations any longer by one of the long timers, but the other interviewers didn't seem to be concerned with my tenure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter will ask you to commit to a lower salary early in the interview cycle. Because I had interviewed for more than one position with the same recruiter, he/she knew my bottom line for a telecommute position, so that is the figure I was presented, which I accepted. I do feel the salary may be negotiable within 2-3k if you can negotiate directly with the hiring manager, but I chose not to do so as I was offered a reasonable salary and did not want to hold up the process.

Flag Interview

UnitedHealth Group Enterprise Talent Community Manager responded to this review

Mar 3, 2014

Thanks for your great review and glad the process went well for you!

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – UnitedHealth Group used Hire Vue to make a hiring decision. I was asked by a UHG recruiter to complete the one-way video interview. This video is supposed to be a step (not the step) in the hiring process. The next business day, the same recruiter called and said that the manager has decided to proceed with another candidate, no F2F for me. This process didn't allow me to questions; guess it doesn't matter. UHG needs to put the Human back into HR and stop with this shotgun method.

Interview Question – How do you settle conflict with others?   Answer Question

Greenville, SC

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – 5 people around a conference table in a small conference room, each with an open laptop into which they were looking and typing.
Open position needed to be filled quickly so they were probably going to make a decision and hire that person (contractor). One question from each person.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2008.

Interview Details – Hard to get in with a web submission. Was called in after 8 months of having my resume in.

Interview Question – PM fundamentals   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Stick to what you beleive you are worth

Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2007.

Interview Details – Interviewed by Hiring Director and 3 peers

Interview Question – Healthcare industry experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate somewhat

IT Project Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – First part of phone interview was the usual background questions such as clarification of my current job, why I want to leave, etc.

Then, quite out of context, the recruiter asked me my current salary. I responded that it was confidential. We fenced around but I felt that question was out of bounds. The recruiter then asked me what my salary requirements were. She even asked what it would take to maintain my standard of living, etc I found that question very strange because the market price of a job is not related to my mortgage or car payments, etc.

I responded that it depends on the duties, other benefits, etc.

The recruiter became somewhat belligerent at this point and stated the salary range for the job and asked it if was OK. I responded that I know nothing about the job, duties, benefits etc but that I would seriously consider any market offer. Keep in mind that these salary discussions started within 5 minutes of phone screen. She then said that I am required to provide a range or she would cancel my candidacy.

I said we were in a "catch 22" because there is more to compensation than salary and I can't answer the question. She abruptly ended the call by raising her voice, talking very fast and nervously that she is ending my candidacy but that I decide to contact her again with my current salary and salary requirements we could talk further. She then hung up very abruptly.

The experience was extremely baffling and I suspect there was no job to begin with and it was simply for salary research.

My impression of UHC is not very good due to this experience and the lack of professionalism of the recruiter.

More concerning is I was perfect fit for the job with unique qualifications and experience, etc.

Thankfully, I have a pretty good job right now and the experience is now a funny story to relate to my friends and colleagues.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group IT Project Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees and interview candidates.