UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.8

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Getting a job at United Health Group is a long process, but it can be done, so if you're interested in working here, don't give up.

I applied online to a ton of open positions - they have dozens of open project management positions at any given time. For one of these positions, I received an email from UHG recruiting inviting me to a digital interview (this email went to my spam folder in Gmail, so CHECK THE SPAM!!!). Upon receipt of the email, you have 48 hours to complete the interview.

The digital interview is awkward. I'm lucky enough in that I have a new desktop Mac with a webcam. This whole process would be tough to do on a tablet or smartphone.

I thought I royally screwed the digital interview up, as I stumbled on my answers and didn't think I was articulate enough. It's very awkward talking to yourself. Keep in mind though, most of the other candidates also think it's awkward, so if you blunder through some of the questions, don't fret too much. And SMILE!

The questions are pretty easy -- very basic interview questions ("Tell me why you want to work here" "describe one of the projects you managed") and there's only 5 of them but again, it's awkward! Make sure you dress up (I work my suit) and be mindful of any background clutter.

Apparently they liked me enough to proceed to the next round. The next round consisted of two phone interviews -- one with HR and one with the hiring manager. My hiring manager was located across the country, so there would be no in-person with her. The hiring manager didn't ask me any silly interview questions - it was just a conversation about my skills. Again, I thought I bombed it, but I must've done well, as about a week and a half later, I was invited for an in-person interview with two team members.

The in-person was a breeze. It didn't seem like an interview. I just had a conversation with two team members on-site, about what I'd be working on when I initially start the role. I knew I had the job when I left, as one of the team members said he would start the process with HR that afternoon.

The next day, I had an offer from the UHG recruiter by phone. They make an offer, and THEN they do the paperwork after you accept -- it's background check by an outside firm and a drug test (pee in a cup).

All in all, this whole process took about 2.5-3 months, from initial online app to my start date. It's a long process, but it's a huge company and if you want to work here, keep applying.

Resolving Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

1 hour phone interview very detailed questions about time frame you worked at previous companies and asking your weakness and strengths , second interview is in person for about 30 minutes, typical questions any employer would ask. They give you great detail about the company, the second interview was strictly about your job function to see if you are relatable enough to hired for the job. I would suggest highly to practice for your phone interview, because when they say it will be an hour, that is exactly how long it would be. Show them what you have to offer the company

Interview Questions

• About your previous experiences at past jobs, why do you want to work for the company? etc   Answer Question

Associate Director - Business Analysis Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

Everything was email - There was a link to give an interview through video. There are pre-interview questions to record yourself prior to taking the actual timed interview. Be sure to do those a couple of times so that you can review yourself on screen. I completed the interview and never heard from anyone. Ever.

Interview Questions

• How would you ensure that a new analyst included everything needed in their requirement document?   Answer Question

Behavioral Care Advocate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Interview process was very corporate. They were friendly, very PC. Asked me to provide scenarios in which I performed under stress, handled conflict, dealt with a difficult client, over came adversity, etc.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Got a phone screen from the hiring manager, followed by a face to face interview. This all occurred within over a period of 2 weeks which was followed by an offer. The phone screen was a quick 20 mins very high level overview around interest and overview of the position. The face to face was more detailed getting into specifics around experience and what they brought to the table and what you brought to the table.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a backlog? What is your agile experience? How do you handle conflict? What is your experience speaking with clients? What is your experience speaking with management?   Answer Question

Customer Service Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Greensboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online then received the invitation to complete the assessment online within 48 hours. After completing the assessment I received a phone call about 2 days later asking when I would be available for a phone interview. This phone call asked if I was still interested and would have time for an 1 hour interview. I scheduled it for that Friday. The interviewer called about 10-15 minutes after the time we scheduled which made me nervous. Once on the call the interviewer asked about work history and behavioral questions. Once I was done she said she would be moving me along the process. After completing this I received an email from the recruiter about 4 days later asking when i would be available for an on-site interview with the hiring manager. This was scheduled for the next week. Once meeting with the hiring manger for about 45 minutes with the normal questions about work history, why I want to work for UHG, why i was the best candidate, and behavioral questions. After waiting about 4 days I received a phone call saying congratulations I was being offered the position. She made me feel very comfortable. Although it was an interview it felt like a conversation. Even sitting with the security while waiting I felt comfortable which took a lot of nerves away making it easier to talk.

If you go onto the UnitedHealth Group website they provide a lot of tools to help guide you through the hiring process. There are videos in which you can watch to help with the specific job in which you want to give you an idea of what you applied for. There is also an opportunity to talk with recruiters via chat.

Appeal Reviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2015.

Interview

Very professional, and straight to the point. Applied online, had phone interview with recruiter, and another interview over the phone with director. Contingent offer made, after drug screening was complete and background check complete. Happily ever after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you implement changes?
      Tell me how you handle complex situation?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Very negotiable, ask all they can say is no.

Customer Service Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Let me first say that God is the reason I got this job! Period.

The application process at UnitedHealth was extremely lengthy and rigorous. It took a total of 12 weeks before I got hired. I applied on 11/21/2014.

Right after applying,

1) Completed the screening assessment test for the position. [The company gives you a 48 hour window to complete the test.]

2)After passing on 11/25/2014, I got an email requesting me to participate in a one-on-one 45-minute phone interview with a recruiter. I set up a date and time with the recruiter for the next day. On the phone the female asked me simple questions about myself and my work history.

Additionally, during the phone interview I was given typical scenario/situational questions to answer (i.e. "What would you do if...? Tell me a time where.....Do you have experience with...?"). She also informed me more about the position and its requirements, the date/time the training class would start and how many weeks it would be, the hours and pay, etc. At the end of our conversation, the recruiter told me she was going to move my application to the next step in the process.

3) I got an email from my recruiter to set up a face to face interview with a hiring manager on 12/03/2014 for a Claims position I applied to weeks before. I interviewed for that on 12/11/2014. Long story short, I ended up not getting that job.

About a month later, I was contacted by my recruiter again to schedule another interview for the position Customer Service Advocate. I interviewed for that position on 01/14/2014.

4) On 01/29/2014, I got a call from another recruiter and was offered the position and accepted!

5) I was emailed the next day (a Friday) to update my Profile information and make sure everything is correct on the company website. I was also offered the position only contingent on me passing a pre-employment background check and drug test.

6) On 02/02/2015, I completed the consent to conduct the background check form online and made my appointment/completed my drug test the same day.

7) On 02/16/2015 I was contacted by phone by a recruiter as well as by email saying that I passed both with flying colors and let me know I start work on 02/23/2015!

Note to everyone applying: It's a LOT to go through to get a job here--but if I can do it, so can you. Just be persistent and patient. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Basic situational questions and about professional work history/experience   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I accepted what was offered to me.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy and included three interviews, first with the recruiter, second with the hiring manager, and last with the vice president. Once I met with the VP, an offer was extended. I did not accept the initial low ball offer which they will always do, countered and accepted a higher offer. It took almost 3 months from initial interview to start date. A long time, be patient.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Medicaid quality?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Got called in a week, asked a couple ?s about the job, title, and pay and if you accept then they call you for a phone interview. Mines was set up the very next day, early. I had a person who couldn't speak English well, very hard to understand and I thought great, here goes my chances. First they go over your resume, tell them different circumstances about your jobs, any metrics and if so what was told about it, then about 5-6 behavioral questions "tell me a time" explaining in STAR format. Of course, the person I had didn't understand or keep up with whAt I was explaining. She kept pausing me and telling me to go back. Again, it was still hard to understAnd her. I knew I wasn't going to get it.

Interview Questions

• If I understood her English:

Tell me a time you had a project or product that your team didn't agree to?

Tell me a time when you made a mistake and had to apologize for it?

Tell me a time when a customer called and it was difficult?

Answer Question