UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.8

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The interview process was lengthy and included three interviews, first with the recruiter, second with the hiring manager, and last with the vice president. Once I met with the VP, an offer was extended. I did not accept the initial low ball offer which they will always do, countered and accepted a higher offer. It took almost 3 months from initial interview to start date. A long time, be patient.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with Medicaid quality?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Got a phone screen from the hiring manager, followed by a face to face interview. This all occurred within over a period of 2 weeks which was followed by an offer. The phone screen was a quick 20 mins very high level overview around interest and overview of the position. The face to face was more detailed getting into specifics around experience and what they brought to the table and what you brought to the table.

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage a backlog? What is your agile experience? How do you handle conflict? What is your experience speaking with clients? What is your experience speaking with management?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Got called in a week, asked a couple ?s about the job, title, and pay and if you accept then they call you for a phone interview. Mines was set up the very next day, early. I had a person who couldn't speak English well, very hard to understand and I thought great, here goes my chances. First they go over your resume, tell them different circumstances about your jobs, any metrics and if so what was told about it, then about 5-6 behavioral questions "tell me a time" explaining in STAR format. Of course, the person I had didn't understand or keep up with whAt I was explaining. She kept pausing me and telling me to go back. Again, it was still hard to understAnd her. I knew I wasn't going to get it.

Interview Questions
    • If I understood her English:

Tell me a time you had a project or product that your team didn't agree to?

Tell me a time when you made a mistake and had to apologize for it?

Tell me a time when a customer called and it was difficult?

Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2015.

Getting a job at United Health Group is a long process, but it can be done, so if you're interested in working here, don't give up.

I applied online to a ton of open positions - they have dozens of open project management positions at any given time. For one of these positions, I received an email from UHG recruiting inviting me to a digital interview (this email went to my spam folder in Gmail, so CHECK THE SPAM!!!). Upon receipt of the email, you have 48 hours to complete the interview.

The digital interview is awkward. I'm lucky enough in that I have a new desktop Mac with a webcam. This whole process would be tough to do on a tablet or smartphone.

I thought I royally screwed the digital interview up, as I stumbled on my answers and didn't think I was articulate enough. It's very awkward talking to yourself. Keep in mind though, most of the other candidates also think it's awkward, so if you blunder through some of the questions, don't fret too much. And SMILE!

The questions are pretty easy -- very basic interview questions ("Tell me why you want to work here" "describe one of the projects you managed") and there's only 5 of them but again, it's awkward! Make sure you dress up (I work my suit) and be mindful of any background clutter.

Apparently they liked me enough to proceed to the next round. The next round consisted of two phone interviews -- one with HR and one with the hiring manager. My hiring manager was located across the country, so there would be no in-person with her. The hiring manager didn't ask me any silly interview questions - it was just a conversation about my skills. Again, I thought I bombed it, but I must've done well, as about a week and a half later, I was invited for an in-person interview with two team members.

The in-person was a breeze. It didn't seem like an interview. I just had a conversation with two team members on-site, about what I'd be working on when I initially start the role. I knew I had the job when I left, as one of the team members said he would start the process with HR that afternoon.

The next day, I had an offer from the UHG recruiter by phone. They make an offer, and THEN they do the paperwork after you accept -- it's background check by an outside firm and a drug test (pee in a cup).

All in all, this whole process took about 2.5-3 months, from initial online app to my start date. It's a long process, but it's a huge company and if you want to work here, keep applying.

IT Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I was interviewed by the human resources representative, followed by the direct hiring manager, as well as the Vice President of the group I was applying for. HR and VP interviews were over the phone, and the hiring manager interview were in person. The interviews were very conversational, although they followed a script that was provided by HR with a variety of behavioral questions. The group now also asks specific technical questions about the knowledge required to get the job in addition to standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Data Entry Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I was contacted initially by a representative who was confirming that I still had interest in the position. I called the rep back and acknowledged that I was, indeed, still interested in the position, and this person proceeded to relay to me further details about the job. He gave me a time for a phone interview, which was to be conducted that same day. Once I completed the phone interview with that recruiter, I was told my answers would be forwarded to the hiring manager and if the hiring manager was interested, I would be called back for an in-person interview. I was contacted within the next day or two by another recruiter who set up an in-person interview. I was interviewed by three people and felt the overall process was rather good.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you had to make over the past 6 months?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

brief and unexpected; went in for one job and came out with another...thank goodness because the first was just offering ten dollars a hour. and licensed agents are seasonal then move to another account if available or get laid off

Reporting Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

A call with recruiter then phone interview with hiring manager. Then if you get selected they might call you for in person interview with team and manager. If accepted they will send you offer letter and with start date.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one analytic you provided the managers and how it helped make business decision?   Answer Question

Health Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Behavioral Questions, very straight forward. After I applied, I was sent an online assessment to test my computer skills. I then had an interview with a recruiter, all the questions were very simple and all customer service oriented. I was passed onto another round of interviews right away with a supervisor. She asked some harder questions, but still all behavioral based on customer service. Some were on how I would handle conflict.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you do when you can not help someone?   View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

I received an email saying, "Congratulations, you are invited to interview with UHG!" Was disappointed when I continued reading only to find that they wanted me to do a 'digital video' interview. For the digital video interview, I was to prepare as though it were a real in-person interview, log into some website and have a video recorded of the interview. The interview would consist of three questions. After each question, I would have 30 seconds to forumulate a response, and then three minutes to respond to the question. I opted NOT to do this, as I have privacy and security concerns with regards to having a digital video made of me that would be out of my control once recorded. I prefer to talk to people, not a web cam. The only good news of all this is that after I failed to respond to the request for interview, they sent me a survey asking me about the interview process experience, where I basically stated everything I said here, so maybe they will listen and stop using this ludicrous pre-screening method. It would be great if HR would take this survey response to heart, which would be amazing, but more likely I think they will be offended and find some reason why I wasn't a good candidate to begin with and mark me as a DO NOT HIRE. I heard nothing after submitting the survey. Never in the whole process did I talk with any recruiter or other representative from UHG. I think I can figure from this that UHG really doesn't care about its employees or their time. It's a guess on my part, but my intuition is usually pretty right on in this regard.

Interview Questions
    • I would have been asked three questions, given 30 seconds to formulate a response, then three minutes to respond.   View Answer