UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.8

Multiple- Project Manager, Program Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

My resume was only reviewed, until I disclosed my gender, and ethnicity. And then a thank you note. This has happened several times, and I will stop applying here.

Customers Service Advocate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Had a phone interview with recruiter that was very easy. Informed of pay and start date early in interview. A few questions on how you improved a situation for someone at work

Take it or leave it.

Senior Client Service Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Started with an assessment before I was green lighted to begin a formal interview process with another assessment. Then I was emailed to attend an open house afterwhich I complete a video interview. Hiring managers summoned me for an in person interview a few days later. And it was wonderful. 10 minutes after that interview the recruiter contacted me to see if I'd consider taking the position.

You won't have much luck finding a better work-life balance. It's a decent, safe place to work. You'll work with smart people and make a solid wage.

Interview Questions
    • Your computer skills, examples of when you've gone above and beyond.   Answer Question
    confusing. My contract was sent from India and the numbers were $1/hour off but they fixed it by the time I recvd my paycheck

Vice President Inside Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

There is not much I can say here. I had a few short interviews with some top dogs and that was it. I got in through some nice connections. Beyond that, they flew me to Minneapolis and everyone was very positive and nice.

Interview Questions
    • They say "strategy" a lot at Optum. Figure out a way to get it in.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Applied online. Received an email to complete a assessment and fill out a form and email it back to the recruiter. Within the same day, I received another email saying that they wanted to schedule a phone interview for the next day. Did the phone interview (wednesday) and now scheduled for a one on one interview for Thursday.

Phone questions:
    Prior jobs and how much you got paid...also why you left
    Experience with word, excel, and PowerPoint
    Challenged your ethics question (can't remember how she phrased it)

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to explain something complex to a customer?
      Give me a illustration of how good you can do your job.
        Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Well planned interview cycle, but a little on the overdone side. Felt like interviewers were just working a behavioral based question template provided by Human Capital, which took up all of the scheduled time so no opportunity to talk about the actual job requirements/description. 4 formal interviews totalling approx. 4+ hours. All by phone. Entire cycle took 30 days/1 month to complete.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I applied online for a couple different positions. I was emailed a message and link from hirevue asking to do a digital interview. In that interview they allow you to do 3 or so practice questions. You have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to answer the question. The questions were situational and customer service related. Then, a couple of days passed and I got a call from a recruiter stating that I now had a phone interview. In the phone interview they basically just asked your level of knowledge is with a computer. If you have used and know how to use powerpoint, excel, Microsoft outlook etc..... They also asked about your prior jobs and as to why you are leaving them and what you got paid. That same afternoon I received call stating they wanted to schedule an interview with the hiring manager the next day. I went to the interview, there was a women in person and man on the phone. The women an d man both introduced themselves and she then explained what the job position was, what the expected and then they get to the situational questions. They asked 3. #1 Name a situation in which you resolved an unhappy customers issue and how you handled it. #2 Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer. (That question caught me off guard for some reason) and lastly #3 Tell us about a situation where you were frustrated and how you handled your emotions. They concluded the interview after that and stated a recruiter would be in touch with me from that point on. The male on the phone really just listened and asked you to elaborate on your answers and made you go more in depth.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer?; This question was hard for me because I just couldn't recall an actual situation in which that happened. My mind went blank.   Answer Question

Medical Coding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

Medical coding positions that do not require the certification are virtually non-existent, except for UHG. I was extremely appreciative that this company is willing to take experienced coders that have not obtained the certifications, so I jumped at the chance to apply for this position. I completed the virtual interview (consists of three basic questions and you complete this using a webcam), had two phone interviews, and a face-to-face with a coding assessment(find codes and abstract a discharge summary). This process went smoothly and everyone was plenty to speak with....until I did the face-to-face. I interviewed with a male and female, and they were two of the stuffiest people I have ever interviewed for. Limp handshakes, never smiled, and didn't seem interested in interviewing me at all. Like they were just going the motions, and it was very intimidating for no particular reason. I knew within the first 5 minutes of sitting down that I wouldn't get the position. I tried to focus on my work ethic, my teamwork skills, and my ability to receive criticism and feedback, but I don't think it mattered.

I did also apply for the Junior Coder position, which is a position lower than the one I interviewed for, but I probably won't get that position either. I will consider re-applying at UHG, but not for Medical Coding positions, as that was the only negative part about the entire process. I feel that if the people interviewing me really didn't think I was that qualified, they shouldn't have contacted me.

Interview Questions
    • In your opinion, what has been the most difficult issue regarding your coworkers.   View Answer

Web/Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

First web camera interview, next phone interview, next another phone interview, next in-person interview, follow-up phone questions, next tests(programming) and then phone call letting me know an offer will be made.

Interview Questions
    • The usual questions, tedious and rigorous overall-but good, no complaints. I enjoyed the process-nice people.   Answer Question
    They offered much LESS than my minimum given and I counter-offered (closer to their offer) and they took their offer away immediately refusing to negotiate.

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Hiring process was great. Started off with a phone interview and then an in person meeting with the local contracting team. The phone interview was conducted by the VP and the Director, both who live and work out of Colorado.

Interview Questions
    They accepted my offer and there was no need for negotiation.