UnitedHealth Group

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.8

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Network through school career fair and was contacted after two weeks or so. Went through an on campus interview and then an onsite interview. The first interview was mostly behavioral question with a manager and a new employee. The onsite interview consist of two parts. The first part is a group work with other intern candidates. The task was to see how everyone work together to solve a task given to us. The second part of the interview was more behavioral questions with other managers from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavior questions, but the hardest question for me was why do you want to work for the healthcare industry.   Answer Question

Quality Analyst/Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

I applied through Ranstad, gave a test online and got my interview, 3 people interviewed me - a managers/directors and it went well. Interview was conversational, i got a call from the recruiter next day saying they selected me so i was asked to accept the offer and send it by email. After the weekend, i emailed to ask whatelse needs to be done and that is when i got an reply from the recruiter that they "choose another direction" and unfortunately i did not get in. Now this over riding after my acceptence verbally and written email is out of my expectations from such a growing organisation. i dont know what happned but highly unfortunate for me.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the IT field?
      What do you like and dislike about your degree?
      What is a QA?

Answer Question
    It was a 3 month contract to hire position with health and other benefits. I was informed about them prior to the hiring process and accepted it before the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

This is on campus interview. First talk about resume and then ask behaviour questions. Like why do you choose us, why work in health industry. What the important thing in woking with team. How to handle argue in a team. For example, two people want to be leader and there are just two people in this team.
    Then let me teach him poker rules. I teach him the easiest one I know. I draw some pictures to teach rules.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

Had 1 technical interview followed by 2 technical interviews at their location. I enjoyed talking to the first 2 engineers but the last was unbelievably awful and was trying to make me fail. He asked me such a difficult problem and purposely gave me some wrong info to see if I would catch it or not, changed the scenario while I was near done solving it, and clearly told me he'll notify the other interviewers that I did so poorly. I spoke to everyone else that interviewed with the company and they only had 1 or 2 technical interviews with simple problems. They were completely shocked at how I was treated by the last person. I'll make sure to never apply to this place ever again.

Claims Appeals Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

The interview were basically questions regarding your character based on different scenarios, such as; how did you handle a difficult customer situation. All of the questions were based on your experience from previous jobs. The questions weren't hard if you are able to articulate. The on thing they look for is cut and dry answers. They don't want long drawn out answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond to handle a customer.   View Answer

Senior Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

The company was visiting my University in late January. I spoke to a representative and he seemed to like my resume but was on the fence about my technical background. He decided to give me an online digital interview. After applying on their website, I was invited to interview. The interview is 8 questions and needs to be completed within 48 hours of receiving the invitation. You are given 30 seconds of prep time for each question and 3 minutes to answer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.
      Why did you choose your major?
      What are some of your recent technical achievements?
      What do you know about Unitedhealth Group and Optum?
      Why are you interested in technology and healthcare?
      Talk about a time when your group wasn't functioning properly.
      Talk about a time when you had to manage conflicting priorities.
      What is your ideal career path.

User Experience Information Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

I needed to submit a pre-screening video interview which requires laptop with camera. Upon acceptance, an inperson inerview with 3 principals was scheduled. The interview was in a small room near reception.

Interview Questions
    • Explain why you are interested in this position.   View Answer
    • Provide an example of your user interaction design.   View Answer

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The hiring process is relatively fast. I filled out a online application followed by the assement test which was a lot. In less than 24 hours the recutier called to set up an phone interview. Than was scheduled for the next day and after doing the phone interview the following day I interviewed with manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a situation in which you had to deal with a angry customer? How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Intake Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The process took 4 weeks. Did application on line. Later received an email to take assessment. About a week later. Received another email for phone interview. After phone interview about 3 hours later received call to set up face to face the next day. Interviewers were very welcoming. Interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions. Now I'm waiting to hear something back.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to work in a group and what did you contribute.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I completed the online application and received a link to complete a behavioral assessment in the same day. About one week or two later, I was contacted by a recruiter asking if I was available for a phone interview. I was given the option to interview by phone or face to face. The recruiter immediately asked my current salary, which I was totally uncomfortable with. I didn't provide a dollar about, but I asked if the starting salary was negotiable. I was told there's little room for negotiation and continued the interview. I was contacted about one week later asking for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. That interview was more focused on behavioral skills & experience and he also stressed that the starting salary was low. I see this position add an opportunity to get a supervisory position, so when I was contacted two days after my 2nd interview, I accepted the position. The environment seemed very relaxed, the receptionist was down to earth and helpful....and it was extremely quiet for a call center. I'm interested to see how quickly I'm able to grasp the information and move off of the phones because that's what I'm not looking forward to, although I was told that this dept does NOT have "talk time", so calls are not timed.

Interview Questions
    • 1.tell me about a time when you had to handle an irate caller.(behavioral)
      2. tell me about a time when you offered an improvement and was it implemented? (used to determine innovative skills).
      3.where do you see yourself in 3-5 years? (determining my goals and if I'll be an asset to the company in the long run)

Answer Question
    I was initially offered a higher salary than the starting pay that was discussed upon my first contact with the recruiter; however, I still negotiated but was denied my negotiated salary.