UnitedHealth Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Process began when I submitted my resume to the UHG job portal for a Project Manager position. The job I applied for was located in Santa Ana, CA, but my first contact was from an HR person in Minnesota. This first contact was a phone call about 5 days after I submitted my resume. I spent about forty minutes on the phone with this person. Easy first interview; mostly questions about why I left each of my previous jobs and what my strengths and weaknesses are. Nothing technical. I feel the goal of this interview was to test my demeanor and verify if I could string coherent sentences together. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the hiring manager and I should hear from them within the week. About a week later, I received an email asking my availability for a face to face interview. The earliest date was for the following week. I note this because the UHG hiring process is not a fast one; even when there is an immediate need, as in this case.

The face to face interview(s) lasted about three hours. I first interviewed with the hiring manager. This interview was similar to the phone interview I had previously with HR. I was asked if I had time to meet with the Director that oversees this position. Of course I said yes. I waited a few minutes before the Director arrived. This interview was very technical and covered the specific responsibilities held at each of my former employers. Luckily, I had brought examples of my work to share. Again I was asked if I had time for another interview; this time with the Senior VP that oversees this position. Again I said yes. After about 20 minutes, I had a third interview with the SVP, Director and hiring manager. The SVP ran this interview which seemed mostly social. Not technical at all. At the end, I was told they would get back to me soon.

About a week later, I was given a job offer contingent on the successful completion of a drug test and background check. The drug test was quick. The background check took about a week. I was cleared for employment on a Tuesday but could not start work until the following Monday because of new employee orientation.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. If you've actually done everything you list on your resume, the interviews are a breeze.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a slightly higher salary (about 5k) and 40 hours of PTO awarded on my start date.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Internal interview process similarly mirrors external process. Resume submission was easy. Kept in contact with a combination of automated emails and recruiter phone calls. 1st interview was recruiter. 2nd with hiring manager. 2 weeks after the hiring manager interview, received contact from the recruiter about job offer. No formal offer letter due to internal transfer.

Interview Question – Do not recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent. Internal promotions are pretty much a take it or leave it event.

Manager of Sales Operations Interview

Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Online application
2. Invite for a one-way video interview
3. Phone screen with recruiter
4. Email that the position was on hold
5. Email that the position was no longer available (assume not filled)

Interview Question – Traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nurse Practitioner Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Initially received a screening call from a human resources recruiter, then I had a phone interview with a manager from a different district. She asked straightforward questions, such as what is your biggest weakness, do you feel comfortable identifying potentially urgent medical conditions in patient's home without diagnostic tools, etc.

Interview Question – They were all expected and straightforward.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Iselin, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – It was different. Their HR office is located in MN. So I got calls from this guy Ben who did a phone interview and set me up with someon in the NJ office once I passed all his questions on the phone. Then I met with the Supervisor which was a pretty easy going interview.

Negotiation Details – It was easy they met my salary demand which wasn't much since I was desperate to get out of working the job I was currently in.

Enterprise Architect Interview

Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview then face-to-face interview. Entire process took 3-4 weeks.

Provider Phone Representative Interview

Oldsmar, FL

I applied online and interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Absolutely Grueling

Interview Question – All questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Run in the other direction as fast as you can, UnitedHealth is not who they profess to be. They are just a big false façade.

Project Manager Intern Interview

Worcester, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – one to one interview with questions about resume and behavior questions

Interview Question – Tell us about the most difficult project you have ever made
Tell us about a situation in which your group was not collaborating with the work, and what did you do
  Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed at UnitedHealth Group

Interview Details – Initial communication was good, so was follow-up. Interviewers were well prepared

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process started with submitting the resume to an online HR portal. Multiple interviews followed with current team members, the manager of the role I was applying for and the leader of the team. Three rounds of interviews in total across a few weeks. Learned of the application nearly one month after I started the process.

Interview Question – The most difficult interview question I recieved was how many windows are there on the Foshay Tower. The difficulty was not in coming up with an answer but in how the interviewer kept pushing on every assumption I made in building up to my answer. The interaction was designed to learn how I think about an ambiguous problem and how I dealt with lack of information and assumptions to come to an answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I attempted to negotiate a later start date as well as a higher salary. I was able to get a small increase in the intiial offer (5%) but was not able to move the start date because the team had an immediate need.

Interviews for Top Jobs at UnitedHealth Group