UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015
1,091 Interview Reviews

2.8

Community Health Worker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter asking about job history and qualifications. Second phone interview with local staff about the specific job duties. All questions were somewhat generic and the mood was laid back. Interviewer gave lots of positive feedback. Within 3 business days I had the job offer. Very quick and painless process.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

There was a brief phone call from a recruiter that I was selected for a phone interview, Scheduled the phone interview for the next morning phone interview was about 30 minutes and she asked questions I then had a face to face interview which lasted about an hour this face to face interview was a lot more pleasant and the manager was eager to answer a lot of questions and she was very knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• describe a time where you had to pay close attention to detail?   Answer Question
    • describe a time where a customer was upset and it wasn't your fault what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Nurse Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Took an interview over the computer, it was pre-recorded questions and was very informal. Then spoke with the recruiter then with someone clinical. The last interview was with the manager and the person I spoke to the interview before. All interviews were over the phone and consisted of situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you faced a difficult situation and how you succeeded   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Costa Mesa, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied mid-April. got a call a week into May telling me to to take my audio assessment. It wasn't a professional phone call. She seemed quiet & scared. It was weird. I checked my email, no email about an assessment. I logged onto my account... no email about an assessment & there is no area that says you need to take one. I was lost, why are they calling & not communicating thru email? I finally went back to my 1st assessment email from when I initially applied & I clicked that link. It took me to an area (that you cannot find on your career page) that had a list of assessments you need to take. After I completed that assessment I received a phone call that I passed the assessment & she gave the run down on pay & training days/hours. She gave me the wrong pay amount. Then she said oh sorry that was the wrong title. She scheduled me for a phone interview w/ a recruiter for the next morning & that recruiter scheduled me with an in-person interview.

I went to the in-person interview a few days later. My initial reaction was... this environment is everything I stand against. You walk in & the security guard is engaged in a convo with a random underdressed man who has his pants hanging very low. When I asked for my interviewers he jokingly said "ooh yes he (the person he was talking to) knows her".. um ok? I don't need that info. There are 2 men off to the side in unironed clothes, having a conversation. The guard had me sign in & take a seat. As I sat in the lobby waiting for my interviewers I think it was time for peoples shifts to be over because there was a flood of people leaving. These people looked lfresh out of hs or barely passing community college kids who were dressed & looked like they rolled out of bed. One girl had a box of Wheaties. I felt overdressed. Nobody was dressed "business casual" nor did they act like they were working for a Fortune 14. I wanted to walk out, like what did I walk into? Do I really want to be part of this team?

My 2 interviewers walked out. The body language & vibe I got from them already told me I wasn't going to get the job. One of the women had unkempt hair & she was wearing jeans. what? They took me into a conference room & the 1 with the unkempt hair was booting up a laptop & said she was going to take notes. The 1 who was going to do the main interview had a slight accent & she revealed that they did not have any of my paperwork. Nice right? I gave them each a resume & that was the only thing they could go off. She even admitted that she knew nothing about me, not that I worked in customer service. She started off by asking me what I know about the company & then going down a list of "things we want you to know" & after each point she gave me the condescending, do you understand? is that alright? As if I was going to get up mid-interview & say you know I knew all this prior to applying for the job but now that you mention it I changed my mind. No lady, I understand everything because I researched the position & company so when you're giving me the obligatory rundown don't question me as if I'm going to chicken out. & trust me.. I didn't give that vibe either. She kept mentioning that I didn't have call center experience. After she gave the rundown she asked me 3 questions. She then said ok so lets put that all away & lets get to know each other, ask me any questions. So I went into my questions. After the 1st one she paused & asked me rudely if that answered my question. This lady was stone cold and did not know how to conduct an interview. I felt like I was sitting in a room with 2 'mean girls' or 'bffs' who were judging someone they were talking to & they were both thinking the same things without even talking to each other. They were so unprofessional, unprepared, & did not know what they were doing. At the beginning of the interview the 1 with the accent introduced themselves twice, I felt like I was going to be tested on it. This whole process was a joke & they were so incompetent. I was sent there through an employee referral also. They just wanted to get me out of there. I walked out knowing it was a waste of time & I wouldn't get it. I received an email the next afternoon saying they were impressed by my qualifications but other candidates closely matched their specifications. I'm so relieved that was the turn out. I picked up an offer the next day by a competitor. UHG's loss!

Please follow your gut feeling before applying for this company. I read all the 'reviews' of people who worked there or currently work there & I wanted to turn the other way but I really needed a job so I went ahead with the interview. I remember the company I worked for prior to this had a representative from UHG try to sell us their insurance plans & her pitch to the workers was, "and birth control? ladies.... we cover birth control!" Disgusting.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to take ownership for someone or something, personal or at work.
      Name a time when you had to show someone how to do something, what was the outcome of that, how did it make you feel?
      Don't remember the 3rd question because I checked out.

Answer Question

Health Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Had an employee referral and then applied online. Was sent an email to complete a digital interview. Felt that it went well, easy questions and I was comfortable doing it. Next got an email to do a phone interview with a recruiter. Set up appointment for the next day. Call went well (or so I thought), recruiter said they would send my information on to the hiring manager and that they would call me that afternoon or the next day. Never heard from anyone again. Called the recruiter to follow up and no return call. Found out I was rejected by logging into my online profile.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to make a decision without a lot of information.   Answer Question

Senior Technology Development Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minn City, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minn City, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

With my graduation about 6-7 weeks away (I'm CompE by the way), I applied online and thereafter received an email for interview over HireView. I knew the Hireview Interview was going to be awkward as I had done one earlier in week with NextEra Energy in which I unarguably bombed. So I was a little nervous. Anyways, I needed the job so I put on a clean shirt and tie and took the plunge.

The next day (I think it was either the next day or there about) I received a call and was informed that I was going to be proceeding to the next interview with two IT managers. This time, because I live about 8 hour drive from Minnesota, my interview was scheduled to take place via a webcam. Incidetally I received this call while I was coming out of my final exam so practically I was done with academic work, at least in the mean time, and would be graduating in 4 days. The interview was scheduled to take place two days after the call via a two-way HireView Cam-to-Cam.

The interview was smooth. They interviewers were courteous to the point of shock. I was amazed at their candor and, most importantly, how they guided me through my responses. It was more like a father-son conversation than a corporate interview.

Later in the evening (about 3 hours after my interview) I was called and made an offer. I took it - it was grad gift and the HRs were nice so I decided it's worth the take.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you were altruistic in your project or work.
      2. Tell me when you didn't agree with a partner in a project and how you handled it.
      3. Why should we hire you?
      4. Tell me when you worked in a project that was undefined.

1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Slow and unpleasant interview experience. It was a slow process requiring much interaction with the recruiter. Finally the interview was scheduled but it was just scenario questions and not really trying to find out if I was really suitable for the job at all. I walked out of there feeling deflated like I wasted my time. For a professional job I felt it was very impersonal and ineffective. Not everyone is able to come up with a scenario type interview. Seems like they take a cookie cutter approach to hiring.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you experienced something unethical or unprofessional in the workplace. How did you handle it? And what was the outcome   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application on a Monday for a job posted on a Friday. There were two openings. I heard back 8 days later that I was invited to complete a "Digital Video Interview" using Hire Vue technology. I had to complete it within 48 hours of receiving the e-mail. It is not a Skype Interview, it is recorded. It is a bit awkward, but not terrible. I had the opportunity to do multiple (I did 2 but I think you can do up to 3) practice questions. The key is to look at the webcam, not at yourself on the screen. Don't use your hands, it distracts. You are given 30 seconds to read the question and think of the answer, so make sure you've run through basic interview questions beforehand. You have 3 minutes to answer. Use it all. And make sure you end around when the timer ends, so that there isn't an awkward gap. You can also choose to end the response early, but 3 minutes goes by fairly fast.

After the video interview, I received an e-mail letting me know they would be in touch. I'm assuming it will be 1-2 weeks post-interview, and it will either be a "There were better qualified candidates, or "We'd like to schedule a phone/in-person interview" conversation/e-mail.

Interview Questions

• 3. You are a part of a team where all members involvement is critical to its success. How would you deal with a challenging member of the team to make sure of your teams success?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been a part of a great work team? What made it great?   Answer Question
    • Introduce yourself, why you are considering leaving your current company/position, and what makes you interested in UHG?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Irvine, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied on their website and received an email requesting a video interview that can be done in the comfort of your own home in front of your laptop camera. The software records your responses for three minutes per question and it did feel rather awkward, but the questions weren't too bad. It's been almost two weeks since that video interview and I haven't heard from them yet. Came on Glassdoor to find out what the usual wait time is after the video interview and it looks like it can vary from a week to three months.

Senior Technology Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

The process took 2 weeks. First call with recruiter to learn about position. Then scheduled a video interview--recorded, not interactive. Then invited for in-person interview--30 mns each. Easy going, The recruiter was very helpful in answering questions, concerns. THe interview process was not as bad as I thought it would be. Very relaxed. The onsite managers were nice and friendly. No curve ball questions, just wanting to know you and see a fit. just be prepared to discuss your resume highlights, course projects, life experiences.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral type questions. Tell me a time : conflict resolution, dealt with bad ethics from co-worker,requirement changed during project etc..   Answer Question