UnitedHealth Group

2.8

Provider Data Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trumbull, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trumbull, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

Fill out application on line, then the recruiter calls to set up interview with supervisor, had to go in for an assestment, a drug test at their lab, then I called back for the interview with the manager. The interview lasted about 30 minutes, the manager put me at ease and made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

After I filled out the online application on the United website the following things happened, but I don't remember the order: online assessment of skills and personality, received an e-mail asking me to pick a day for an on-site assessment within the online scheduling system, picked a day to go in for an assessment. I believe I also had to expand on the information I'd filled out in the initial application.

Onsite assessment took about 1-1.5 hrs. Went over the info we'd already submitted about work and school history, they explained what training is like, what the job consists of, pay range, we signed some papers, etc. Once that happened we did an assessment on the computer that saw what your skills are with using a computer and picking the best responses to say to the customers. The assessment uses a simulator with prerecorded responses that you pick the best one of, lets you input information, etc. You wear headphones and listen to what is happening and follow along.

Once I was done with the assessment, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview a couple days later since I did so well on the computer part. The in-person was 1-on-1 with the same guy who administered the computer assessment, and it took about an hour. We went over my work history, then he asked about 5 situational questions in regard to how I had handled certain situations with customers/co-works. They want specific times when these situations happened, not an explanation of what you would do if they happened. As I was there the guy apologized that he didn't just do this part on the phone...so I guess this part could be a phone interview or in-person.

Later in the day after my 1-on-1 I got a phone call asking me to come in for a final interview the following week. Was asked to bring a copy of my resume with me.

When I went in for my final interview I sat down with two people. One was a supervisor of the area, another was his boss. They asked me more situational questions, a little more in-depth than the other ones. They also explained more about the training and the day-to-day work. Asked if I had any questions about the job. And the big one, "why united healthcare"...know that answer, know why you applied and why you want to work there; why is it a good fit for you? and what are you a good fit for them?

After this final interview was done (it was on a Friday), they told me that I would hear from them early in the beginning of the next week as they had to go over the applications as a management team and make decisions on who to offer for. I would either get a phone call with an offer, or an e-mail saying they were not hiring me. I got a phone call that Monday in the afternoon with the offer. Once I said yes to the offer, the HR person I spoke to explained there would be e-mails I needed to deal with to get the background check started. You need to do this within 24 hours of accepting the offer. Once you do the background check and labor law stuff you will end up getting an e-mail about getting your drug test in the next 24 hours. Once you get the drug test info you have 48 hours to get that done or else the offer of employment will be pulled.

After this you just have to wait for the background check and drug test to come back. If you know you can pass these, you have no need to worry once the offer is made. The job is yours.

Advice: make sure you dress professionally for all parts of the interview, even the assessment. As someone who has been a manager in the past and interviewed plenty of people: It matters what kind of impression you make from the beginning. I wore dress pants with a button down under a sweater for the assessment, nice shoes, a nice coat. Dress like it is an actual interview. For the other two parts I wore a suit. If you have a suit you should wear it, or dress pants and a jacket at the very least for the interviews.

Impression of the company: everyone was very friendly. I had to wait for about 10 minutes for each part of the process beyond when I was scheduled, but this is normal, I wasn't surprised and it wasn't too long to be made to wait. The people who were just walking back and forth to their work areas from breaks or whatever seemed to have smiles on their faces. They do casual Fridays. A friend works there and he is happy with it. Training process seems to be very extensive...14 weeks, set schedule except for having to work at night two times during it. After that you do shift bidding based on performance, attendance, etc. Shift bidding happens every 3 months. The site I will be working at is only open 8am-8pm Mon-Friday. They provide shift differentials if you work after 6pm or are willing to work a floating schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to use your technical expertise to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a stranger, why did you do it?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process for me. When we had the assessment they told us the range for the hourly pay rate, explained that it was based on how much experience you have. I had a ton of experience, and made it clear during the 1-on-1 I expected that I would be offered the highest pay rate based on that. The HR person seemed to concur with me. When I got the call offering me the job I was offered the highest amount you can start off at for the position. I don't know how it would have gone if they didn't think that I should get the highest amount, they certainly could have tried to pay me less, I was unemployed and they could have taken a chance and offered less.

Clinical Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The interview process was fairly easy, and quick. Only two face to face interviews with a personality profile test, and standard interview process with individual and group. Straight forward process with a background check, drug testing, etc.

Fairly easy, they interviewers assess your experience and ask you during the interview how much you believe you should be compensated for the job you are interviewing for, in my situation I was matched with my initial offer.

Senior IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

I had 1 phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with the hiring manager, and one face to face interview with the Sr. director. After that I got an offer. They gave me what I asked for with no negotiations. They have standard generic questions that they ask, but if you can relate those to the job and a positive outcome, all the better.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a difficult question and plan your response ahead of time. For example, have your ever implemented a project and found defects?   View Answer
    They just gave me what I asked for. I figured what I was previously making and added $5000.

Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islandia, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islandia, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Was contacted originally by a recruiter, then conducted two phone interviews. Ultimately I was asking for too much pay, wasn't offered a position.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

I have applied for many supervisor and manager jobs that I am qualified for at UnitedHealth Care. It took months to even get an initial response on many, and some I never heard from. They do keep track of the status of each application on their website for you to check, but that is the ONLY thing that is organized about their process. I had one recruiter call me for a similar job to the one I applied to, after his initial call, I followed up, as he never called me, and finally after 2 months they simply "closed" the position with no communication to me. They open and close positions at a rate that makes it hard to keep up with what is really going on. I do not see how anyone gets hired with this unorganized and cumbersome process.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I submitted my resume to a job posting on an online job board. Within a few days, I received a phone call to set up a call for a phone screen with recruiter. The initial phone screen was just gathering of my basic background info, nothing too detailed about my skillset. I was then invited for a phone interview with hiring manager who briefly asked about my background, interest level in the role, and told me more about the position. Within a few days I was invited in for a single round of straight-forward onsite interviews with 3-4 people in the department lasting a total of just a couple of hours. Everyone was generally friendly and nice; no surprise/out-of-the-ordinary/difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty general, mainly basic situational questions.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation; they offered and I accepted.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

the interview process wa a long and hard task they ask questions which do not pretain to the job and talk more about them selves then anything they ask why you want to work for them but they do want to know the answer to that question becuase when i answered the interviews question she simply went on talking about her self and the thing she went through i did not take the job because the pay rate was out ragious

Interview Questions
    • what is your main goal in life and how do you plan to achieve it   View Answer

Patient Care Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

The whole process went well. I was first emailed to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. After this interview the recruiter called me back to say he sent me an email that linked to a test I needed to take online. This was a personality test. After taking that test he called me back to say I passed and set up a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager as well as I would have to take another test onsite. I took the other test, was told I passed and then I was interviewed again with the hiring manager and with another manager. Everything went well again. I was later contacted again 2 days later by the recruiter to offer the position to me. I unfortunately had to turn it down, due to the hours I would have to work, but did not find out about until the last interview process, I was crossing my fingers for the evening shift. With 2 little ones, an overnight position was not an option at the time. Other than that the whole setting and advancement opportunities would have been great for me.

Interview Questions
    • They weren't really difficult but there were questions such as if someone called with this problem what would you do? Basically you were put on the spot.   Answer Question

Unfortunately I was not able to work an overnight position.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Half hour phone interview. Three weeks later, got a call to set up four hours of in-person interviews. Haven't gone through those yet...