UnitedHealth Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Minnetonka, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – I did not hear back either way regarding whether or not I was hired. Not exactly professional.

Interview Question – Why did you choose your college major?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Minneapolis, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – First was contacted by a hr person to schedule a 1:1 in person interview. After that was over never heard back.

Interview Question – Describe three things your most proud of.   Answer Question

Patient Care Coordinator Interview

Patient Care Coordinator
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – The whole process went well. I was first emailed to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. After this interview the recruiter called me back to say he sent me an email that linked to a test I needed to take online. This was a personality test. After taking that test he called me back to say I passed and set up a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager as well as I would have to take another test onsite. I took the other test, was told I passed and then I was interviewed again with the hiring manager and with another manager. Everything went well again. I was later contacted again 2 days later by the recruiter to offer the position to me. I unfortunately had to turn it down, due to the hours I would have to work, but did not find out about until the last interview process, I was crossing my fingers for the evening shift. With 2 little ones, an overnight position was not an option at the time. Other than that the whole setting and advancement opportunities would have been great for me.

Interview Question – They weren't really difficult but there were questions such as if someone called with this problem what would you do? Basically you were put on the spot.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unfortunately I was not able to work an overnight position.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claims Associate Interview

Claims Associate
Eau Claire, WI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – The first week I had an on-site screening, passed that and right away got a phone interview set up for the next week. About 20 minutes after my phone interview I got a call back for a 1:1 interview. The lady was extremely nice and asked a few questions. The next day I got a call saying I was hired and had to get a drug test done right away.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Senior Data Analyst
Golden Valley, MN

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – Half hour phone interview. Three weeks later, got a call to set up four hours of in-person interviews. Haven't gone through those yet...

Interview Question – Awaiting interview   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative
Greensboro, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Was emailed to come in for an onsite assessment after completing online assessment. When I got there - found out 15 other people would also take the assessment with me and another 15 after that. The girl in charge of the assessment was rude and as we watched from the lobby was too busy smooozing a good looking candidate from days before. She kept us waiting then took us in to the test room. We each had a computer but 2 of them kept locking up...seeing as it was a timed test, she just came over and re-booted which took several minutes with no allowance for the time lost. we flet like a herd of cattle corralled in. She then said we would hear in 24-48 hrs how we did, I no sooner started to walk to my car when i got the email on my phone. Obviously the results are immediate. The test was vocabulary, geometry, fractions, percents and counting blocks, then some simulation scrrens where you joggle between screens which was hard to maneuver on accounts. She said the job was production and each claim rep had to do 70 per hour to keep the job. 7.5 hrs straight at the computer- no breaks. pay at $12.12 hr. They are rude and really coold learn from their website to "walk a mile in their customers and employees shoes- they might learn something. I left not ever wanting to set foot in there again.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They treated potential new hires like cattle. The blogs are right on and at first I didn't want to believe it, thought only disgruntled people wrote in....but they were right -- this place is BADDDDDDDDD.

Senior Web Developer Interview

Senior Web Developer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with Human Resources. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and two of his developers. Lastly I had a panel interview with the team. What helped me get the job was honesty. If I was unfamiliar with technology they were asking me, I told them. The process took longer than I would have liked. I went 3 weeks between interviewing with the hiring manager/team and my panel interview. I assumed I wasn't a fit.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. There were no egos in the room or on the phone. The people were extremely friendly. I interviewed at the Edina campus, and compared to other places I've worked, it's a nice building.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with stored procedures? How have you used them, and how comfortable are you writing them.   Answer Question
  • What is your experience with .NET threading?   Answer Question
  • What is your experience with jQuery and CSS3?   Answer Question
  • How would you troubleshoot slow loading web pages and poorly performing stored procedures?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – The compensation I had requested fell within their salary matrix for this position, so there was no negotiation needed. They asked me my salary requirements, and I received what I asked for.

Customer Care Professional Interview

Customer Care Professional
Tonawanda, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – After I filled out the online application on the United website the following things happened, but I don't remember the order: online assessment of skills and personality, received an e-mail asking me to pick a day for an on-site assessment within the online scheduling system, picked a day to go in for an assessment. I believe I also had to expand on the information I'd filled out in the initial application.

Onsite assessment took about 1-1.5 hrs. Went over the info we'd already submitted about work and school history, they explained what training is like, what the job consists of, pay range, we signed some papers, etc. Once that happened we did an assessment on the computer that saw what your skills are with using a computer and picking the best responses to say to the customers. The assessment uses a simulator with prerecorded responses that you pick the best one of, lets you input information, etc. You wear headphones and listen to what is happening and follow along.

Once I was done with the assessment, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview a couple days later since I did so well on the computer part. The in-person was 1-on-1 with the same guy who administered the computer assessment, and it took about an hour. We went over my work history, then he asked about 5 situational questions in regard to how I had handled certain situations with customers/co-works. They want specific times when these situations happened, not an explanation of what you would do if they happened. As I was there the guy apologized that he didn't just do this part on the phone...so I guess this part could be a phone interview or in-person.

Later in the day after my 1-on-1 I got a phone call asking me to come in for a final interview the following week. Was asked to bring a copy of my resume with me.

When I went in for my final interview I sat down with two people. One was a supervisor of the area, another was his boss. They asked me more situational questions, a little more in-depth than the other ones. They also explained more about the training and the day-to-day work. Asked if I had any questions about the job. And the big one, "why united healthcare"...know that answer, know why you applied and why you want to work there; why is it a good fit for you? and what are you a good fit for them?

After this final interview was done (it was on a Friday), they told me that I would hear from them early in the beginning of the next week as they had to go over the applications as a management team and make decisions on who to offer for. I would either get a phone call with an offer, or an e-mail saying they were not hiring me. I got a phone call that Monday in the afternoon with the offer. Once I said yes to the offer, the HR person I spoke to explained there would be e-mails I needed to deal with to get the background check started. You need to do this within 24 hours of accepting the offer. Once you do the background check and labor law stuff you will end up getting an e-mail about getting your drug test in the next 24 hours. Once you get the drug test info you have 48 hours to get that done or else the offer of employment will be pulled.

After this you just have to wait for the background check and drug test to come back. If you know you can pass these, you have no need to worry once the offer is made. The job is yours.

Advice: make sure you dress professionally for all parts of the interview, even the assessment. As someone who has been a manager in the past and interviewed plenty of people: It matters what kind of impression you make from the beginning. I wore dress pants with a button down under a sweater for the assessment, nice shoes, a nice coat. Dress like it is an actual interview. For the other two parts I wore a suit. If you have a suit you should wear it, or dress pants and a jacket at the very least for the interviews.

Impression of the company: everyone was very friendly. I had to wait for about 10 minutes for each part of the process beyond when I was scheduled, but this is normal, I wasn't surprised and it wasn't too long to be made to wait. The people who were just walking back and forth to their work areas from breaks or whatever seemed to have smiles on their faces. They do casual Fridays. A friend works there and he is happy with it. Training process seems to be very extensive...14 weeks, set schedule except for having to work at night two times during it. After that you do shift bidding based on performance, attendance, etc. Shift bidding happens every 3 months. The site I will be working at is only open 8am-8pm Mon-Friday. They provide shift differentials if you work after 6pm or are willing to work a floating schedule.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to use your technical expertise to solve a problem.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you helped a stranger, why did you do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process for me. When we had the assessment they told us the range for the hourly pay rate, explained that it was based on how much experience you have. I had a ton of experience, and made it clear during the 1-on-1 I expected that I would be offered the highest pay rate based on that. The HR person seemed to concur with me. When I got the call offering me the job I was offered the highest amount you can start off at for the position. I don't know how it would have gone if they didn't think that I should get the highest amount, they certainly could have tried to pay me less, I was unemployed and they could have taken a chance and offered less.

Provider Phone Representative Interview

Provider Phone Representative
Miami, FL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online on December 17th. That same day I was sent an email for me to complete an online assessment which was fairly easy. It's funny because I have done this test twice before and after completing it i was sent an email saying I wasn't chosen immediately. The test consists of 4 scenarios where you will be answering calls and assisting customers. Then after you complete that portion you are asked numerous questions fairly easy you answer true or false or agree or disagree. After I took the assessment I was sent an email on December 20th asking me to schedule to come in and do an assessment. I chose to go on December 29th the assesment was exactly the same as the one I took from home the difference was they didnt ask as many questions. A recruiter explained the position to us and the pay and asked me and another would we like to do an interview that day. I chose to do it the same day. I was asked questions like how have you dealt with an irate customer, give an example of a time where you provided great customer service, beasically they ask you a question they want to know what happened what did you do and what was the result. I was asked to come back the next day for a second interview. I came back the next day and was asked the same questions as the day before except the second interview is with a Manager the first is with a Recruiter. I recieved a call on January 4th telling me I was recieving a contingent offer for the position. The Recruiter emailed me some information on how to do my background check and drug test. I did the drug test on January 5th. On January 9th I recieved a phone call from verifications about my high school and two jobs I had on my application which I took care of the same day. I had put the wrong state for my high school and two previous jobs I worked were not showing me in their system so I had to fax them some pay stubs to clear the discrepancy. So please please don't lie on your application because they verify every job and diploma. I recieved an email yesterday saying I was cleared to start employment on January 23rd!!! The process wasn't bad and I'm very excited and can't wait to start!!!!!

Interview Question – None the questions were easy   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a few employees in leadership positions across multiple departments. Overall, interviews were not too difficult and familiar questions such as "why are you looking for a new job?" and "where do you see yourself in a few years from now" were asked. Having a referral into the company helps to get an interview since there are usually a lot of candidates for a job.

Interview Question – What didn't you like about your old boss?   View Answer

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!