UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.8

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Well planned interview cycle, but a little on the overdone side. Felt like interviewers were just working a behavioral based question template provided by Human Capital, which took up all of the scheduled time so no opportunity to talk about the actual job requirements/description. 4 formal interviews totalling approx. 4+ hours. All by phone. Entire cycle took 30 days/1 month to complete.

Medical Coding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

Medical coding positions that do not require the certification are virtually non-existent, except for UHG. I was extremely appreciative that this company is willing to take experienced coders that have not obtained the certifications, so I jumped at the chance to apply for this position. I completed the virtual interview (consists of three basic questions and you complete this using a webcam), had two phone interviews, and a face-to-face with a coding assessment(find codes and abstract a discharge summary). This process went smoothly and everyone was plenty to speak with....until I did the face-to-face. I interviewed with a male and female, and they were two of the stuffiest people I have ever interviewed for. Limp handshakes, never smiled, and didn't seem interested in interviewing me at all. Like they were just going the motions, and it was very intimidating for no particular reason. I knew within the first 5 minutes of sitting down that I wouldn't get the position. I tried to focus on my work ethic, my teamwork skills, and my ability to receive criticism and feedback, but I don't think it mattered.

I did also apply for the Junior Coder position, which is a position lower than the one I interviewed for, but I probably won't get that position either. I will consider re-applying at UHG, but not for Medical Coding positions, as that was the only negative part about the entire process. I feel that if the people interviewing me really didn't think I was that qualified, they shouldn't have contacted me.

Interview Questions
    • In your opinion, what has been the most difficult issue regarding your coworkers.   View Answer

Web/Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

First web camera interview, next phone interview, next another phone interview, next in-person interview, follow-up phone questions, next tests(programming) and then phone call letting me know an offer will be made.

Interview Questions
    • The usual questions, tedious and rigorous overall-but good, no complaints. I enjoyed the process-nice people.   Answer Question
    They offered much LESS than my minimum given and I counter-offered (closer to their offer) and they took their offer away immediately refusing to negotiate.

Customer Care Advocate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

I applied online. While applying, I accidentally hit the option that I was not a U.S. Citizen. Although I attempted to correct it, it would not allow me to and gave me a message that said they were not able to consider me at this time. So, I simply applied with a different email address and it let me complete everything. I also had to take the standard online test that a lot of call centers give, where you listen to fake calls and follow instructions. There were also personality questions.

Days later, I received a vm from a recruiter in Texas to arrange a phone interview with a manager. Although I tried many times to reach the recruiter back, I never was able to. A couple days later a recruiter in another state contacted me and we were able to arrange the phone interview. I had read about the interview process here at Glassdoor, so I was waiting for them to request the digital interview and I was going to decline, because I think it is ridiculous. Thankfully, they did not ask me to do that. I had the phone interview with a nice man. It took about 40 minutes. Next, I was invited to interview face to face. I was disappointed the actual hiring manager did not conduct the interview, but rather someone in training to be a manager did. She said that she would pass on my responses. That night, I received an email saying I had gotten the job, provided I passed the background check. Two days later, I received a call from someone on the "offer team" to go over the pay, benefits, etc. This person calling from an unknown number kept calling me repeatedly. She called about 5 times in a row without leaving a message. I finally answered the phone because I was so annoyed. She had a heavy foreign accent (India) and I could barely understand her. I did understand her though when she said I was on "standby" for the training class and would only have a spot if someone dropped out or flubbed their background check. In other words, this was NOT a bonafide job offer! I declined to be on standby for these people. Other call centers recognize a certain number of people will drop out of training, get kicked out due to missed days or fail the final exam, and so they overbook the training class. These people don't do that and I think that is unwise.

I declined their "offer", which to me, was not really an offer at all.

Interview Questions
    • They ask situational questions and some can be very hard. Browse through the other interview postings here to see what possible questions you may be asked.   View Answer

It was a standby offer, which means I only had a job if someone dropped out. I am not willing to accept a "job offer" when it is only a "maybe offer".

Product Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

I first met the UnitedHealth recruiters at a university career/internship fair. I ended up interviewing with a man that I had met at the fair and another man who worked for UnitedHealth (2-on-1 interview). While it was nice to see a familiar face, the 2-on-1 interview format was quite intimidating. It was rather casual and conversational, but both men were quite strange. After my interview and the vibes that I had gotten from the interviewers, I knew that this was not the company for me.

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2014.

I applied online right after my cousin didn't get hired . We are similar but different people and he told me he thinks I would be better suit for the job . I applied . Completed assessment . Was sent another one to complete then I was called to set interview .
    I met very nice women at my interview . They were very pleased with the growth of the company and very excited to work here . Made me feel welcome .

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable speaking with the elderly population ?   Answer Question
    I have a degree so they are willing to negotiate higher pay .

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I applied online for a couple different positions. I was emailed a message and link from hirevue asking to do a digital interview. In that interview they allow you to do 3 or so practice questions. You have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to answer the question. The questions were situational and customer service related. Then, a couple of days passed and I got a call from a recruiter stating that I now had a phone interview. In the phone interview they basically just asked your level of knowledge is with a computer. If you have used and know how to use powerpoint, excel, Microsoft outlook etc..... They also asked about your prior jobs and as to why you are leaving them and what you got paid. That same afternoon I received call stating they wanted to schedule an interview with the hiring manager the next day. I went to the interview, there was a women in person and man on the phone. The women an d man both introduced themselves and she then explained what the job position was, what the expected and then they get to the situational questions. They asked 3. #1 Name a situation in which you resolved an unhappy customers issue and how you handled it. #2 Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer. (That question caught me off guard for some reason) and lastly #3 Tell us about a situation where you were frustrated and how you handled your emotions. They concluded the interview after that and stated a recruiter would be in touch with me from that point on. The male on the phone really just listened and asked you to elaborate on your answers and made you go more in depth.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation where you had to explain something complex in depth with a customer?; This question was hard for me because I just couldn't recall an actual situation in which that happened. My mind went blank.   Answer Question

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Hiring process was great. Started off with a phone interview and then an in person meeting with the local contracting team. The phone interview was conducted by the VP and the Director, both who live and work out of Colorado.

Interview Questions
    They accepted my offer and there was no need for negotiation.

Implementation Manager Interview

Process took a month. I applied online, then received email from the corporate human resources office setting up a phone interview with a manager in a regional office then had an in person interview with a sales director in the local office. Once given and accepting offer, undergoing drug test, had to wait 3 weeks until the training class started.

Interview Questions
    • Give example of how you dealt with a difficult business customer in the past.   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The process of hiring at UHG is very efficient. The recruiters work hard to bring talent in the organization in a timely manner.
    You're more likely to go through a phone interview with a recruiter first and then with the hiring manager. The process is structured, but is pretty informal and intuitive. This worked for me.

I didn't negotiate for a long time, the job sounded exciting and i was offered the top of my range right away.