UnitedHealth Group Interview Questions

1,146 Interview Reviews

2.7

Senior Technology Development Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minn City, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minn City, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

With my graduation about 6-7 weeks away (I'm CompE by the way), I applied online and thereafter received an email for interview over HireView. I knew the Hireview Interview was going to be awkward as I had done one earlier in week with NextEra Energy in which I unarguably bombed. So I was a little nervous. Anyways, I needed the job so I put on a clean shirt and tie and took the plunge. The next day (I think it was either the next day or there about) I received a call and was informed that I was going to be proceeding to the next interview with two IT managers. This time, because I live about 8 hour drive from Minnesota, my interview was scheduled to take place via a webcam. Incidetally I received this call while I was coming out of my final exam so practically I was done with academic work, at least in the mean time, and would be graduating in 4 days. The interview was scheduled to take place two days after the call via a two-way HireView Cam-to-Cam. The interview was smooth. They interviewers were courteous to the point of shock. I was amazed at their candor and, most importantly, how they guided me through my responses. It was more like a father-son conversation than a corporate interview. Later in the evening (about 3 hours after my interview) I was called and made an offer. I took it - it was grad gift and the HRs were nice so I decided it's worth the take.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you were altruistic in your project or work. 2. Tell me when you didn't agree with a partner in a project and how you handled it. 3. Why should we hire you? 4. Tell me when you worked in a project that was undefined.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Health Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

This was a video interview. After logging onto a specific site, you are asked 5 questions. You have 30 seconds to prepare your answer and 3 minutes to answer the question. The entire interview is recorded. Your computer must have a webcam to complete this process.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions was: Talk about a decision you made that you would have made differently if you had foresight.   Answer Question

Licensed Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Concord, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

I was told to arrive about 10 to 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork filled out paperwork. Went in for the interview and was told to fill out application on site, I filled out application for position before interview, once that was complete I interviewed for about 10 mins or less, after review of app and going over my availability, position was explained in great detail to me and I was offered position took drug test on site and my drivers license and social security card was copied for my background check and I I was told what date I started and I was hired.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you felt you didn't communicate to a customer effectively?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2015.

Interview

I applied and just a day or two later was invited to do a video interview. The video interview didn't take long, maybe 15 minutes tops. The video interview is awkward because it feels like you're talking to yourself! They give you several practice questions before the interview but you can skip these if you want. I recommend that you do the practice questions because it will record you and let you play it back to see how you did. You can practice for however long you prefer. The interview doesn't start until you hit the "start interview" button. The questions come up, it gives you 30 sec to prep an answer before it records and then you have 3 minutes to respond to question. There are a total of 5 questions. I must've done well, as I have a phone interview next week with a recruiter!

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had incomplete information about something and you had to make a decision on what to do with that incomplete info?   Answer Question

Human Resources Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Mankato, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (North Mankato, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

This was by far the worst over the phone interview I have ever had. First of all they rescheduled twice, and I never received a phone call the second time around. I left work early to make sure I had time to talk on the phone. Then I randomly get a phone call a couple days later and explain to her the situation, and then she starts asking me interview questions! I could not understand her English, and therefore had to have her repeat herself multiple times. She also didn't even know what position applied for and continued to say it was a customer service position. What a frustrating experience overall, really turns the company off.

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Plymouth, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and began the application process shortly after. The interviews consisted of a digital interview (recording responses to behavioral/situational questions online), and an interview in person that lasted slightly over an hour. The in person interview included a 15 minute meet and greet with some of the current TDP members, which was a great way to get a look into the program through their perspective, and a pair of 1:1, 30 minute interviews. The first of the 30 minute interviews was a basic behavioral interview, and the second was a technical interview. The latter was more concerned with what I've learned during college more than demonstrating my knowledge to the interviewer. Both of these were treated as less of an interview and more of a conversation. Thankfully, my second interviewer was willing to take extra time over our allotted 30 minutes to answer any questions I had. Overall, the entire application and interview process was facilitated by VERY friendly and personable people who were always available if I had any questions or concerns. It was a pleasure to be able to interview with UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of two or three projects you were involved with that you're proud of.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about UnitedHealth Group and Optum?   Answer Question

Curriculum Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

After applying for two separate positions I received an email instructing me to schedule a Skype-like interview. The day of the interview, I sat in front of my mac while questions popped up on the screen, giving me 3 minutes to respond. No human contact, no human voice. Basically UnitedHealth Group has been able to find a loop-hole in the law against discriminating on age, gender, race...pretty much anything while they sit back on their leather recliners at the office and judge what they see from this meaningless, nonhuman interview. Then I got an email telling me - with absolutely no explanation - that I was not a good fit for either job. That's it. So I did more research on the company. Evidently UnitedHealth Group is notorious for constant layoffs. funnily enough, they are also rated as one of the top companies hiring "Millennials." They hold that as something they are proud of; basically stating in the same breath that they are ageists. I'm in my early 40's, I've got 15 years of corporate training, curriculum design and project management under my belt, but a couple of questions asked by a faceless, soulless computer decided my fate with a youth obsessed company that evidently thinks consistent layoffs provide a stable, healthy work environment.

Interview Questions

• "What makes you a good fit for this position?"   1 Answer

United Healthgroup Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was a little long. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiters office a few weeks later. I had a phone interview and assessment test that was then forwarded to the company. A couple weeks after that another interview with the company was scheduled. I was made an offer the next business day and my start day was 4 weeks out for the next training period. about 2.5-3 months total

Interview Questions

• Do you have remote experience?   1 Answer

Clinical Appeals Reviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the Recruiter 20 minutes after applying for the position. I was asked basic screening questions and was sent a link for Hirevue, which was awkward for me since it was my first time using a webcam for interviewing purposes. The next day, the recruiter contacted me and said I should hear from the hiring manager within 1-2 weeks. I received a call from the Director based out of Texas 3 weeks later and scheduled a phone interview for the middle of the week. The interview went smooth and I was told a decision would be made within 2 weeks. 2 weeks later, I received an email to complete the self identification in order to remain as a candidate for the position. As I attempted to complete the self identification, I viewed my profile and the status changed to "No longer under consideration." At this point, I was confused and thought that I wasn't selected until I received a call from the Recruiter offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an irate customer. What was the process and result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is key. The recruiter presented an offer, but I asked for more money. Three days later, I was offered a little more than the original offer, but less than the amount I asked for.

Population Health Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter interviewed me and passed me off to the hiring manager. I interviewed with the first person and it went really well. Next interview, the interviewer cancelled and I was not told until 15 minutes after the interview was supposed to start. Rescheduled with another manager. When that interview time came, an entirely different person called me and did the interview. When they called me back to reject me, I was told I didn't have enough PM experience. I was a IT software development PM for 8 years but the worst part is interviewer number 1 said the position really wasn't a PM position.