UnitedHealth Group

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.8

Senior Project Manager Interview

They came to recruit at a college. There was a one on one interview. Formal but very engaging. Asked a few questions. Was not as stressful as expected. After the first interview in a few days I received an email for the second interview at the office location.

Go to a second interview

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2014.

Learned about the position through an intern reception where I gave them my resume. I was contacted a few days later to come in for an on site interview. After that it took approximately a week to hear back from them. I did not get the position unfortunately but the process seemed pretty standard.

Manager Applications Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2014.

From introduction screening with the UHG recruiter through interview with hiring manager the time it took was approximately 2 weeks.

The screening from the recruiter was simple but pertinent questions were asked to make sure a fit had potential. Follow-up was slow in coming but an interview was set up with the hiring manager.

The interview with the hiring manager was much less than expected and anticipated. After a short introduction I was asked to traverse through my resume through all prior positions starting from the time I graduated from my University. The interviewer seemed to have little input or questions. Overall a disappointing experience.

My hunch is the hiring manager already had a candidate already in mind and this interview was just an exercise to check off a necessary hiring check box.

Interview Questions
    • There were absolutely zero difficult questions. It was unexpected that I would need to basically read through my resume' as one would expect the hiring person to have perhaps at least looked at it prior to an interview.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

A recruiter emailed me to discuss the job and the pay and when the training class starts. I was asked to fill out some paper work and email the signed paper work back to them. After that they said they were going to call me if they want to further the process.

Claim Appeals Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. She basically told me about the job specifics and asked a few questions regarding the job qualifications. Afterwards, she gave me the option to do either a phone interview or a digital interview.

I chose to do the digital interview, which basically was a one-way video interview where they asked me 4 different questions. At the start of each question, they give you 30 seconds to prepare your answer and then it starts recording you for up to 3 minutes. They let you practice with practice questions beforehand to get you used to the process. You can do the digital interview on your own time, which was convenient. You just have to complete it within 48 hours.

The next day, I was contacted by the same recruiter who said I passed the digital interview and wanted to schedule a brief phone interview with another recruiter. This interview is fairly simple. They ask you about the different positions that you have held within the last 7 years... How much you were making, your primary responsibilities, etc. If they feel you are qualified, they will call you back to schedule a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The recruiter ended up calling me 2 hours after I finished the phone interview to schedule my face to face for the following Monday.

I went to the office building for my face to face interview. Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes early, dress professionally, bring copies of your resume and make sure you ask for the hiring manager by name! I had my interview, which was also fairly simple. The hiring manager went over the job specifics again, what was expected, and then asked me a few questions such as why I wanted to work there, what my career aspirations are, etc. At the end of the interview, I asked him a few questions. Be sure to have your questions prepared beforehand. Do your research on UHG and ask intelligent questions! He told me he thought I was a good fit and said that he would talk to the recruiter regarding his feedback. I was told to expect something within the next week or so.

Two days later, I got a phone call offering me the job! I am currently awaiting the background check and drug test. Overall, it was a very good experience! Very professional, efficient and easy. Recruiters were very helpful in the process and made it an overall pleasant experience. Good luck!!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you made a mistake and had to apologize to someone.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you experienced someone else doing something unethical.   Answer Question

UAT Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I filled the application online. After a week I got an email from HireVue to take an online one way digital interview. This is easy step. All you need is computer with webcam and lot of confidence. They provide you enough time to rehearse with practice questions. Please make sure of your background. Wall should be plain and not busy, as this video is watched by lot of hiring people within the company. Make sure that you are presentable as you would be for face to face interview. Also make sure the room is well lighted ( no flashy light behind you or window). They asked 3 simple questions. First, Explain when you had a difficult or complex situation at work and how you handled it. Second, how would you handle multiple project with multiple deadline. Third, a time when you have to start a project from ground zero and how you did that. I have yet to hear back from the UHG recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • These are common questions for technical interview so I was not surprised.   View Answers (2)
    didn't find it necessary to negotiate

Senior Healthcare Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I was referred to UHG/Optum by a friend. The friend emailed the recruiter my resume and things quickly evolved from there.

After a few exchanges of email, the recruiter called me to touch base. Once the recruiter ascertained that I was a potential fit I quickly moved into several rounds of phone interviews with peers and managers. As I am already an experienced healthcare consultant, rapport developed quickly while "talking shop" as well as establishing some personal connections. Questions revolved around how deep my healthcare knowledge was, how seasoned I was on projects, what I was personally looking for, and what I felt were my weaknesses.

After the phone interview sessions were completed the recruiter circled back to me with a verbal offer, which I accepted. From there, I received the written offer and additional paperwork steps to provide my DOB, SSN, and to get the background check/drug screening out of the way.

This final step was to schedule a flight to Minneapolis for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me a situation where you had to innovate a solution for a show-stopper problem."   View Answer
    They made me an offer that was way better than what I was making so I did not attempt to negotiate. The offer might have been a slight low-ball, but not enough for me to feel the need to counter-propose. Overall, I was satisfied with their initial offer.

RN Case Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

I had one interview with this company and found it to be a pleasant experience. The recruiter called for a short interviwe, set up with the hiring manager and got back in touch within two days. The time between acceptance of the position and actual start date was prolong by the company. The hiring process can be lengthy.

Interview Questions
    • What example can you give and how did you handle conflict resolution.   Answer Question
    Salary negotiation was completed within 1 week of interview.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Several jobs popped up in my town (which never happens), so I applied for all of them. Within a day or 2, I got emails to take the assessments related to the jobs I applied for. I took, then at the end of the week saw there was going to be job fair the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you dealt with someone unethical, and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Customers Service Advocate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Had a phone interview with recruiter that was very easy. Informed of pay and start date early in interview. A few questions on how you improved a situation for someone at work

Take it or leave it.