UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.8

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The process of hiring at UHG is very efficient. The recruiters work hard to bring talent in the organization in a timely manner.
    You're more likely to go through a phone interview with a recruiter first and then with the hiring manager. The process is structured, but is pretty informal and intuitive. This worked for me.

I didn't negotiate for a long time, the job sounded exciting and i was offered the top of my range right away.

Clinical Quality RN Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Still in the process. I received an email suggesting a job matched my qualifications (this was on Sunday night). I applied the next day (Monday) and that evening I got an email for Skype type interview, I completed that on Tuesday. Two days later I received an email to set up a time for a telephone interview with recruiter, I did the telephone interview on Friday. A week later I received a call to set up a third interview with hiring manager. That interview is still pending.

Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Very straightforward. There was a phone interview; in-person computer skills test (which was disguised as "log in to this terminal and print your information for us"); and in-person interview. Interview process went exactly as they described it would.

Consultant Interview

Got recruited at campus. Attended career fair, 2 rounds of interviews and was given offer letter. Round 1 was behavioral and round 2 was more of a discussion on past experience, 'fit' . Interview questions were standard. Nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary.

RN Call Center Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The process took a little over a week. I applied online, the next day I received an email for Hirevue and a phone call from the recruiter who told me about the job and hours. I completed the hirevue and thought I blew it but got a call the next day from the recruiter saying they wanted a face to face interview. Two days later, on a Friday, I completed the face to face interview. She said she was moving me forward and asked what time I could talk to her manager on Monday. I said before 11am and THEY called at 10:45 for a 15 minute panel interview. The short interview ended and I was told I would hear from the recruiter. The recruiter called 2 hours later and offered me a job!!!
    FAST AND EFFICIENT!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult situation and how did you handle it. Tell me about a situation that challenged your ethics. What did you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation they offered more than I was told to expect.

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Five interviews in total spanning some ten weeks. Four audio/telephonic only and one in person with a panel teleconferencing with four people. Hired and no training or discussion of direction for the first five weeks of employment.

Interview Questions
    • Accomplishments as an individual contributor versus group accomplishments. Which do you prefer and why.   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.

Digital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2014.

One of the most horrendous and inconsistent hiring process I've experienced. First, started with a submission online which then resulted in an HR rep phone conversation about salary and general expectations. Next, asked to complete a recorded video interview to answer a few questions related to the position. From that, I was asked to come to the office for an interview with the hiring manager. Keep in mind, they do not reimburse for travel and I drove 3.5 hours to get to the interview knowing I was moving to the location in the next month.

From there, I received follow up that the hiring manager wanted me to come back again for final interviews with the manager, the VP, and meet the rest of the team. The interview was pretty conversational, not really too much in depth about experience or what they were looking for. I was told I would hear back in 1-2 weeks on their decision. A month and a 1/2 passed with no communication. The recruiter would not respond to my inquiries asking for an update, they would not pass along emails so I could check in directly and make it personal, and they were completely unresponsive.

Finally, after finding a teammate on LinkedIn and shooting him/her a message, I received the generic response via email that they no longer had the position available. Total time from first conversation to their decision was 3 months. This was a complete waste of my time, there was no consideration for my candidacy, and there was no communication from any members of the hiring team or recruitment/HR department. Very unpleasant experience and would not recommend this company to anyone. Maybe coming from the #1 company in the world my expectations are high, but this was by far the worst experience I've encountered.

Interview Questions
    • None - very straight forward questions and conversational about experience   Answer Question

Nurse Practitioner Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Met Manager at the office. Very pleasant and professional. typical interview question- like job history.
    Good experience. Got interviewed and hired right away. I reiterated what was written on my resume. No further questions asked.

On Site Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2014.

Started with the online application submission, next day i recieved an email of reciept and an invitation to do a recorded video. The video was one way, lots of practise questions if you need them. Prepared in advance, have answers to possible scenario type questions prepared. Best advise. .....smile! The recruiter later told me thats what made me stand out.the day after the video was submitted, i recieved a request for a phone interview with a recruiter. Set my time and they were very punctual! Brief phone interview, reviewed job description, benefits and pay range. Then told that the hiring manager would be calling me in the next few days. That same day, she called to set up anotherphone interview with herself and an additional person. Compledted next day, situational questions, further clarity about job and expectations. After interview i sent a thank you email and two hours later, a response with information regarding start dates. The next day, job offer. Now pending drug test and background check.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, as i had used this forum prior to the interview and already knew the type of questions being asked   Answer Question
    No need, what i was hoping for

UnitedHealth Group Response

Sep 15, 2014Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share insights around your positive experience and congratulations on your offer!

EAP Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

The interview process seems fairly streamlined through the UHG recruiting system. Recruiter was clearcut in the process, but the second interviewers were not. Recruiter and on-site second interviewers described the job differently. First interview was not as clinical as second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a conflict with your teammate and how you worked through that.
      Please describe how you worked through a complex case.

Answer Question