UnitedHealth Group

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Minnetonka, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very cumbersome and lengthy

Interview Question – Do you think this is the job for you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Leader doing the interview did not seem to understand the position and seemed like she would be constantly micro-managing.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – From the time I applied online to the job offer it took about 4-5 weeks. The recruiter was nice but didn't have her facts straight. She quoted me a higher salary and then they offered me lower than what I had been making! I thought this was a bait and swith tactic and didn't like the company from the get go. I had two phone interviews with the same two people. The questions were brutal-situation and behavioral type questions. The manager was rude and even cut me off while I was speaking since she thought I was talking too much. Who knows. They really told me very little about the job. Only kept asking me difficult questions. I did accept the offer since I was semi-employed at the time. The job turned out to be much less than what the brutal interview questions made it seem like it might be. The three weeks between getting the job offer and actually starting was consumed with them emailing or calling me everday! It was like I already worked there but without the pay. HR, the manager and the background check people hounded me daily with questions and information.I didn't want to work here, but needed the job. As it turned out the department I am in is extremely dysfunctional. Some people have not gotten a raise in 5 years! There was really no training and everyone seems worried about getting laid off and have bad attitudes. Take a job here if you are desperate.

Interview Question – What did you do when..,.Expain a time when....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a bit more and was told "this is the best we can do". 23 days off a year.

Very Difficult Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in October 2008.

Interview Details – There is a 2 part test from previsor.

Interview Question – Behavioral interviewing. Tell me about a time when you work long hours to complete a project. Tell me about a time when you had to manage a big change a work.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation. There are salary grades, like the military and there is a little room but not much. One you are in the company there is little room for increases, you need to be a top performer to earn a raise. It is a pay for performance system and no one will tell you this information!

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – I have applied for many supervisor and manager jobs that I am qualified for at UnitedHealth Care. It took months to even get an initial response on many, and some I never heard from. They do keep track of the status of each application on their website for you to check, but that is the ONLY thing that is organized about their process. I had one recruiter call me for a similar job to the one I applied to, after his initial call, I followed up, as he never called me, and finally after 2 months they simply "closed" the position with no communication to me. They open and close positions at a rate that makes it hard to keep up with what is really going on. I do not see how anyone gets hired with this unorganized and cumbersome process.

Interview Question – no specific questions---that was the problem   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – This was an interview for an internal position which would amount to a promotion. There were two interviews with upper management and one on-site interview with an upper level executive for another dept. All the interviewers seemed to just being going through the motions as though the outcome had already been decided. In fact, the upper level executive actually told another interviewee that I had applied for this position and that interviewee got the job.

Interview Question – What is your management style?   View Answer

Manager

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – the people seemed informed. questions weren't hard, just giving examples of questions they asked. i.e. how do you handle unethical comments made by and employee. how do you work on a team, you might need to work extra hours from 6 to 6. Also have a team of home bound employees.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where an employee said something unethical?   View Answer
  • Tell us a time how you won over a client.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group Manager interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees and interview candidates.