UnitedHealth Group

Updated Aug 22, 2014

2.6

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

30 minute phone screen followed by an hour-long in-person interview a month later. Straightforward behavioral questions, everything seemed to go OK. No contact until three months after the interview, at which point I learned the position no longer existed (i.e. no funding, decided not to hire anyone). A frustrating experience.

Other Interview Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Recruiter makes the initial outreach and interview to screen for minimum requirements, skills, candidate disposition. The time between initial interview and subsequent ones may be very long, as much as 3 months. Very large organization so it is hard to identify who does what.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to have my job (question asked by hiring manager)   View Answer
    It is safe to make a reasonable counter offer. If excessive, you will be quickly dropped from list of candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Process began when I submitted my resume to the UHG job portal for a Project Manager position. The job I applied for was located in Santa Ana, CA, but my first contact was from an HR person in Minnesota. This first contact was a phone call about 5 days after I submitted my resume. I spent about forty minutes on the phone with this person. Easy first interview; mostly questions about why I left each of my previous jobs and what my strengths and weaknesses are. Nothing technical. I feel the goal of this interview was to test my demeanor and verify if I could string coherent sentences together. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the hiring manager and I should hear from them within the week. About a week later, I received an email asking my availability for a face to face interview. The earliest date was for the following week. I note this because the UHG hiring process is not a fast one; even when there is an immediate need, as in this case.

The face to face interview(s) lasted about three hours. I first interviewed with the hiring manager. This interview was similar to the phone interview I had previously with HR. I was asked if I had time to meet with the Director that oversees this position. Of course I said yes. I waited a few minutes before the Director arrived. This interview was very technical and covered the specific responsibilities held at each of my former employers. Luckily, I had brought examples of my work to share. Again I was asked if I had time for another interview; this time with the Senior VP that oversees this position. Again I said yes. After about 20 minutes, I had a third interview with the SVP, Director and hiring manager. The SVP ran this interview which seemed mostly social. Not technical at all. At the end, I was told they would get back to me soon.

About a week later, I was given a job offer contingent on the successful completion of a drug test and background check. The drug test was quick. The background check took about a week. I was cleared for employment on a Tuesday but could not start work until the following Monday because of new employee orientation.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. If you've actually done everything you list on your resume, the interviews are a breeze.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a slightly higher salary (about 5k) and 40 hours of PTO awarded on my start date.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Be prepared to be grilled, they have a thorough interview process. I appreciate how this company does things and their interview process is no different.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Very professional, organized process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2013.

HR set up two phone interviews with PM team members

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with PM? Give me a run through of an average day at your current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2011.

After submitting my resume I was contacted very quickly to set up an interview. The first interview was a phone interview. She was very thorough in asking about the progression of jobs through my career. Mostly followed this format - how one position led to the next, etc. After her questions, she told more about the job, which I actually wished had been first in order to frame up some of the answers better. Then, she told me about their process. Overall, the process was very thorough, but kept to the 1/2 hour time set for the first phone interview. I am waiting to hear if a meeting with the hiring manager is desired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

The process took a weekinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in July 2010.

I submitted my resume through Monster.com and was contacted within a week by a HR rep. Had a brief phone interview and was invited for an on-site interview. Interview was with the hiring manager and was fairly straight forward. I haven't heard yet if I have been offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Give and example of a time when you were asked to complete a task but weren't given enough information   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2010.

The HR is outsourced so there was someone who did a phone screen, which was not very engaging - just reviewing the requirements of the job and your ability.

Next was interviewed over phone by 2-3 managers.

In my experience the interview was not difficult. The interviewer also does not try to stress you much. I thought they are judging the communication skills more than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • Questions like -- tell me about a time you were challenged , tell me abt a time you took a tough decision, tell me about a time you had an ethical dilemma and how you resolved it , tell me about your best accomplishment   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2009.

I was recommended by a personal contact within the organization. Two separate positions were available, so on the interview day, I arrived and was interviewed by the supervisor of each position, separately. Then I met with a potential colleague to get more information about the culture of the organization. The process lasted about 1.5 hours. I received an offer the next day, and accepted the offer one day later.