UnitedHealth Group

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Process began when I submitted my resume to the UHG job portal for a Project Manager position. The job I applied for was located in Santa Ana, CA, but my first contact was from an HR person in Minnesota. This first contact was a phone call about 5 days after I submitted my resume. I spent about forty minutes on the phone with this person. Easy first interview; mostly questions about why I left each of my previous jobs and what my strengths and weaknesses are. Nothing technical. I feel the goal of this interview was to test my demeanor and verify if I could string coherent sentences together. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the hiring manager and I should hear from them within the week. About a week later, I received an email asking my availability for a face to face interview. The earliest date was for the following week. I note this because the UHG hiring process is not a fast one; even when there is an immediate need, as in this case.

The face to face interview(s) lasted about three hours. I first interviewed with the hiring manager. This interview was similar to the phone interview I had previously with HR. I was asked if I had time to meet with the Director that oversees this position. Of course I said yes. I waited a few minutes before the Director arrived. This interview was very technical and covered the specific responsibilities held at each of my former employers. Luckily, I had brought examples of my work to share. Again I was asked if I had time for another interview; this time with the Senior VP that oversees this position. Again I said yes. After about 20 minutes, I had a third interview with the SVP, Director and hiring manager. The SVP ran this interview which seemed mostly social. Not technical at all. At the end, I was told they would get back to me soon.

About a week later, I was given a job offer contingent on the successful completion of a drug test and background check. The drug test was quick. The background check took about a week. I was cleared for employment on a Tuesday but could not start work until the following Monday because of new employee orientation.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. If you've actually done everything you list on your resume, the interviews are a breeze.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a slightly higher salary (about 5k) and 40 hours of PTO awarded on my start date.

Project Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Be prepared to be grilled, they have a thorough interview process. I appreciate how this company does things and their interview process is no different.

Interview Question – No questions were really unexpected.   Answer Question

Basking Ridge, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2010.

Interview Details – The HR is outsourced so there was someone who did a phone screen, which was not very engaging - just reviewing the requirements of the job and your ability.

Next was interviewed over phone by 2-3 managers.

In my experience the interview was not difficult. The interviewer also does not try to stress you much. I thought they are judging the communication skills more than anything else.

Interview Question – Questions like -- tell me about a time you were challenged , tell me abt a time you took a tough decision, tell me about a time you had an ethical dilemma and how you resolved it , tell me about your best accomplishment   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview Details – Very professional, organized process.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last company?   Answer Question

Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – HR set up two phone interviews with PM team members

Interview Question – What is your experience with PM? Give me a run through of an average day at your current job.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Minneapolis, MN

The process took 3 days - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume I was contacted very quickly to set up an interview. The first interview was a phone interview. She was very thorough in asking about the progression of jobs through my career. Mostly followed this format - how one position led to the next, etc. After her questions, she told more about the job, which I actually wished had been first in order to frame up some of the answers better. Then, she told me about their process. Overall, the process was very thorough, but kept to the 1/2 hour time set for the first phone interview. I am waiting to hear if a meeting with the hiring manager is desired.

Interview Question – No really tough questions   Answer Question

Cypress, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2009.

Interview Details – Couple of interviews with director and Sr. Director. This was followed by an interview with the VP. Good follow through by the hiring manager. Since there are several different groups the processes can differ widely.

Negotiation Details – Negotiation practice was not very good. Recruiters took their own time and were not knowledgeable. Get everything in writing as verbal commitment were not accurate.

Minnetonka, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through Monster.com and was contacted within a week by a HR rep. Had a brief phone interview and was invited for an on-site interview. Interview was with the hiring manager and was fairly straight forward. I haven't heard yet if I have been offered the job.

Interview Question – Give and example of a time when you were asked to complete a task but weren't given enough information   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was recommended by a personal contact within the organization. Two separate positions were available, so on the interview day, I arrived and was interviewed by the supervisor of each position, separately. Then I met with a potential colleague to get more information about the culture of the organization. The process lasted about 1.5 hours. I received an offer the next day, and accepted the offer one day later.

Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in December 2007.

Interview Details – They were painfully slow and did not communicate well at all. They are the worst employer in the nation. They were late by 2 weeks in scheduling the second interview. They keep you in the dark and you really have to push them hard to move forward.
My only advise is that don't work for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotiation went pretty well. The HR person was good. They gave me the right amount of salary that I desired. So no complaints there.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!