UnitedHealth Group Senior Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2015.

Getting a job at United Health Group is a long process, but it can be done, so if you're interested in working here, don't give up.

I applied online to a ton of open positions - they have dozens of open project management positions at any given time. For one of these positions, I received an email from UHG recruiting inviting me to a digital interview (this email went to my spam folder in Gmail, so CHECK THE SPAM!!!). Upon receipt of the email, you have 48 hours to complete the interview.

The digital interview is awkward. I'm lucky enough in that I have a new desktop Mac with a webcam. This whole process would be tough to do on a tablet or smartphone.

I thought I royally screwed the digital interview up, as I stumbled on my answers and didn't think I was articulate enough. It's very awkward talking to yourself. Keep in mind though, most of the other candidates also think it's awkward, so if you blunder through some of the questions, don't fret too much. And SMILE!

The questions are pretty easy -- very basic interview questions ("Tell me why you want to work here" "describe one of the projects you managed") and there's only 5 of them but again, it's awkward! Make sure you dress up (I work my suit) and be mindful of any background clutter.

Apparently they liked me enough to proceed to the next round. The next round consisted of two phone interviews -- one with HR and one with the hiring manager. My hiring manager was located across the country, so there would be no in-person with her. The hiring manager didn't ask me any silly interview questions - it was just a conversation about my skills. Again, I thought I bombed it, but I must've done well, as about a week and a half later, I was invited for an in-person interview with two team members.

The in-person was a breeze. It didn't seem like an interview. I just had a conversation with two team members on-site, about what I'd be working on when I initially start the role. I knew I had the job when I left, as one of the team members said he would start the process with HR that afternoon.

The next day, I had an offer from the UHG recruiter by phone. They make an offer, and THEN they do the paperwork after you accept -- it's background check by an outside firm and a drug test (pee in a cup).

All in all, this whole process took about 2.5-3 months, from initial online app to my start date. It's a long process, but it's a huge company and if you want to work here, keep applying.

Other Interview Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in February 2015.

I received an email saying, "Congratulations, you are invited to interview with UHG!" Was disappointed when I continued reading only to find that they wanted me to do a 'digital video' interview. For the digital video interview, I was to prepare as though it were a real in-person interview, log into some website and have a video recorded of the interview. The interview would consist of three questions. After each question, I would have 30 seconds to forumulate a response, and then three minutes to respond to the question. I opted NOT to do this, as I have privacy and security concerns with regards to having a digital video made of me that would be out of my control once recorded. I prefer to talk to people, not a web cam. The only good news of all this is that after I failed to respond to the request for interview, they sent me a survey asking me about the interview process experience, where I basically stated everything I said here, so maybe they will listen and stop using this ludicrous pre-screening method. It would be great if HR would take this survey response to heart, which would be amazing, but more likely I think they will be offended and find some reason why I wasn't a good candidate to begin with and mark me as a DO NOT HIRE. I heard nothing after submitting the survey. Never in the whole process did I talk with any recruiter or other representative from UHG. I think I can figure from this that UHG really doesn't care about its employees or their time. It's a guess on my part, but my intuition is usually pretty right on in this regard.

Interview Questions
    • I would have been asked three questions, given 30 seconds to formulate a response, then three minutes to respond.   View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

They came to recruit at a college. There was a one on one interview. Formal but very engaging. Asked a few questions. Was not as stressful as expected. After the first interview in a few days I received an email for the second interview at the office location.

Go to a second interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Internal interview process similarly mirrors external process. Resume submission was easy. Kept in contact with a combination of automated emails and recruiter phone calls. 1st interview was recruiter. 2nd with hiring manager. 2 weeks after the hiring manager interview, received contact from the recruiter about job offer. No formal offer letter due to internal transfer.

Interview Questions
    Non-existent. Internal promotions are pretty much a take it or leave it event.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Two interviews, one was a peer interview which I especially appreciated as it gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the team and ask questions about the culture of the team.
    There was communication throughout from my application through the HR screening process to the interview scheduling and the decision process. The interiew was a "behavioral" or "situational" style interview focusing on behaviors, successes, and past learning experiences. Equal opportunity given for me to ask questions. I walked away from the interview process feeling as though I had every opportunity to distinguish myself as a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do if you aren't offered this position.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in September 2012.

Interviewing with the hiring manager and his/her peers was uneventful and standard.
    Where UNH fell down was with the recruiter. She was very disorganized and not informative or responsive.
    Also, in my observations. requisitions are left open on internet job sites when positions have long since been filled, creating confusion and unnecessary work for applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews included the usual behavioral and technical questions.   Answer Question

The recruiting process and lack of organization sent a bad message to me about the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in May 2011.

I initially applied about four months prior to being contacted by United. The pre-screening process was excellent. The HR contact was very helpful. There were about six 1:1 phone interviews with different team members spanning an additional 2 months and largely focused on my experience with "matrixed" environments. One thing that stands out in my mind is the process felt meandering. I had no idea what the reporting structure was and didn't realize I had completed the interview process by the time the offer came. I was still waiting for a face to face, which of course never happened!

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were very straight forward. I do not recall any specifics, but walked away with a sense that the work would be very fast-paced with a great deal of independence and expectation. I was most surprised by the sheer volume of interviews. By the end of the process, I had a higher degree of comfort, but was still taken back by the number of people with which I spoke.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2010.

A very pleasurable experience. The company planned the initial phone interview. The 1:1 interview was on site and the interview was conducted in a very professional and informative meeting.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected interview questions. Only question that was a surprise was regarding my certifications   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group in March 2007.

Depends on manager. Behavioral questions are asked to demonstrate how you handle/act in different situations. If you are interviewing for a technical position, technical questions may be asked, including examples of your work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker and how the situation was resolved.   Answer Question
    Always negotiate the offer. Worst they can say is no. They obviously want you for the position.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Took months for a call. Talked to several people. Hired over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were easy and no brainers just like the managers asking the questions. I should have known something was wrong from the experience.   Answer Question
    Not bad. I had a number and they met it.