Universal American

Updated Jan 17, 2015
Updated Jan 17, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Universal American.

Initial communications with recruiter were good. Interview set up occurred rather quickly but the process went downhill after that. They wanted 5 or 6 people as references so they waited for responses before moving forward. Took everything one step at a time instead of moving quickly in a competitive environment. Overall not a great experience.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Universal American.

Single onsite interview with hiring manager.Turns out she had just inherited the team and read from HR job description. Actual job tasks were almost completely different and much more basic than she led me to believe. After about 6 months she lost the team. Then that manager lost the team.

No negotiation. Salary was at top of my range and job description looked challenging.

Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Universal American.

Position required interview which went very well. Received a call within a week to hire on as a contractor. After 1 month was hired on full time.

Interview Questions
    I wish I had negotiated but needed a job at the time and settled for what was offered. If I had been in a better position, I definitely would have negotiated for more.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Universal American.

The interview process was quick and easy. It began with a phone screening with HR. I was then called in for an interview with the hiring manager and while I was there I also met with the VP and upper management. I was called the next day with the offer.

Interview Questions

I had another offer more in line with my career goals

Field Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Utica, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Utica, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Universal American in September 2013.

They do their initial hiring and screening process through a third company recruiter located out of state. I was given a phone interview with the third party recruiter and asked to set up an account with the company's file sharing computer program and submit a lengthy application and background check packet. A few days later I had a phone interview with someone who was actually from Universal American and was asked to have an in person interview a week later. The entire time the third party recruiter was very active in following up with any updates or new documents the company wanted signed. After the first interview the third party recruiter called to tell me there was a lot of positive feedback and that I pretty much had the job. However i was called back almost 3 weeks later, after I had been following up to see if I had a firm offer and was asked to come back for a 2nd in person interview, which was set up through the third party recruiter. I was given the wrong hotel address to show up at and after arriving where the third party recruiter told me to show up and realizing no one was there to interview me, i called the interviewer directly and was told I was at the wrong hotel. Although I had initially arrived early, the correct hotel was located in another town and I was 15 minutes late for the interview. I had let the interviewer know due to the error, I would be 15 minutes late and apologized. However when I arrived the interviewer was very short with me and I could tell she was upset about the mix up. I apologized and explained the situation but it did not seem to help. I followed up a few times in the next month after the 2nd interview and the third party recruiter, who before had been keeping me in the loop of progress weekly (she followed up frequently on her own initiative) no longer returned my messages or explained what happened. I feel the communication between the company and third party recruiter was poor and felt that it was unprofessional not to follow up or return my messages due to a mistake on their end, especially after investing so much time filling out paperwork, installing software, and having two phone and two in person interviews. This interview process was quick to start then slowed down dramatically and spread over three months before going completely dead.To this day no one has followed up with me to offer or decline the position I spent so much time interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • If a person on your caseload had bandages that needed changed but they were not changing them regularly, how would you address that and resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Universal American in April 2012.

Slow and tedious - four different people to go through to get to the hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral based interview "Tell me a time when ..." The most unexpected question was tell me about your worst boss.   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Universal American in January 2012.

The hiring and interview process is primarily electronic. Whether or not a face to face or telephonic interview occurs depends on the position and reporting manager. In this case, the interview did occur face to face.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews I've had within Universal American not been creative or otherwise unexpected.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase took place telephonically where the HR representative had to consult the hiring manager. The process took several days with the involvement of HR before the offer letter was finalized for signature.

Assistant Vice President Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Universal American in May 2010.

First contacted by a recruiter. I had two conversations with the recruiter before he passed my resume to the company HR, and the interview was with a contracted HR manager who didn't have much knowledge of the company or the position. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes with the HR person asking questions from a list and typing down answers word for word, without any interactions.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of your analytical experience.   Answer Question
    • What kind of work have you been doing at your current position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Universal American in January 2010.

took them 2 months to get me hired on-interviewing was easy with questions about experience and strengths-standard skills assessments-drug testing and background clearance-group/panel interview-benefits explained but no mention of cost of living raises or discussion of goals or opportunities within the organization

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied in-person – interviewed at Universal American in November 2008.

Met Regional Manager at job fair, got hired in back room of a bank without any screening or anything. If you could fill out the paperwork and were not a felon then you were in. Depending on how much they liked you they might pay for your ins. licencing classes.

None.