Universal Orlando Resort

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.4

Food Service Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Universal Orlando Resort in October 2014.

Got an email about a week after i applied and scheduled an in person interview the week after. Got their at 830am for a 9am interview and was first person to be seen. She was so polite and made it very relaxed.

Dishwasher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Universal Orlando Resort in September 2014.

I filled out an application online. I came in for the first interview and passed. The restaurant I applied to had several other applications so I was referred to another restaurant. I went in for the second interview and was told the position was already filled.

Entertainment Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Universal Orlando Resort.

The hiring process was easy and friendly. At the entry level, Universal interviews and hires large amounts of people at a time, so there is a bit of a wait, but once it's your turn the process is simple with little pressure. Interviewers are approachable and easy to talk to. Once you accept employment, a second interview for specific positions within Universal may be necessary.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you say is your greatest fault, and how do you overcome it?" It's unexpected because many interviews focus on your strengths rather than checking to see how you deal with your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Attractions Attendant Interview

Pretty normal interview questions...they asked about previous work experience
    some behavioral questions like "tell me about a time where you worked with a difficult client and how you solved the problem, the final outcome of the situation and what you learned from this situation and how you used it in the future"

Interview Questions
    • Just thinking of situations that answered the questions   Answer Question

Costume Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Universal Orlando Resort in July 2014.

Filled out the application on the website, was sent an email to schedule an interview within 2 hours. The first available slots for interviews were about a week and half out. Arrived early, but there were several other people scheduled for my time slot to interview as well, for all sorts of positions. Since we waited outside for the building to open we got to chat a little. Pretty much all positions have to go through the same initial interview process it seems. Also, GPS systems have no idea where this building is. Find it beforehand or have a number to call if you get lost. It's essentially the employee parking lot for the entire resort complex and then there's a giant well-marked building for HR. You enter the lobby, have your bag checked by security and sign in, and then are sent to a large waiting area beyond a big reception desk (you check in at the smaller desk by the doors). "Issues" go to the bigger desk, and people with everything in order go to the larger rear waiting area to wait to be called back. Full array of applicants, from t-shirt and jeans to full business attire to performers in their dance clothes for auditions. Everyone goes through this building.

In the waiting area you get to watch Harry Potter films until your name is called. You also fill out a brief questionnaire about availability, job interests (like other areas you'd be willing to work), and basic ability to work (citizenship, etc..)

I was quickly called back for my first interview and brought to a little cubical in a moderately large room. There's probably a dozen of these cubicles which have just enough room for a small computer desk and the applicant and interviewer's chairs. If you're a larger person, it is a bit of a tight squeeze (you literally sit next-to the computer with the interviewer across from you). Basic questions - Why here, why this position, etc.. and a basic "talk me through you resume" type question. Tell me about your biggest accomplishment. My interviewer had been with the company for 15+ years and I have an interest in theme parks in general so we just talked about the business in general a good bit, which made my interview last about an hour but I saw others going in and out in like 15-20mins. There was a guide sheet that had predetermined questions on it the interviewer had to reference, but the tone of my interview was much more conversational and less structured. The was literally an "ok, enough of this" moment from my interviewer when they got rid of the sheet and started just looking in the computer to see what areas had openings that fit my interests.

Certain roles can be hired same day. This one needed management approval from the specific department and those managers don't work every single day like the gen interview staff. If you need to meet one you’re scheduled a second interview time (mine was the following week) and you lather, rinse, repeat the whole process.

The second interview for me was much like the first, but with specific questions relating to the position itself, less about ability and moreso about the understanding of the job tasks, ability to work with diverse groups of people, etc. The second interview seemed much less about if I was qualified and more about if I was a good fit for the particular openings that were being considered. The second interview's questions reflected the "finding a fit" aspect by asking about if I'd prefer to work alone, with groups, indoors/outdoors or on this particular show, event, etc.. The second interview was about 10-15 minutes, but was midday so I waited longer to be called back and whole place was louder, busier, etc.

Being accepted - not told I was accepted, but accepted - I was asked to wait in the lobby again. Eventually the HR person in charge of the entertainment area came out to call me back. This brought me to a more formal office - her personal office - where I was made the offer. We chatted briefly and I asked more questions about her position/etc.. and then went back into the lobby again. From this point every person you encounter welcomes and congratulates you.

More waiting, and I was called to a side room just off the lobby where they go over all the details again, schedule orientation, and look at your proof of employ-ability. You fill out your I-9 and choose the name on your nametag at this point. Orientations are minimum of 2 days (1 general in classroom, 1 walking around the parks/resort) and then specific areas have their own accordingly. These 2 days happen Mon/Tue or Wed/Sat in pairs. Given a folio with pre-orientation information, contact numbers, etc.. Also, consent to background check.

More congratulations and you're walked across the lobby to a room that does fingerprint processing and photographing for your forthcoming ID. It's not an ink fingerprint, but a digital scan. Quick and painless. More congrats and you're sent on your way back out the front door.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation where you went above and beyond...   Answer Question
    Not negotiable, and below the rate I had listed as my minimum in my application. I expected this though, and they don't negotiate, no theme park does.

Merchandise Team Captain Interview

It was cool!!! Going hard as usual wasn't hard though at all & I loved the wings they had us prepping and making churros.. I make slush ice in the morning as usual Boss gave me a way to go!

Retail Interview

normal interview questions- asked about previous work experience
    some behavioral questions- tell me about a time where - how you worked with a difficult client- how you solved the problem- the final outcome of the situation and what you learned from this situation and how you used it in the future

Parking Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Universal Orlando Resort.

I applied online and within 2 weeks got a call for an interview. Two interviews, HR and the supervisor. They were all situational questions. Don't just refer to your old jobs but refer to school and everyday things. Very easy and not intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you dealt with an unhappy customer and what did you do in order to fix the situation.   Answer Question

Attractions Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Universal Orlando Resort.

There was only one in-person interview. They ask questions like, "Was there ever a time where you dealt with an angry co-worker? How did you handle it?" or "Was there ever a time where you disagreed with someone in a leadership position?" Just a lot of behavioral type questions. They also ask you "Why do you want to work at Universal?", "Why should we hire you?", and "Tell me about yourself." This was my very first job interview so I was a little nervous, but it was fine. I had volunteered before so I was able to answer the behavioral questions and had some experience with cash-handling. On the form they give you before the interview, I had put that I was also willing to work in merchandise and food service, so at the end of the interview I was offered a position at a restaurant instead of attractions. I was hired on the spot and they took all of my basic information. Now I have to complete the three orientations before I start working. I'm starting as a seasonal worker, but was told that if I showed a good work ethic, I can move up to part-time. If you dress nicely (business casual) and smile, you'll do fine. I think they are looking for people who care about the guests and will work well with other people.

Interview Questions
    • "Was there a time where you dealt with an angry customer?"   Answer Question
    They told me to let them know if I thought the restaurant position was a good fit or not and I said that it was. They also asked if the pay was okay, but I think that's pretty non-negotiable.

SALES COUNSLER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

There was a total of 3 interviews 1 phone interview and 2 in person. They asked pretty basic questions about your relevant experience. They are mainly looking for people who are dependable. Attendance is key. Keep in mind it's a call center position so you are on the phones all day. Came in as part time was promised full time after being vacations trained but 6 months later still dealing with hours going from 40 one week all the way down to 16. But since I been here I had 3 raises so far.

N/a