University College London Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2014
12 interviews

2.9

Employer Engagement Administrator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at University College London.

I applied online, through the UCL website. They had the standard questions, about how my experience etc fitted with the job description and role. The website was fine to use, though I did find it odd I have to add my GCSEs to my education history.

I was sent an email inviting me to interview, along with a link to book my interview time. It was a panel interview of 3 people (2 managers and a guest from UoL), though none of the correspondence from UCL mentioned who I would be meeting. They were all very pleasant, and I felt that it was a good interview, at least on their behalf, with the panel drilling down on specifics of processes used to solve problems, software I had used previously, and how I prioritise. This was different from other interviews I have attended, and it was good that they were asking questions, rather than sitting back and letting the candidate talk themselves in to - or out of - the job.

The panel interview lasted around 40 minutes, though I think we went over the allotted time. I also had a written test, which was to reply to an email from an employer who was going to be presenting at a careers fair, and had requests that I wouldn't be able to meet. This seemed fairly elementary, but as I didn't get an offer, what the hell do I know?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult, but a couple were surprising: what is the most difficult piece of software you've used, and how did you go about solving the problems you encountered when using it.   Answer Question

Reviewer Interview

reviewer

get prepaid cards

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University College London in August 2009.

Submission of CV and letter of interest - shortlist invited interview with panel of 3 faculty members (line manager, dept director, outsider)

Interview Questions
    • How will the position help you achieve your long-term goals? and What can you contribute?   Answer Question
    There is little negotiation for this level position at UK universities. Salaries stick very close to determined scales.

PhD Student Interview

Approached lecturer directly, gave me literature to review. Had a discussion about research proposal with reference to the reviewed literature

PhD Interview

I applied from within the department.
    This has the obvious advantages that I do not require the full process of application.
    However, it does require small informal, off-record interviews, which are really just small talks.
    They are brief and very casual, just some short conversations, not so much as to judge your abilities but to understand each other. What research interests you have etc. These however, will vary largely on the supervisor or interviewer you have.
    For those of you who are thinking to apply within the department, do not be intimidated.

Interview Questions
    • I wished to have experience of certain technique during the research, but did not have a good enough idea as to how it may be possible, given it is before even being accepted for a studentship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University College London in September 2012.

friend emailed me a job link he found on a listserv. I applied online; it was the standard academic application procedure. Maybe a week or two later I received an email setting up an interview for a week hence. Interviewed, and was offered the post by email half an hour after the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    My start date was incredibly negotiable. But that was about the only negotiating. Salary was completely non-negotiable. Work schedule was whatever I wanted as long as I averaged enough hours per month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University College London in March 2012.

Public Adv. for 3 weeks for recruitment, followed by selecting candidates for interviews and final selection.

Interview Questions
    • Usually specific to your research experience   View Answer

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (F6) Interview

Internal. Usually sorted out with one of your former lectures, internal advertisements in the department or from your tutor.

Interview Questions
    • You must have knowledge of the area you will teach in.   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University College London in June 2011.

ok!

Interview Questions
    • It seems you have lots of teaching experience in various contexts. Could you highlighting some of your memoriable teaching situations please?   Answer Question
    • Ask me to lecture/explain an academic economics problem.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University College London in April 2012.

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question

Worked for University College London? Contribute to the Community!