University College London

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.1

PhD Student Interview

I was given a potential research topic and asked to write up a review on the problem. Basically I was asked to describe the problem. Obviously solutions have to be found after joining. My summary impressed the supervisor and he supported my application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London.

- Online application (CV, personal statement, research proposal etc.)
    - Assessment center type interview
    - Interviews are conducted by several potential supervisors
    - Final stage of interview is to give a 20 mins presentation of a research project or proposal and followed by 10-20 mins of questions
    However it varies from department to department. Some of my colleagues had only one interview with the potential supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Overall everyone is very accommodating. The process is very competitive. Questions can be very specific.   Answer Question
    The starting time was negotiated

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University College London.

I was invited to interview after application online. The interview is normal for a reserarch associate position. First a 25 minutes presentation about my previous research and then a 40 minutes interview. The audience of the presentation was friendly. There were no difficult problems. The interview process consisted of a number of questions about me, and some research questions.

Interview Questions
    • No especially difficult problems. However, there were some questions on details for example, a couple of questions about famous papers in the research area.   Answer Question

Employer Engagement Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University College London.

I applied online, through the UCL website. They had the standard questions, about how my experience etc fitted with the job description and role. The website was fine to use, though I did find it odd I have to add my GCSEs to my education history.

I was sent an email inviting me to interview, along with a link to book my interview time. It was a panel interview of 3 people (2 managers and a guest from UoL), though none of the correspondence from UCL mentioned who I would be meeting. They were all very pleasant, and I felt that it was a good interview, at least on their behalf, with the panel drilling down on specifics of processes used to solve problems, software I had used previously, and how I prioritise. This was different from other interviews I have attended, and it was good that they were asking questions, rather than sitting back and letting the candidate talk themselves in to - or out of - the job.

The panel interview lasted around 40 minutes, though I think we went over the allotted time. I also had a written test, which was to reply to an email from an employer who was going to be presenting at a careers fair, and had requests that I wouldn't be able to meet. This seemed fairly elementary, but as I didn't get an offer, what the hell do I know?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult, but a couple were surprising: what is the most difficult piece of software you've used, and how did you go about solving the problems you encountered when using it.   Answer Question

Reviewer Interview

reviewer

get prepaid cards

PhD Student Interview

Approached lecturer directly, gave me literature to review. Had a discussion about research proposal with reference to the reviewed literature

PhD Interview

I applied from within the department.
    This has the obvious advantages that I do not require the full process of application.
    However, it does require small informal, off-record interviews, which are really just small talks.
    They are brief and very casual, just some short conversations, not so much as to judge your abilities but to understand each other. What research interests you have etc. These however, will vary largely on the supervisor or interviewer you have.
    For those of you who are thinking to apply within the department, do not be intimidated.

Interview Questions
    • I wished to have experience of certain technique during the research, but did not have a good enough idea as to how it may be possible, given it is before even being accepted for a studentship.   Answer Question

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (F6) Interview

Internal. Usually sorted out with one of your former lectures, internal advertisements in the department or from your tutor.

Interview Questions
    • You must have knowledge of the area you will teach in.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University College London in September 2012.

friend emailed me a job link he found on a listserv. I applied online; it was the standard academic application procedure. Maybe a week or two later I received an email setting up an interview for a week hence. Interviewed, and was offered the post by email half an hour after the interview was over.

Interview Questions
    My start date was incredibly negotiable. But that was about the only negotiating. Salary was completely non-negotiable. Work schedule was whatever I wanted as long as I averaged enough hours per month.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London in April 2012.

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question