University College London Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.3

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University College London.

Interview

I applied for the position online. It took more than a month for the application to be processed and the interview was with the two supervisors. The mood of the interview was quite tense but it might have been my nervousness. Usually the other candidates would have an on-site interview but I was out of the UK at that moment so I had an interview via Skype. There were some delays at the beginning.

Interview Questions

• The questions were about my previous projects and their publications.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

applied via the UCL web-page, got an e-mail with invitiation to interview with a specific date and time. It took place about 2 weeks later and lasted for about 40 min. The interview panel had 3 people- everyone working in the lab. They asked about my previous experience, plans for the future and why am I not doing a PhD. I got an e-mail with comments a few days later. I didn't get the job, but the professor said I did a good job.

Interview Questions

• previous experience and working with various molecular bio techniques   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

I sent in a CV and covering letter and got an invitation for an interview within a week. Very quick turn-around. The interview was with a panel five of future supervisors. I was asked to give a short presentation about my work and was asked skills questions (see below). The interview was mostly technical. But it was a good experience. Very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• "How would you address this problem"/"How would you go about solving this problem"   Answer Question

Employer Engagement Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University College London.

Interview

I applied online, through the UCL website. They had the standard questions, about how my experience etc fitted with the job description and role. The website was fine to use, though I did find it odd I have to add my GCSEs to my education history. I was sent an email inviting me to interview, along with a link to book my interview time. It was a panel interview of 3 people (2 managers and a guest from UoL), though none of the correspondence from UCL mentioned who I would be meeting. They were all very pleasant, and I felt that it was a good interview, at least on their behalf, with the panel drilling down on specifics of processes used to solve problems, software I had used previously, and how I prioritise. This was different from other interviews I have attended, and it was good that they were asking questions, rather than sitting back and letting the candidate talk themselves in to - or out of - the job. The panel interview lasted around 40 minutes, though I think we went over the allotted time. I also had a written test, which was to reply to an email from an employer who was going to be presenting at a careers fair, and had requests that I wouldn't be able to meet. This seemed fairly elementary, but as I didn't get an offer, what the hell do I know?

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult, but a couple were surprising: what is the most difficult piece of software you've used, and how did you go about solving the problems you encountered when using it.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University College London (City of London, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

ok!

Interview Questions

• It seems you have lots of teaching experience in various contexts. Could you highlighting some of your memoriable teaching situations please?   Answer Question
    • Ask me to lecture/explain an academic economics problem.   Answer Question

R&D Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University College London in January 2010.

Interview

It was just discussion with the faculty about his research. I then toured their facility and was preetty impressed by the the equipment they had there. I was told the job had not been advertised yet and I would be contacted once it is advertised.