University College London Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Apr 9, 2015
Updated Apr 9, 2015

3.1

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

- Online application (CV, personal statement, research proposal etc.)
    - Assessment center type interview
    - Interviews are conducted by several potential supervisors
    - Final stage of interview is to give a 20 mins presentation of a research project or proposal and followed by 10-20 mins of questions
    However it varies from department to department. Some of my colleagues had only one interview with the potential supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Overall everyone is very accommodating. The process is very competitive. Questions can be very specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The starting time was negotiated

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was a panel interview with four professors including the head of the department and head of year. All the usual questions were asked, such as why do you want to do this? Why would you be a good candidate, as well as more personal and detailed previous experience questions.

Interview Questions

• How many hours do you think the typical PhD student works a week?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

I sent in a CV and covering letter and got an invitation for an interview within a week. Very quick turn-around. The interview was with a panel five of future supervisors. I was asked to give a short presentation about my work and was asked skills questions (see below). The interview was mostly technical. But it was a good experience. Very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• "How would you address this problem"/"How would you go about solving this problem"   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

Public Adv. for 3 weeks for recruitment, followed by selecting candidates for interviews and final selection.

Interview Questions

• Usually specific to your research experience   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

friend emailed me a job link he found on a listserv. I applied online; it was the standard academic application procedure. Maybe a week or two later I received an email setting up an interview for a week hence. Interviewed, and was offered the post by email half an hour after the interview was over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My start date was incredibly negotiable. But that was about the only negotiating. Salary was completely non-negotiable. Work schedule was whatever I wanted as long as I averaged enough hours per month.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in August 2009.

Interview

Submission of CV and letter of interest - shortlist invited interview with panel of 3 faculty members (line manager, dept director, outsider)

Interview Questions

• How will the position help you achieve your long-term goals? and What can you contribute?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is little negotiation for this level position at UK universities. Salaries stick very close to determined scales.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted via email with interview offer 3 days after submitting application. Interview scheduled two weeks later. Interview in front of panel, with 10 min presentation. After the interview, contacted later that day by email with job offer, contingent on reference checks. Formal offer made one week after interview. Not much more to say really. Don't really understand why there is a requirement for fifty words minimum? Surely what I have already written is sufficient?

Ad Hoc Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in January 2008.

Interview

Submission of required paperwork, with statement of purpose, and one-to-one interview. Interview, like application, was based on internal reference and never opened to outsiders, as this was a cut-rate employment. There was no negotiation. Salary was pre-determined by administrators within the employers. No benefits. No leave. It all amounted to voluntary work with slight financial reimbursement.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want this obligation?   1 Answer