University College London Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Aug 9, 2015

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

- Online application (CV, personal statement, research proposal etc.) - Assessment center type interview - Interviews are conducted by several potential supervisors - Final stage of interview is to give a 20 mins presentation of a research project or proposal and followed by 10-20 mins of questions However it varies from department to department. Some of my colleagues had only one interview with the potential supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Overall everyone is very accommodating. The process is very competitive. Questions can be very specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The starting time was negotiated

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was a panel interview with four professors including the head of the department and head of year. All the usual questions were asked, such as why do you want to do this? Why would you be a good candidate, as well as more personal and detailed previous experience questions.

Interview Questions

• How many hours do you think the typical PhD student works a week?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

I sent in a CV and covering letter and got an invitation for an interview within a week. Very quick turn-around. The interview was with a panel five of future supervisors. I was asked to give a short presentation about my work and was asked skills questions (see below). The interview was mostly technical. But it was a good experience. Very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• "How would you address this problem"/"How would you go about solving this problem"   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in November 2011.

Interview

Interview round with principal investigator plus two additional independent panel members. 15 minute presentation given followed by round of questions. the process finalised by candidates being passed onto other lab members for a mini tour of the actual facilities and research area. overall a pleasant experience which made it less daunting and even enjoyable.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

applied via the UCL web-page, got an e-mail with invitiation to interview with a specific date and time. It took place about 2 weeks later and lasted for about 40 min. The interview panel had 3 people- everyone working in the lab. They asked about my previous experience, plans for the future and why am I not doing a PhD. I got an e-mail with comments a few days later. I didn't get the job, but the professor said I did a good job.

Interview Questions

• previous experience and working with various molecular bio techniques   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Application through online system. After a first shortlisting I was invited for a first interview (in person - but could have been via Skype if too far away) consisting of a presentation of one of my last projects, questions around two publications I was asked to read a couple of weeks before the interview day, and an attention to details test. After a second shortlisting, I was inviting for a 2-hour data analysis task to perform after a discussion with a mock collaborator.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

Public Adv. for 3 weeks for recruitment, followed by selecting candidates for interviews and final selection.

Interview Questions

• Usually specific to your research experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

friend emailed me a job link he found on a listserv. I applied online; it was the standard academic application procedure. Maybe a week or two later I received an email setting up an interview for a week hence. Interviewed, and was offered the post by email half an hour after the interview was over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My start date was incredibly negotiable. But that was about the only negotiating. Salary was completely non-negotiable. Work schedule was whatever I wanted as long as I averaged enough hours per month.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied and was offered an interview for the following week. Interviewed via Skype. Interview consisted of some basic questions about experience, behavior, and abilities. Interviewers were friendly and it seemed like more of a discussion than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Alzheimers and Frontotemporal Dementia?   Answer Question
    • Living in a rural town in the US, do you think living in London would be difficult for you?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in August 2009.

Interview

Submission of CV and letter of interest - shortlist invited interview with panel of 3 faculty members (line manager, dept director, outsider)

Interview Questions

• How will the position help you achieve your long-term goals? and What can you contribute?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is little negotiation for this level position at UK universities. Salaries stick very close to determined scales.