University Physicians Healthcare Hospital Interview Questions & Reviews

1.0

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at University Physicians Healthcare Hospital in September 2008.

The first interview is with HR. They ask ask simple probing questions about job history, performance, and ideals. They do want whistle blowers. One a separate day, about a week apart, you interview with your department manager. they ask the technical and job specific questions. Sometimes a panel will interview the person.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw somebody doing something illegal?   View Answer

Director (Managed Care) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University Physicians Healthcare Hospital in October 2008.

Within a week of sending my resume, I had a phone interview with an HR Manager. It was congenial. It was obvious that she was very interested and she said they were in a hurry to fill the position. I already had some inside information about the dept. I would run. I knew there were staffing issues, meaning one or more might need to be let go. My next interview was with the newly appointed medical director. He was 30 minutes late. He seemed disinterested in having to interview me, spent his time telling me how much money the University was losing due to the disorganization and evolving structure of the organization. After talking with him, I immediately assessed how I would approach the job if I got it. He kept asking me questions which I believe were intended to get my good ideas for free. I told him a couple of small things I would do but I wasn't going to tell him how to save the half million a year until I was hired. I interviewed with the new COO afterwards. He was very upfront about the problems facing this position and confirmed what I already knew. He explained that they had hired consultants to the tune of $75K to tell them how to reorganize to improve and restructure. He assured me that after they reviewed the consultant's presentation (to be held that evening), I would hear back from them. He encouraged me to call in a week so we could move forward. I walked out thinking I had the job.

The next week I called to follow up with the HR manager and I could tell something had changed. She was caught off guard, hemmed and hawed, saying that they were still in the process of figuring out the reporting structure etc. I don't know if it was the consultant's presentation, lack of funds or clear direction where they wanted to go (the medical director kept saying he wasn't sure how reporting to my position would be which told me that they really didn't know what they were doing), or if I failed the prescreening tests I took online. Unfortunately I was working out of town when I went online to take the tests and I don't think I did as well as I could have so I may have shot myself in the foot. The tests consisted of an IQ test although they called it a skill set test and an emotional IQ test. On the IQ test, much of it was timed and for some reason I let the timer get the best of me. I've taken tests like this for other positions and done well so I honestly do not know what happened. I know that I interviewed well. I felt the COO was a little too upfront and folksy (he swore numerous times) for a formal interview. The medical director was so new to the position, it was obvious he was floundering, not able to make any decision because he had no experience. He seemed annoyed that he had to perform an interview and I felt being a half hour late without calling was rude. I waited outside in the hall, left messages with his secretary who was not in, left messages with the HR manager who was not in. Given I drove 2 hours from Phoenix, i wasn't impressed. Being a neurologist is no excuse either - he wasn't saving a life in the ER.

In retrospect, I wish I had not rushed to take those tests. I would liked to have had the chance to turn their problems around because I know I could and I love the challenge, but I'm not upset that I didn't get the job because I wouldn't enjoy working for inexperienced, indecisive people or people who feel their title or stature justifies being late without calling you and/or rude.

My advice to anyone interviewing with this organization is to do your homework on the structure of the organization, ask the HR manager a lot of questions, come prepared with more questions so you can clearly get a feel for what is going on (if anything) that might be a red flag that you don't want to work for them, if you are asked to take the online assessments, do it when you are not distracted and have quiet time. The company has a good reputation and from what I can tell they have a strategic plan for the future so I believe they are probably worth the time to interview with.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at University Physicians Healthcare Hospital

Worked for University Physicians Healthcare Hospital? Contribute to the Community!