University of Alabama in Huntsville

www.uah.edu

University of Alabama in Huntsville Interview Questions & Reviews in Huntsville, AL

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville.

Interview Details – They send you an email that you have been awarded a GRA position. Next I dont not remember much as it has been more than 2 years now for this.

Interview Question – No questions asked.   Answer Question

Director of Networks and Infrastructure Interview

Director of Networks and Infrastructure
Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in May 2013.

Interview Details – Overall Perceptions
Pro's
It was a formal and structured interview process.
Interview coordination communications were excellent; clear, concise, timely and without inaccuracies
The actual interviews consisted of a balanced representation from a personnel and inquiry perspective and the time was well utilized

Con's
None, it was an extremely pleasant experience.

Details
The first interview was conducted over Skype, it was scheduled for 1 hr and consisted of ~7 people including myself. It went the entire hour but did not go over and I got the distinct impression that it was more of a comprehensive screening. It went very smoothly, the range of questions was balanced and appropriate for the position advertised. I didn't get any obviously loaded questions, there was no grandstanding and it was clear that filling this position with the best candidate was important to everyone in the meeting.

The second interview was about two weeks later. It was in person, lasted all day and was broken up into ~6 sessions. It was very similarly structured to the first interview but with increased time allowing for more depth. And my perceptions we're in line with the first interview as well. The panels in the individual sessions some of which consisted of entirely different people conveyed a very uniform and similar overall personality. The sessions had a very appropriate balance of technical and non technical questions and when concluded I was extremely confidant with their process and the information gleaned in both directions.

Personal Impressions
I was very impressed with the level of professionalism displayed in every way. The body language, tone and content of the verbal interactions between one another and with me were exceptional. I was extremely impressed, the level of personal investment and dedication to the organization by everyone I spoke with was not only exemplary but inspiring.

Interview Question – Being that I'm extremely technical with no real managerial experience outside of being a seasoned technical lead, with this position having a very distinct managerial component, I found the personnel questions ventured the furthest from my comfort zones. One in particular was phrased similar to the following:

"Given you're management style and how to interact with direct reports where do you weigh in on the difference between leadership and management?"

Once I clearly understood the question, I found it to be a very insightful, thought provoking and relevant question especially for very technical people...a month later, I still find it very thought provoking.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, it's pretty bleak out there right now so I was just thankful to have gotten the nod. Plus they're taking a big risk on me being that I'm all tech no management. I need to earn the role and prove myself.

Administrative Support Interview

Administrative Support
Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in January 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed so well I made it to the Provost and was verbally offered the position. I was then told the position was closed with a vague explanation. the HR department was terrible with follow-up and could never provide concrete answers to your questions.

Interview Question – All questions were relevant to the job.   Answer Question

Worked for University of Alabama in Huntsville? Contribute to the Community!