University of Alabama in Huntsville

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.2

Phonathon Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in October 2014.

the interview was conducted over the phone and planned over email, got interview the same week as initial application. simple questions and the most challenging involved how well i dealt with rejection

Interview Questions
    • "how well do you deal with rejection? tell me about a time in which you were rejected and how you reacted."   Answer Question
    didnt try to negotiate, i am happy with everything and simply glad i got the job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville.

They send you an email that you have been awarded a GRA position. Next I dont not remember much as it has been more than 2 years now for this.

Director of Networks and Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in May 2013.

Overall Perceptions
    Pro's
    It was a formal and structured interview process.
    Interview coordination communications were excellent; clear, concise, timely and without inaccuracies
    The actual interviews consisted of a balanced representation from a personnel and inquiry perspective and the time was well utilized

Con's
    None, it was an extremely pleasant experience.

Details
    The first interview was conducted over Skype, it was scheduled for 1 hr and consisted of ~7 people including myself. It went the entire hour but did not go over and I got the distinct impression that it was more of a comprehensive screening. It went very smoothly, the range of questions was balanced and appropriate for the position advertised. I didn't get any obviously loaded questions, there was no grandstanding and it was clear that filling this position with the best candidate was important to everyone in the meeting.

The second interview was about two weeks later. It was in person, lasted all day and was broken up into ~6 sessions. It was very similarly structured to the first interview but with increased time allowing for more depth. And my perceptions we're in line with the first interview as well. The panels in the individual sessions some of which consisted of entirely different people conveyed a very uniform and similar overall personality. The sessions had a very appropriate balance of technical and non technical questions and when concluded I was extremely confidant with their process and the information gleaned in both directions.

Personal Impressions
    I was very impressed with the level of professionalism displayed in every way. The body language, tone and content of the verbal interactions between one another and with me were exceptional. I was extremely impressed, the level of personal investment and dedication to the organization by everyone I spoke with was not only exemplary but inspiring.

Interview Questions
    • Being that I'm extremely technical with no real managerial experience outside of being a seasoned technical lead, with this position having a very distinct managerial component, I found the personnel questions ventured the furthest from my comfort zones. One in particular was phrased similar to the following:

"Given you're management style and how to interact with direct reports where do you weigh in on the difference between leadership and management?"

Once I clearly understood the question, I found it to be a very insightful, thought provoking and relevant question especially for very technical people...a month later, I still find it very thought provoking.

Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate anything, it's pretty bleak out there right now so I was just thankful to have gotten the nod. Plus they're taking a big risk on me being that I'm all tech no management. I need to earn the role and prove myself.

Administrative Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in January 2013.

I interviewed so well I made it to the Provost and was verbally offered the position. I was then told the position was closed with a vague explanation. the HR department was terrible with follow-up and could never provide concrete answers to your questions.

Principal Research Scientist II - On Call Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in February 2007.

After finding the job opening posted on the University website, I mailed a cover letter and resume to the contact person with a date that I would call. I called on the mentioned date with a carefully scripted introduction. I was scheduled to come in and speak to management within the week. After insuring that I had the credentials the position needed, more than one manager interviewed me, and I was told I had the job as soon as the paperwork was finished. The total interview time was about 1.5 hours. After about a month of waiting, I called and asked about progress. The process was begun. About 3 weeks later I called and was told I could start. Advice: If you apply for a job for which you are well-qualified, and if there isn't much competition, your odds are high at getting the job. Perceptions: University work is more advanced and less repetitive than other jobs. Most people are professional, though some tend to withold information to maintain an edge. Politics are similar to other workplaces. The people are usually easy to work with, though I tend to get along with most anyone and am not particularly competitive or ambitious. Managment and scheduling is more flexible than most. The facilities are average to below average and custodians are subpar. I have a 10 x 12 office with a tall ceiling and large windows, view of trees and parking lot, 4 doors from the boss.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or trick questions. I was asked about previous job experience.   View Answer
    • I was asked to verify my number of years of experience.   View Answer
    I think I was lucky, and negotiation was very easy and pleasant. I was able to negotiate a very fair salary for my skills. I was well qualified and educated for the position, and I knew the range offered. I was asked to pick the point in the range that I needed to do the job. I picked in the middle, not to be too greedy. It was given to me without hesitation. I was pleasesd with the salary, though I received a raise within 3 months of beginning the job.

Postdoctoral Researcher Biology Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in January 2010.

questions asked on my previous experience, work skills, ability to mingle with different ethnic groups, experimental skills,

Staff Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville in October 2008.

Questions & Answer with a panel.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a wage that was acceptable.