University of Alberta Interview Questions & Reviews

21 interviews

2.7

Junior Helpdesk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Alberta in January 2009.

I was asked a lot of technical questions, some of which I was not able to answer. At the end of the interview, I was not able to discern whether I would get the position or not.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with rude callers at the helpdesk?   View Answer
    No negotiation involved as it is an entry position

Research Coordinator Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Alberta in October 2010.

A) 1:1 with GILDR group Director of operations: she talked 80% of the allocated time.
    B) Group interview with the rest of the group: ballanced q&a intervals over lunch.
    C) 1:1 with the Medical Lead: short and sweet and personable.

Interview Questions
    Although initially there seemed to be some space for negotiation, it ended up being a one way street.

Quantitative Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Alberta in September 2010.

Phone call came at the specified time. Several questions about the background, followed by questions like 'Do you follow the market? What's Dow today? What's Morganstanley's stock price today?"

After that, there were 4 math and finance questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's Morganstanley's stock price today?   View Answer

Research Assistant - Engineering Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Alberta.

I found the job posting through CAPS. I applied and an interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later. It was a formal interview in business clothing. The professor asked if I had relevant coursework in the lab's research area and if I knew how to use Pro E/Solidworks.

Interview Questions
    • I was shown a drawing of a piece of research equipment and asked to guess what its function was.   Answer Question
    There is usually a set budget for research assistants, if you want more money you'll need to apply for a grant (NSERC, Alberta Ingenuity, etc) or show that you have significant research work (publications help) outside of the classroom.

Bio Statistician Interview

They will give you an interview very soon. Most quesions are about the behaviour quesions. For the technique quesions, they just focus on the projects they did.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Alberta in October 2009.

Be honest about expectations and abilities

Research Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Alberta.

Initially communicated with a professor whose work I was very interested in.
    He ended up finding me a position using some of the budget money to work as a researcher and programmer for one of his research groups.
    The interview was one on-site interview where I was asked a few technical questions in a room with the professor and two senior developers for a similar research group.
    I was offered the job right after.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not particularly difficult, the interviewers were focused on the problem solving process predominantly.   Answer Question

Lab Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at University of Alberta in August 2012.

The questions include:
    Briefly introduce yourself? What makes you fit this position? How much do you know this position? Will you be able to work in the evenings and weekends? Will you like teamwork? Do you have any related working experience? Do you have any concern about this job? Which personality do you like and why?

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of Alberta in June 2013.

I applied for the position, and was contacted a few days later for an interview the following week. The interview consisted of a panel, and then half an hour to complete a mock email to a prospective student. After the interview, I was phoned the next day and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all easy and straightforward behavioral interview questions. The mock email was based on a fairly straightforward question about admission to the Faculty of Arts. The information was easily found in the provided University calendar, although the interviewer said that the tone of the email would be most important.   Answer Question

Project Lead Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of Alberta.

Had two phone interviews with business office and direct manager. Additional in-person interview with senior management/director. Interviews were relatively formal in nature and lasted approx. 30 minutes each. The job offer was made and was given few days to accept the position. Overall from interviews to starting position took ~20 days.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe your process for starting clinical trials from beginning to end phases.   Answer Question
    Not much leeway for negotiations

Worked for University of Alberta? Contribute to the Community!