University of Alberta Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Alberta.

It is based my MSC program , which is maser of science as a assistant my supervisor ask me to help with his project and program which including data analyze, experiment prepare , material process ,make orders and help other labmates with it

The funding was applied by the professor and as a employee he hire me to do the research work.

Interview Questions
    • Why there is no result of your experiment   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

After finding a professor with a suitable field of research, you initiate contact and wait for a reply. Usually requires transcript. No interview.

Research Assistant - Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta.

I found the job posting through CAPS. I applied and an interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later. It was a formal interview in business clothing. The professor asked if I had relevant coursework in the lab's research area and if I knew how to use Pro E/Solidworks.

Interview Questions
    • I was shown a drawing of a piece of research equipment and asked to guess what its function was.   Answer Question
    There is usually a set budget for research assistants, if you want more money you'll need to apply for a grant (NSERC, Alberta Ingenuity, etc) or show that you have significant research work (publications help) outside of the classroom.

Lab Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Alberta in August 2012.

The questions include:
    Briefly introduce yourself? What makes you fit this position? How much do you know this position? Will you be able to work in the evenings and weekends? Will you like teamwork? Do you have any related working experience? Do you have any concern about this job? Which personality do you like and why?

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Alberta in May 2012.

I had a one-day interview. I did a presentation for about an hour in the morning. about 20 people attended the talk. Had lunch with the department head and dinner with some other faculty members. The overall interview experience was quite pleasant.

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Alberta in November 2011.

The interview process was done for a formality. No serious questions. They are interested in knowing whether you will be eligible for external funding.
    Because, the principal investigators dont want to spend their money to fund you.
    Hiring is based on possibility of external funding.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate anything except joining date.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at University of Alberta in May 2011.

Applied through e-mail, got answer back very quickly, had a lengthy phone interview was offered the job on the spot

No negotiation

Research Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta in October 2010.

A) 1:1 with GILDR group Director of operations: she talked 80% of the allocated time.
    B) Group interview with the rest of the group: ballanced q&a intervals over lunch.
    C) 1:1 with the Medical Lead: short and sweet and personable.

Interview Questions
    Although initially there seemed to be some space for negotiation, it ended up being a one way street.

Quantitative Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta in September 2010.

Phone call came at the specified time. Several questions about the background, followed by questions like 'Do you follow the market? What's Dow today? What's Morganstanley's stock price today?"

After that, there were 4 math and finance questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's Morganstanley's stock price today?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta in May 2010.

just ask my background