University of Alberta

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

After finding a professor with a suitable field of research, you initiate contact and wait for a reply. Usually requires transcript. No interview.

Research Assistant - Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta.

I found the job posting through CAPS. I applied and an interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later. It was a formal interview in business clothing. The professor asked if I had relevant coursework in the lab's research area and if I knew how to use Pro E/Solidworks.

Interview Questions
    • I was shown a drawing of a piece of research equipment and asked to guess what its function was.   Answer Question
    There is usually a set budget for research assistants, if you want more money you'll need to apply for a grant (NSERC, Alberta Ingenuity, etc) or show that you have significant research work (publications help) outside of the classroom.

Lab Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Alberta in August 2012.

The questions include:
    Briefly introduce yourself? What makes you fit this position? How much do you know this position? Will you be able to work in the evenings and weekends? Will you like teamwork? Do you have any related working experience? Do you have any concern about this job? Which personality do you like and why?

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Alberta in May 2012.

I had a one-day interview. I did a presentation for about an hour in the morning. about 20 people attended the talk. Had lunch with the department head and dinner with some other faculty members. The overall interview experience was quite pleasant.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at University of Alberta in May 2011.

Applied through e-mail, got answer back very quickly, had a lengthy phone interview was offered the job on the spot

No negotiation

Research Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta in October 2010.

A) 1:1 with GILDR group Director of operations: she talked 80% of the allocated time.
    B) Group interview with the rest of the group: ballanced q&a intervals over lunch.
    C) 1:1 with the Medical Lead: short and sweet and personable.

Interview Questions
    Although initially there seemed to be some space for negotiation, it ended up being a one way street.

Quantitative Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta in September 2010.

Phone call came at the specified time. Several questions about the background, followed by questions like 'Do you follow the market? What's Dow today? What's Morganstanley's stock price today?"

After that, there were 4 math and finance questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's Morganstanley's stock price today?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta in May 2010.

just ask my background

Graduate Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Alberta in February 2010.

My current Research field, future goal, about current institution, cgpa. My supervisor wanted to hire me. so no problem occurred for me. My current Research field, future goal, about current institution, cgpa. My supervisor wanted to hire me. so no problem occurred for me.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Alberta in October 2009.

Be honest about expectations and abilities