University of Bath

University of Bath Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Bath.

Initially you have to fill a form that they have on their website. They have a very detailed description of the project and you have to answer specific questions as how your experience matches their requirements. You also have to provide your list of publications and contacts for references.

If invited to the interview you are invited to go to the campus and deliver a short presentation that follow some guidelines to explain your previous experience and the value that you would add to their department.

Then a panel of 3 professors would ask you questions. The first one will explain you the project and what is expected from the position holder. The second one would have specific technical questions, and the third one would have more general questions like in a regular company interview.

The visit concludes with a tour of the research facilities and they give you the answer within 2 or 3 weeks of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • On the interview I was under the impression that the project was going to be completely different to my previous ones, which was not a problem for me. But for some reason they were looking for somebody who had already done the same work previously.
      The unexpected question was if I new the differences about two brands of a specific equipment.

Answer Question

Part-time Lecturer In Translation Studies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of Bath in July 2010.

I was recommended for the post by the previous incumbent - email exchanges with my questions and an informal interview/tour of around 30 minutes, plus teaching a test class - no formal application through the University HR system, and the post was not externally advertised as far as I know

Interview Questions
    • Content of course/how much to cover, as I had no teaching experience at the time   View Answer
    Fixed rate of pay so no negotiation, quite low considering the time spent preparing and marking

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Bath in June 2010.

Job advertised on jobs.ac.uk. They have a full online application system. If you're short listed then you can go in for an interview, in my case there were maybe 3-5 of us. I was the only one in that day as they others were Skype interviewing from other continents. The interview consisted of a short talk on my own research followed by questions from two interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Quite open questions such as, "what makes a good simulator".   View Answer
    Pretty inflexible with start dates and pay, this is because of the way postdocs are funded externally.