University of British Columbia Interview Questions & Reviews

41 interviews

2.6

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in February 2013.

Panel interview followed by an hour long test.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in April 2012.

Applied for job off careers website. Shortlisted to be interviewed. Questions were fairly routine, mostly about job requirements. Completed an in-basket exercise to demonstrate proficiency with day-to-day tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between a raster file and a vector file.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - a union-negotiated salary was fixed.

Project Worker Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Contacted through university website, got an email saying they'd like to talk to me. Interview was one on one, with 2 of their employees. One was their lab manager at the time, the other one was working on a project at that lab. Had a quick conversation about how I like to get work done, how I organize everything, how am I with deadlines. Overall, very nice and fair interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question on calculating concentration of something, but units were not known to me, so I couldn't convert. But it wasn't a big deal to them, I just explained the logic and my understanding of the question.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Process included an initial interview with various members of the lab and a subsequent second interview with the PI and Lab Manager.
    The first interview was mainly focused on technical experience, while the second was more of a personality screening exercise.

Interview Questions
    • In the past, describe a time that you made a critical mistake and how do you deal with mistakes that you make at the workplace?   Answer Question
    There was not room to negotiate at the time as it was an entry level position that was grant funded.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2009.

I applied through co-op service in SFU. The process was smooth, even though I did not meet all the requirements. I got a reply within 2 weeks after I submitted my resume. Interview process was typical, the employer asked me what kind of lab courses I have taken and how much I know about the study that I will be working with. I asked him what made him interested in his own field, he answered happily and I felt that was how I caught his interest.

Interview Questions
    • The employer asked about the name of course instructors that I had during my undergraduate study.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in October 2013.

Initial communication was positive. The interview was a panel format, and it did not appear that the interviewers were very well prepared in terms of either describing the requirements of the position, nor having made anything more than a cursory review of my resume.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was what a comprehensive business plan might include.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in February 2012.

I was engaged with the supervisor during my previous study. And I established a strong connection with my supervisor. After my study, there is a need for me to continue working on a project because I had the most experiences and is more familiar with the project. Other than looking for someone else to work on the same project, my supervisor prefer to have me to continue working on it.

Database Design Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of British Columbia in January 2010.

Applied through university co-op program, interview arranged by the coordinator.
    Interviewer asked about listings in resume in detail, then certain questions about basic biology area, protein specifically. After that, some basic MySQL knowledge, how database is organized and how to access information from a database

Interview Questions
    • Knowledge about bio-informatics
      Knowledge about relational database design
        Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia in June 2011.

I applied online through the online forms and sent my CV, SOP, transcripts, three recommendation letters from my references and also standard language examination scores. I had phone interview once and got accepted. In the interview all the questions were technical and about the kind of research I was intended to carry out.

Ask for more funding.

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2011.

I applied online and got a phone call a couple weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview. In the end I had two interviews, both quite behavorial-based. Provided requested samples of my past work.

Panel of 3 people interviewing me both times. Very polite and professional.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were as I expected them to be, and totally appropriate for the job.   Answer Question
    The salary is pretty set, so you either accept it or you don't.

Worked for University of British Columbia? Contribute to the Community!