University of British Columbia

Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.7

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in February 2013.

Panel interview followed by an hour long test.

Finance Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in January 2014.

1 1/2 hour interview with 3 panel interviewer ask 5question each. Behavioural based questions. For example, describe the time when you have a conflict with your supervisor and how to resolve this conflict.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question was difficult. But there was a numerical reading test and basic counting knowledge question with in-house excel files   Answer Question
    non-negitiable

Residence Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of British Columbia.

The application opens in late December/ beginning of January, and interviews happen at the end of January- February, and acceptances early march. Interview consisted of groups of 10, we had a group interview which consisted of several stations. One station to build a puzzle as a team and an event planning station.

Interview Questions
    • Building a puzzle and being asked what you could have done better   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in September 2013.

I received an initial phone call screening followed with an immediate request for an interview,. After the initial interview, there was an approximate 10 day wait, then I received another phone call asking me to come in for a second interview with my potential boss. This wasn't so much of an interview as a fact finding mission for both of us to see if we would be compatible. The final phone call offering me the position arrived about 2 days after.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just be prepared, there were 2 people on the panel and they used a behavioral-based interview.   Answer Question
    Difficult negotiation phase as this is a Union position.

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2014.

Initially I applied for a different position within the University and was referred to this position as it would be a better fit for my experiences and skills. Was contacted by the manager and asked to come in for an informational interview (guessing that my previous 2 interviews with the other position was seen as a good initial screening). After the information interview, was contacted by email two days later to schedule a second interview with inbasket testing. The second interview felt very relaxed and the team members that interviewed me were very easy to talk to and I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • There were no exceptionally difficult questions here. I always have difficulty with the "tell me about yourself" question but I seemed to impress them with my answer.   View Answer
    I was expecting to have to negotiate my wage and vacation time but found that what I was offered was well above what I was hoping for through negotiating.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of British Columbia in April 2012.

Applied for job off careers website. Shortlisted to be interviewed. Questions were fairly routine, mostly about job requirements. Completed an in-basket exercise to demonstrate proficiency with day-to-day tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between a raster file and a vector file.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - a union-negotiated salary was fixed.

Project Worker Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of British Columbia.

Contacted through university website, got an email saying they'd like to talk to me. Interview was one on one, with 2 of their employees. One was their lab manager at the time, the other one was working on a project at that lab. Had a quick conversation about how I like to get work done, how I organize everything, how am I with deadlines. Overall, very nice and fair interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was a question on calculating concentration of something, but units were not known to me, so I couldn't convert. But it wasn't a big deal to them, I just explained the logic and my understanding of the question.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Process included an initial interview with various members of the lab and a subsequent second interview with the PI and Lab Manager.
    The first interview was mainly focused on technical experience, while the second was more of a personality screening exercise.

Interview Questions
    • In the past, describe a time that you made a critical mistake and how do you deal with mistakes that you make at the workplace?   Answer Question
    There was not room to negotiate at the time as it was an entry level position that was grant funded.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2009.

I applied through co-op service in SFU. The process was smooth, even though I did not meet all the requirements. I got a reply within 2 weeks after I submitted my resume. Interview process was typical, the employer asked me what kind of lab courses I have taken and how much I know about the study that I will be working with. I asked him what made him interested in his own field, he answered happily and I felt that was how I caught his interest.

Interview Questions
    • The employer asked about the name of course instructors that I had during my undergraduate study.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of British Columbia in October 2013.

Initial communication was positive. The interview was a panel format, and it did not appear that the interviewers were very well prepared in terms of either describing the requirements of the position, nor having made anything more than a cursory review of my resume.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was what a comprehensive business plan might include.   Answer Question