University of British Columbia

40 candidate interviews

Career Educator Interview

Career Educator

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – Networking helped me learn more about a short term, temporary, opportunity.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Consisted of a one-on-one interview with the professor for around 30 minutes. Asked about relevant experience and expectations of the job.

Interview Question – Please go over all your research experience.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – Most positions at the University of British Columbia are union positions and, as such, priority is given to individuals who already work at UBC. Once they have gone through any internal applications, they will start considering external applicants. They will do an in person interview, usually with a small panel of interviewers from the department that posted the job ad.

Interview Question – What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Senior Invigilator Interview

Senior Invigilator

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – there is no interview or standardized hiring process. The coordinator makes a judgement, sometimes in consultation with other senior invigilators, as to who should be promoted from the regular invigilator staff. There are no criteria specified. Invigilators are not asked. There are no performance reviews. It is a very haphazard situation.

Interview Question – There were no questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – THere was none. You either accepted the conditions or you did not.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Submitted my CV to the group manager, received an email to schedule a telephone interview (I was in another country), 20 mins of telephone interview with two profs, some technical and some HR based question. Received an offer after about a week.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

Interview Details – a lot of questions about everything ranging from how the internet works to what you should do when your boss asks for something impossible

Interview Question – How the internet works   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Applied for the job and submitted a CV, but the whole process was based on the recommendation of a prof. This happened in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. The rate is fixed.

Research Technician Interview

Research Technician

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – professional, good structure, offer to provide information about experience, skills and qualifications, department representation and human resources, questions about work related pressures and on the job performance, future plans and goals, former employer, experience

Interview Question – Knowledge testing   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – For graduate students, there is generally no interview. Students are automatically considered as candidates for teaching assistant. It is the situation in CS department, but may not suitable for other departments. And you will found the department keep recruiting part-time teaching assistants, and some students even get both research assistant and teaching assistant.

Interview Question – because there is no interview, so no questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at University of British Columbia in January 2008.

Interview Details – My frd was quiting her job when she referred me to the manager. So at that time they urgently need someone to fill up the position. Therefore the manager didn't ask me many questions except for asking bout my food service experience (I had 6 month food service exp in a Jap restaurant back then), and asked my status in Canada (I'm an international student). He's really nice person and helped me with my part-time work permit application as well. My suggestion is that to get insider referring u and do not drop the resume during lunch time.

Interview Question – Do you have a valid work permit or do you know about the process to apply for it   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of British Columbia

Worked for University of British Columbia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of British Columbia interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by University of British Columbia employees and interview candidates.