University of British Columbia Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.7

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

This was for a summer research assistantship at a laboratory. There were two interviewers (research associate and research coordinator) who conducted the interview. I was a full-time student at the time, and they asked general interview questions related to my research experience, school and community involvement, and academic life. The hiring managers called my references by phone after the interview. It took them quite awhile to make a decision - about three weeks.

Peer Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Kelowna, BC (Canada)) in May 2011.

Interview

After applied, I recieved an email to have a face to face interview. As I was out of the country they accomodated a Skype interview. Questions were pretty straight forward, behavioral and non technical. Super relaxed.

Residence Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview

The application opens in late December/ beginning of January, and interviews happen at the end of January- February, and acceptances early march. Interview consisted of groups of 10, we had a group interview which consisted of several stations. One station to build a puzzle as a team and an event planning station.

Interview Questions

• Building a puzzle and being asked what you could have done better   Answer Question

Finance Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in January 2014.

Interview

1 1/2 hour interview with 3 panel interviewer ask 5question each. Behavioural based questions. For example, describe the time when you have a conflict with your supervisor and how to resolve this conflict.

Interview Questions

• No specific question was difficult. But there was a numerical reading test and basic counting knowledge question with in-house excel files   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negitiable

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2014.

Interview

Initially I applied for a different position within the University and was referred to this position as it would be a better fit for my experiences and skills. Was contacted by the manager and asked to come in for an informational interview (guessing that my previous 2 interviews with the other position was seen as a good initial screening). After the information interview, was contacted by email two days later to schedule a second interview with inbasket testing. The second interview felt very relaxed and the team members that interviewed me were very easy to talk to and I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• There were no exceptionally difficult questions here. I always have difficulty with the "tell me about yourself" question but I seemed to impress them with my answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was expecting to have to negotiate my wage and vacation time but found that what I was offered was well above what I was hoping for through negotiating.

Work Learn Student Interview

Interview

I applied through Career Services for quite a few work learn positions before summer hit. Positions I applied for did not have any phone screening process (all positions within IT). 2 of them were simple 1-on-1 interviews with the direct supervisor. One of them had two interviews, with the first being for fit and the second being a deeper dive into your experience. All interviews were around 20-30 mins in length.

I was surprised that all three interviews were not at all structured as a typical corporate interview. It was an incredibly open-ended. There were of course the general questions at the beginning but it always led to them asking you to select something from your resume and doing a deeper dive into why you did it, what you got out of it, what you contributed and why it's relevant; be prepared for that.

Interview Questions

• No questions were particularly difficult, most questions were quite easy to answer as long as you have prepared meaningful points on the experiences you have listed on your resume.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

I received an initial phone call screening followed with an immediate request for an interview,. After the initial interview, there was an approximate 10 day wait, then I received another phone call asking me to come in for a second interview with my potential boss. This wasn't so much of an interview as a fact finding mission for both of us to see if we would be compatible. The final phone call offering me the position arrived about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just be prepared, there were 2 people on the panel and they used a behavioral-based interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Difficult negotiation phase as this is a Union position.

Interview

professional, good structure, offer to provide information about experience, skills and qualifications, department representation and human resources, questions about work related pressures and on the job performance, future plans and goals, former employer, experience

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

work as a student assistant, then become a part-time worker, then become a full time worker.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

During the hiring process, I first applied to the position through the UBC career website. About a week later I heard from my now supervisor inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview was friendly and my supervisor is very nice, knowledgable and punctual. The interview included a description of the project I would be working on, and invited me to explain how I saw a fit. Only a few hours later my supervisor informed me that I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• I don't know if I could say there was a difficult question. I am very qualified for the position so all the questions flowed quite well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as it is a union position and the wage is determined by the job type