University of British Columbia

40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Apply online. Wait for an email from administration.

Interview Question – Your grades.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Courses are assigned by administration. Pay is based on the union-negotiated rate.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Applied for the job and submitted a CV, but the whole process was based on the recommendation of a prof. This happened in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. The rate is fixed.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2009.

Interview Details – I applied through co-op service in SFU. The process was smooth, even though I did not meet all the requirements. I got a reply within 2 weeks after I submitted my resume. Interview process was typical, the employer asked me what kind of lab courses I have taken and how much I know about the study that I will be working with. I asked him what made him interested in his own field, he answered happily and I felt that was how I caught his interest.

Interview Question – The employer asked about the name of course instructors that I had during my undergraduate study.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Research Technician Interview

Research Technician
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Process included an initial interview with various members of the lab and a subsequent second interview with the PI and Lab Manager.
The first interview was mainly focused on technical experience, while the second was more of a personality screening exercise.

Interview Question – In the past, describe a time that you made a critical mistake and how do you deal with mistakes that you make at the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not room to negotiate at the time as it was an entry level position that was grant funded.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – a lot of questions about everything ranging from how the internet works to what you should do when your boss asks for something impossible

Interview Question – How the internet works   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview Details – Submitted my CV to the group manager, received an email to schedule a telephone interview (I was in another country), 20 mins of telephone interview with two profs, some technical and some HR based question. Received an offer after about a week.

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for job off careers website. Shortlisted to be interviewed. Questions were fairly routine, mostly about job requirements. Completed an in-basket exercise to demonstrate proficiency with day-to-day tasks.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between a raster file and a vector file.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - a union-negotiated salary was fixed.

Advisor Interview

Advisor
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in February 2013.

Interview Details – Panel interview followed by an hour long test.

Interview Question – Are you overqualified for this position?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed over Skype while at my previous position. Interview consisted of a 20min presentation and the rest was fine. Hired from that, without setting up an in-person meeting, which was possibly not a good idea as I should have had the chance to see the place in the flesh.

Interview Question – Outside of work, what interested do you have?
Yes really, the only question I stumbled on as I wasn't prepared!
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Got everything I asked for. Pretty straight forward.

Senior Invigilator Interview

Senior Invigilator

Interviewed at University of British Columbia

Interview Details – there is no interview or standardized hiring process. The coordinator makes a judgement, sometimes in consultation with other senior invigilators, as to who should be promoted from the regular invigilator staff. There are no criteria specified. Invigilators are not asked. There are no performance reviews. It is a very haphazard situation.

Interview Question – There were no questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – THere was none. You either accepted the conditions or you did not.

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of British Columbia