University of British Columbia Interview Questions in Vancouver, BC

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.7

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Went in once with a panel of interviewers. Asked a series of question about my myself, skills, and experience. Lasted for about 30 minutes. One upper management and 2 managers.

Course Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called to go to a live interview at Robson square campus. I was interviewed by two persons in charge of the multimedia department. They asked me different questions about my previous experience, skills and what solutions would I propose on different troubleshooting situations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

work as a student assistant, then become a part-time worker, then become a full time worker.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

During the hiring process, I first applied to the position through the UBC career website. About a week later I heard from my now supervisor inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview was friendly and my supervisor is very nice, knowledgable and punctual. The interview included a description of the project I would be working on, and invited me to explain how I saw a fit. Only a few hours later my supervisor informed me that I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• I don't know if I could say there was a difficult question. I am very qualified for the position so all the questions flowed quite well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as it is a union position and the wage is determined by the job type

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied for the job and submitted a CV, but the whole process was based on the recommendation of a prof. This happened in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. The rate is fixed.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Process included an initial interview with various members of the lab and a subsequent second interview with the PI and Lab Manager.
    The first interview was mainly focused on technical experience, while the second was more of a personality screening exercise.

Interview Questions

• In the past, describe a time that you made a critical mistake and how do you deal with mistakes that you make at the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not room to negotiate at the time as it was an entry level position that was grant funded.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

Initial communication was positive. The interview was a panel format, and it did not appear that the interviewers were very well prepared in terms of either describing the requirements of the position, nor having made anything more than a cursory review of my resume.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was what a comprehensive business plan might include.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

I received an initial phone call screening followed with an immediate request for an interview,. After the initial interview, there was an approximate 10 day wait, then I received another phone call asking me to come in for a second interview with my potential boss. This wasn't so much of an interview as a fact finding mission for both of us to see if we would be compatible. The final phone call offering me the position arrived about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just be prepared, there were 2 people on the panel and they used a behavioral-based interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Difficult negotiation phase as this is a Union position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

This was for a summer research assistantship at a laboratory. There were two interviewers (research associate and research coordinator) who conducted the interview. I was a full-time student at the time, and they asked general interview questions related to my research experience, school and community involvement, and academic life. The hiring managers called my references by phone after the interview. It took them quite awhile to make a decision - about three weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Interview

Most positions at the University of British Columbia are union positions and, as such, priority is given to individuals who already work at UBC. Once they have gone through any internal applications, they will start considering external applicants. They will do an in person interview, usually with a small panel of interviewers from the department that posted the job ad.