University of British Columbia Interview Questions & Reviews in Vancouver, BC Canada

Updated Jun 10, 2014
Updated Jun 10, 2014
24 interviews

2.6

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in September 2013.

I received an initial phone call screening followed with an immediate request for an interview,. After the initial interview, there was an approximate 10 day wait, then I received another phone call asking me to come in for a second interview with my potential boss. This wasn't so much of an interview as a fact finding mission for both of us to see if we would be compatible. The final phone call offering me the position arrived about 2 days after.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just be prepared, there were 2 people on the panel and they used a behavioral-based interview.   Answer Question
    Difficult negotiation phase as this is a Union position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

work as a student assistant, then become a part-time worker, then become a full time worker.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in November 2013.

During the hiring process, I first applied to the position through the UBC career website. About a week later I heard from my now supervisor inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview was friendly and my supervisor is very nice, knowledgable and punctual. The interview included a description of the project I would be working on, and invited me to explain how I saw a fit. Only a few hours later my supervisor informed me that I had an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I don't know if I could say there was a difficult question. I am very qualified for the position so all the questions flowed quite well.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as it is a union position and the wage is determined by the job type

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in November 2010.

I knew someone who worked there already. Interview was with a senior research coordinator with lots of years of experience, and then with the PI. was informed of their decision within a week

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in February 2012.

I was engaged with the supervisor during my previous study. And I established a strong connection with my supervisor. After my study, there is a need for me to continue working on a project because I had the most experiences and is more familiar with the project. Other than looking for someone else to work on the same project, my supervisor prefer to have me to continue working on it.

Database Design Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at University of British Columbia in January 2010.

Applied through university co-op program, interview arranged by the coordinator.
    Interviewer asked about listings in resume in detail, then certain questions about basic biology area, protein specifically. After that, some basic MySQL knowledge, how database is organized and how to access information from a database

Interview Questions
    • Knowledge about bio-informatics
      Knowledge about relational database design
        Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at University of British Columbia in October 2013.

Initial communication was positive. The interview was a panel format, and it did not appear that the interviewers were very well prepared in terms of either describing the requirements of the position, nor having made anything more than a cursory review of my resume.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was what a comprehensive business plan might include.   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Applied for the job and submitted a CV, but the whole process was based on the recommendation of a prof. This happened in the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

Did not negotiate. The rate is fixed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of British Columbia in August 2009.

I applied through co-op service in SFU. The process was smooth, even though I did not meet all the requirements. I got a reply within 2 weeks after I submitted my resume. Interview process was typical, the employer asked me what kind of lab courses I have taken and how much I know about the study that I will be working with. I asked him what made him interested in his own field, he answered happily and I felt that was how I caught his interest.

Interview Questions
    • The employer asked about the name of course instructors that I had during my undergraduate study.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I interviewed online - interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Process included an initial interview with various members of the lab and a subsequent second interview with the PI and Lab Manager.
    The first interview was mainly focused on technical experience, while the second was more of a personality screening exercise.

Interview Questions
    • In the past, describe a time that you made a critical mistake and how do you deal with mistakes that you make at the workplace?   Answer Question
    There was not room to negotiate at the time as it was an entry level position that was grant funded.

Worked for University of British Columbia? Contribute to the Community!