University of Calgary Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

2.9

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary in June 2014.

I had an informal "discussion" with a senior member of management to see if the role was a potential match and then had a formal interview with several members of the department. The interview questions were a bit "canned" and there wasn't a lot of opportunity for me to ask questions. A bit too structured for my likes.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult questions -- all pretty standard   Answer Question
    Open and communicative process

Standardized Paitent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at University of Calgary in September 2012.

The interview was casual, and long. It's basically just a long, very informal assessment of your personality and experience. Since it's an acting job and the manager there is an actor there is not a lot expected in terms of preparation or dress code. He is a really entertaining guy and besides a need to assess he seems to have a genuine interest in getting to know the people he will be working with. The work can be a little awkward and/or stressful at times and a good sense of humor with a professional attitude are important. Be prepared to be there for about 2 hours. Go to the bathroom ahead of time, don't have any imminent appointments.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult, lots that was unexpected since we just chatted without a particular topic after the first ten minutes. I suppose the most unexpected was "do you do any impressions?"   View Answer
    There isn't really any negotiation. There is a set rate, which is quite generous to make up for how difficult it is to get many hours.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary in June 2014.

Applied online, process took around 4 weeks after the position was closed. Got a call to schedule for an interview. There were 3 interviewers: HR Advisor, Department Officer, Department Team Lead - all took turns asking questions and took down notes.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your workload when all jobs are considered high priority?   Answer Question

Research Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary.

As I was from another province, initially interviewed by two individuals-director and chair who would be my direct manager, first did a conference call then Skyped. It was amazing. The atmosphere was nice and friendly. Talked about the position and key elements they are wanting in an individual and what my experience would bring. Wanted to know about multi-tasking and if you have exp. using people-soft. Asked for three references and called references. True to their word. Said they were doing interviews for the whole week and you would find out by the end of the week or the beginning of the next week for their selection process. They called on Friday and I accepted the position. Amazing opportunity. I am so looking forward to working here!!

Interview Questions
    I'm horrible at negotiations. I would love to learn from an expert.

Operations II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary in June 2011.

Submitted my resume online, and it was discarded by the hiring manager. Luckily, I had a contact within the school who called her and asked for it to be reviewed. Interviewed the hiring manager 1:1 and got the job. It is difficult to get in the door at the University, so having an internal referral, and being willing to accept a temporary position until a permanent one comes available will increase the likelihood of you getting a job and staying there long-term.

Interview Questions
    Little to no negotiation room.

Associate Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary.

Very effecient at getting back to me and being flexible to arranging the next stage after my resume review. Whole process made me feel at ease and confident.

Interview Questions
    • Projecting how I would manage a staff with whom I was not familiar with or their habits.   Answer Question
    Quite short, but not threatening.

Student Recruitment Officer Interview

Be prepared to do an interview, it is one of the most important elements of selection. Lots of questions about the University and the student experience, be prepared to answer them.

Interview Questions
    • Some situational examples were required which can be difficult if you are applying as a new grad. Be sure to come prepared with some in your back pocket.   Answer Question
    Little to no room to negotiate with new grads

Systems Analyst Interview

get called after two weeks and then face to face interview

PASS Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at University of Calgary in December 2011.

most of the questions were from ur resume or CV. Some behavior type questions like " Do u ever have done some challenging somethings ? what was it ? how do u solve the problem?" and ask u to image ur working day. One quesion is "This is a new program, how can u persuade others to attend?"

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Calgary in October 2009.

It is made directly with the supervisor and it depends on the person itself, I didn't have any interviews with the HR department. It is important to be clear with the supervisor that additional grants, awards, etc that you earn will be only for you, some supervisors, take that and put it into the lab or project "pot" and then you end up with just the base salary which is very low

It is made directly with the supervisor and it depends on the person itself, I didn't have any interviews with the HR department. You can negotiate that you can look and write grants to top up the base salary (~$21, 000 CAN per year). Calgary is a very expensive city, the cost of living is quite high and the base salary is not enough

Worked for University of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!