University of Calgary

Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.8

Student Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at University of Calgary in September 2014.

Emailed, telling you were gonna be called to do a phone interview. Interview was extremely easy. Only lasted about 20 minutes tops, and most questions were straightforward, like what would you do if you were scheduled for a shift and had an essay due the next day? Overall it was easy, and I feel that they pretty much hire anyone that applies as it is an extremely hard job to do.

Interview Questions
    • How would you stay positive when calling people and getting yelled at?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Calgary in June 2014.

Applied online, process took around 4 weeks after the position was closed. Got a call to schedule for an interview. There were 3 interviewers: HR Advisor, Department Officer, Department Team Lead - all took turns asking questions and took down notes.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your workload when all jobs are considered high priority?   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Calgary in June 2014.

I had an informal "discussion" with a senior member of management to see if the role was a potential match and then had a formal interview with several members of the department. The interview questions were a bit "canned" and there wasn't a lot of opportunity for me to ask questions. A bit too structured for my likes.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult questions -- all pretty standard   Answer Question
    Open and communicative process

Research Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Calgary.

As I was from another province, initially interviewed by two individuals-director and chair who would be my direct manager, first did a conference call then Skyped. It was amazing. The atmosphere was nice and friendly. Talked about the position and key elements they are wanting in an individual and what my experience would bring. Wanted to know about multi-tasking and if you have exp. using people-soft. Asked for three references and called references. True to their word. Said they were doing interviews for the whole week and you would find out by the end of the week or the beginning of the next week for their selection process. They called on Friday and I accepted the position. Amazing opportunity. I am so looking forward to working here!!

Interview Questions
    I'm horrible at negotiations. I would love to learn from an expert.

Associate Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Calgary.

Very effecient at getting back to me and being flexible to arranging the next stage after my resume review. Whole process made me feel at ease and confident.

Interview Questions
    • Projecting how I would manage a staff with whom I was not familiar with or their habits.   Answer Question
    Quite short, but not threatening.

Student Recruitment Officer Interview

Be prepared to do an interview, it is one of the most important elements of selection. Lots of questions about the University and the student experience, be prepared to answer them.

Interview Questions
    • Some situational examples were required which can be difficult if you are applying as a new grad. Be sure to come prepared with some in your back pocket.   Answer Question
    Little to no room to negotiate with new grads

Systems Analyst Interview

get called after two weeks and then face to face interview

Research Student Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of Calgary.

Hired based on principle investigator (PI)'s decision. To get hired, email a professor with research in the field of your interest. Be prepared for rejection because summer studentships can be competitive. Some profs may choose not to take any students at all. There was no real interview process for myself but can depend on the professor.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of Calgary.

Personal interview.

Fixed offer. No negotiations. In the end many promises were not fulfilled. Not sure if I would join again. Industry research can be much more advanced these days. Unbelievable with what one has to deal that is so much different from the job description.

Career Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at University of Calgary.

Informative, and inquiring interview. Full overview of position provided, clear picture of the working environment and expectations, development abilities, working culture and services provided by the group.

Clear outline of the culture and how personality would be matched to the group. outline of strategy, future projects and growth of the services and group.

Interview Questions
    • Describe when you had to approach a difficult conversation with diplomacy.   Answer Question