University of Calgary

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, process took around 4 weeks after the position was closed. Got a call to schedule for an interview. There were 3 interviewers: HR Advisor, Department Officer, Department Team Lead - all took turns asking questions and took down notes.

Interview Question – How do you prioritize your workload when all jobs are considered high priority?   Answer Question

Research Administrator Interview

Research Administrator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary.

Interview Details – As I was from another province, initially interviewed by two individuals-director and chair who would be my direct manager, first did a conference call then Skyped. It was amazing. The atmosphere was nice and friendly. Talked about the position and key elements they are wanting in an individual and what my experience would bring. Wanted to know about multi-tasking and if you have exp. using people-soft. Asked for three references and called references. True to their word. Said they were doing interviews for the whole week and you would find out by the end of the week or the beginning of the next week for their selection process. They called on Friday and I accepted the position. Amazing opportunity. I am so looking forward to working here!!

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I'm horrible at negotiations. I would love to learn from an expert.

Operations II Interview

Operations II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary in June 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online, and it was discarded by the hiring manager. Luckily, I had a contact within the school who called her and asked for it to be reviewed. Interviewed the hiring manager 1:1 and got the job. It is difficult to get in the door at the University, so having an internal referral, and being willing to accept a temporary position until a permanent one comes available will increase the likelihood of you getting a job and staying there long-term.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to no negotiation room.

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at University of Calgary.

Interview Details – Very effecient at getting back to me and being flexible to arranging the next stage after my resume review. Whole process made me feel at ease and confident.

Interview Question – Projecting how I would manage a staff with whom I was not familiar with or their habits.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quite short, but not threatening.

Student Recruitment Officer Interview

Student Recruitment Officer

Interviewed at University of Calgary

Interview Details – Be prepared to do an interview, it is one of the most important elements of selection. Lots of questions about the University and the student experience, be prepared to answer them.

Interview Question – Some situational examples were required which can be difficult if you are applying as a new grad. Be sure to come prepared with some in your back pocket.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to no room to negotiate with new grads

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst

Interviewed at University of Calgary

Interview Details – get called after two weeks and then face to face interview

Interview Question – very specific questions   Answer Question

PASS Leader Interview

PASS Leader
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at University of Calgary in December 2011.

Interview Details – most of the questions were from ur resume or CV. Some behavior type questions like " Do u ever have done some challenging somethings ? what was it ? how do u solve the problem?" and ask u to image ur working day. One quesion is "This is a new program, how can u persuade others to attend?"

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at University of Calgary in October 2009.

Interview Details – It is made directly with the supervisor and it depends on the person itself, I didn't have any interviews with the HR department. It is important to be clear with the supervisor that additional grants, awards, etc that you earn will be only for you, some supervisors, take that and put it into the lab or project "pot" and then you end up with just the base salary which is very low

Negotiation Details – It is made directly with the supervisor and it depends on the person itself, I didn't have any interviews with the HR department. You can negotiate that you can look and write grants to top up the base salary (~$21, 000 CAN per year). Calgary is a very expensive city, the cost of living is quite high and the base salary is not enough

Research Student Interview

Research Student

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of Calgary.

Interview Details – Hired based on principle investigator (PI)'s decision. To get hired, email a professor with research in the field of your interest. Be prepared for rejection because summer studentships can be competitive. Some profs may choose not to take any students at all. There was no real interview process for myself but can depend on the professor.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at University of Calgary.

Interview Details – Personal interview.

Negotiation Details – Fixed offer. No negotiations. In the end many promises were not fulfilled. Not sure if I would join again. Industry research can be much more advanced these days. Unbelievable with what one has to deal that is so much different from the job description.

Worked for University of Calgary? Contribute to the Community!