University of California Berkeley Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions

Updated May 28, 2014
Updated May 28, 2014

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

once you get admitted to phD program, then you go talk to professors and find phD project that interests you most. After that, you go to the payroll office to finish the paper work.

Interview Questions
  • you has to get very high GPA from prestigious undergrad programs, some research/job experience is a plus   Answer Question
it's a phD program, there's no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2012.

Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question
    "we hope you can join us"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2012.

I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2011.

Grad school application due around Nov and Dec for the fall term in next year. Got interviewed by profs around Feb. Admission was offered in Mar.

Interview Questions
    • What is the typical voltage applied on a state-of-the-art field effect transistor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2008.

Met with a professor to discuss whether or not I would be a good fit to join the group.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Highly competitive application process, requirements posted on website include current CV, personal statement, research experience, and three recommendation letters. They pay for travel expenses if selected for interviews, which consist of 6-8 meetings with principal investigators in the department.