University of California Berkeley Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Dependent on department. Application process was rigorous for bioengineering. Need research experience in undergrad or some time of summer research experience. Any prior publications are looked upon favorably. Rec letters are also very important, with research letters having higher weight than letters from a prof you just took a class with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

once you get admitted to phD program, then you go talk to professors and find phD project that interests you most. After that, you go to the payroll office to finish the paper work.

Interview Questions

• you has to get very high GPA from prestigious undergrad programs, some research/job experience is a plus   Answer Question

Negotiation

it's a phD program, there's no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question

Negotiation

"we hope you can join us"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2011.

Interview

Grad school application due around Nov and Dec for the fall term in next year. Got interviewed by profs around Feb. Admission was offered in Mar.

Interview Questions

• What is the typical voltage applied on a state-of-the-art field effect transistor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Met with a professor to discuss whether or not I would be a good fit to join the group.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

Highly competitive application process, requirements posted on website include current CV, personal statement, research experience, and three recommendation letters. They pay for travel expenses if selected for interviews, which consist of 6-8 meetings with principal investigators in the department.