University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.5

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Got invited for an interview after an informal inquiry for a position. The administrative assistant arrange travels and accommodation. She received me on the they of the interview and confirmend the interview procedure. I gave a presentation on previous work and proposed project / Q&A. Panel interview with 3 group members, followed by 1-1 with PI, followed by lab tour.

Graduate Student (Chemistry) Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Apply to grad school, if you get in, then they pay for you to visit. Unlike MCB programs, Chemistry just accepts you. I believe that the essays are important but I would say your letters of recommendation may be more important. Also, a strong previous research experience is important. Overall, the application was a bit more difficult than other programs (ex: Columbia or Penn) but less annoying than MIT.

Interview Questions

• 3 essays. Current statement, a previous research statement and a diversity statement. The diversity statement is different than other graduate schools.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Smooth interview process, all communication was efficient and professional from the moment i applied online. Overall the interview process was not stressful and the job position was explained thoroughly. The panel interview was good as well, showed the office/work environment and all questions were answered. the whole process took about two weeks, and was a smooth process.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was later notified of my acceptance to the program. I had spoken at length with the department and professors, and so had already established a professional relationship with them. They did not interview me.

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Career Services Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Online application Phone interview - 30 minutes with committee panel In person interview - committee panel + 10 minute oral presentation + management interview with management staff + lunch with hiring managers + meet & greet with staff

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Had to email professors repeatedly, got a few meetings, they were pretty casual, mainly questions about relevant work experience. Sometimes they ask for references. Works differently for different departments. Need to go prepared to convince them why you are fit for the role. Some departments just have a GSI co-ordinator who handles the whole thing, others require you to talk to professor to assess whether its a good fit.

Campus Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

There is a paper/essay application, an audition (you're auditioning with maybe 40 other potential hires), and a final interview. The audition is mainly to see if you can speak to a crowd. There is a time for you to introduce yourself individually, a role-play with another interviewee, and a group task.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work during the summer?   1 Answer

Desktop Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Submitted my resume and cover letter online. After a week or two, received an offer to come in and interview. Group of interviewers. Asked me about my past experience. Asked about technical skills, asking if I had experience with various technologies. A few basic technical questions. Majority of the interview was dealing with behavioral (hypothetical situations).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an IP address and a MAC address?   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I interviewed through Skype with a postdoc and the professor of the lab. I was offered the job a few days later. Mostly, we talked about what kind of research I had done in my masters and some details about what the position I was applying for entailed. They asked a few standardized questions, but I got the feeling that they were looking for a general rapport with me as an assistant in their research goals.

Interview Questions

• How will this job further your career goals?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with management of fieldwork?   1 Answer
    • Describe your educational background and familiarity with relevant computer programs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the salary. They let me know what the salary was going to be and I agreed that that was fine.