University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.5

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Applied online through Cal website, phone screen and then a couple of in person meetings. Took 2 months. Applied online through Cal website, phone screen and then a couple of in person meetings. Took 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Standard stuff - experience, pubs   1 Answer

Negotiation

Low balled on salary

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I answered several questions regarding my past experience and why I deserved the position. I also provided scenarios based answers to issues that may or may not show up were I to be accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you deserve this position   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Got invited for an interview after an informal inquiry for a position. The administrative assistant arrange travels and accommodation. She received me on the they of the interview and confirmend the interview procedure. I gave a presentation on previous work and proposed project / Q&A. Panel interview with 3 group members, followed by 1-1 with PI, followed by lab tour.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Apply to grad school, if you get in, then they pay for you to visit. Unlike MCB programs, Chemistry just accepts you. I believe that the essays are important but I would say your letters of recommendation may be more important. Also, a strong previous research experience is important. Overall, the application was a bit more difficult than other programs (ex: Columbia or Penn) but less annoying than MIT.

Interview Questions

• 3 essays. Current statement, a previous research statement and a diversity statement. The diversity statement is different than other graduate schools.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was taken for a tour of the lab and told which areas of the room I would be working with, mostly preparing specimens (usually in skeletal form), lab maintenance, and basic data entry work. I was asked about my student status and my current plans for the future (i.e. job, graduate school) and asked when I would be available to start.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Smooth interview process, all communication was efficient and professional from the moment i applied online. Overall the interview process was not stressful and the job position was explained thoroughly. The panel interview was good as well, showed the office/work environment and all questions were answered. the whole process took about two weeks, and was a smooth process.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was later notified of my acceptance to the program. I had spoken at length with the department and professors, and so had already established a professional relationship with them. They did not interview me.

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Online application Phone interview - 30 minutes with committee panel In person interview - committee panel + 10 minute oral presentation + management interview with management staff + lunch with hiring managers + meet & greet with staff

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Had to email professors repeatedly, got a few meetings, they were pretty casual, mainly questions about relevant work experience. Sometimes they ask for references. Works differently for different departments. Need to go prepared to convince them why you are fit for the role. Some departments just have a GSI co-ordinator who handles the whole thing, others require you to talk to professor to assess whether its a good fit.