University of California Berkeley

114 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Employee Interview

Postdoctoral Employee

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – After contacting directly with PI, I was asked several questions about the research projects in the previous institute (through email). About ~2 weeks after interview, I was invited to a seminar with a small group. An offer was given after the seminar.

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation.

Contracts Administrator Interview

Contracts Administrator

I applied online and interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Applied to their second round of job posting. Was contacted one week later by phone. This was a screening interview with a recruiter. He then set up a phone interview with the director of the department. She asked about my background and described the position. She then asked me to come in for a panel interview and case study. The case study was 30 minutes and tested my knowledge and background of the contractual issues. This was followed by a four person panel interview with employees of the other contract departments and the Chief of Staff. They had a long list of typical interview questions and took turns asking them. The panel interview lasted about 45 minutes. Immediately after the interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to set up another interview with director. I believe they chose two candidates from the panel to meet with the director who would make the ultimate hiring decision. This interview took place two days later. I expected the interview to be more of a meeting with the director to see if she liked me and would want to work with me since the last interviews vetted my background and consisted of typical interview questions. However, this interview was much like the panel interview and the hiring director asked around 20 interview questions with follow-up questions regarding my responses. It was a lot more difficult than I expected. She then took me to meet the rest of her department.

Overall the experience was positive and the recruiting contact was very nice. He followed-up with me after every interview to ask how it went.

Interview Question – All questions were very typical interview questions, but due to the large amount of them it was difficult to think of a different answer for each one.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Question – What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question

Student Library Employee Interview

Student Library Employee
Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2012.

Interview Details – There is a single interview with the supervising staff of the library. This employee is straightforward and has to do with past experiences in customer service. Some work study is often required to be eligible for the position.

Interview Question – Have you ever had experience saying 'No' in a professional setting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase for this position, either one accepts or one does not.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2013.

Interview Details – They just asked me about hours, how familiar I was with the research (like classes I took that related). They asked about my workload and how much I was involved in campus because that could have conflicting time interests. It went alright. They also explained what I would be doing.

Interview Question – I didn't really feel like there was a ton, it was mostly the hours portion as I had class during that time.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher

I applied through college or university and interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview Details – once you get admitted to phD program, then you go talk to professors and find phD project that interests you most. After that, you go to the payroll office to finish the paper work.

Interview Question – you has to get very high GPA from prestigious undergrad programs, some research/job experience is a plus   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it's a phD program, there's no negotiation.

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant

Interview Details – Very pleasant experience, applied online, got call for interview one week later. Met with HR and got offer 1 week later. h. h. h .h. h . h . h. h . h. h . h . h . . h

Director of Human Resources Interview

Director of Human Resources

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was contated by headhunter via LinkedIn.
Resume Request with Cover Letter
Sent a detailed Questionaire with specific questions on HR expertise
Phone Interviews with two different HR stakeholders
Panel Interviews with several groups and Interview Day & received a Campus Tour
Final Phone interview with Hiring manager

Interview Question – Tell us 1 way that UC Berkeley can improve human resource services to its employees   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they came in at the top of "the range" so there usually is NOT much negotiation with State agencies or employers

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director

Interviewed at University of California Berkeley

Interview Details – Human Resources rep meets with department and hiring manager for an intake process meeting. Advertised on in house and various well known job sites, recruiter sourced his/her files of relevant candidates, a hiring committee screened for "yes, no, and maybe" candidates, then had panel interviews with 5 finalists, then chose 2 most likely to get hired hiring manager interviewed both and choose candidate.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult challenge and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Panelists' attitude.

Very Easy Interview

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very straight forward. Simply just asked me about questions regarding my past experience.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!