University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.5

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was later notified of my acceptance to the program. I had spoken at length with the department and professors, and so had already established a professional relationship with them. They did not interview me.

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Career Services Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Online application
    Phone interview - 30 minutes with committee panel
    In person interview - committee panel + 10 minute oral presentation + management interview with management staff + lunch with hiring managers + meet & greet with staff

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Had to email professors repeatedly, got a few meetings, they were pretty casual, mainly questions about relevant work experience. Sometimes they ask for references. Works differently for different departments. Need to go prepared to convince them why you are fit for the role. Some departments just have a GSI co-ordinator who handles the whole thing, others require you to talk to professor to assess whether its a good fit.

Campus Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

There is a paper/essay application, an audition (you're auditioning with maybe 40 other potential hires), and a final interview. The audition is mainly to see if you can speak to a crowd. There is a time for you to introduce yourself individually, a role-play with another interviewee, and a group task.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work during the summer?   1 Answer

Desktop Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Submitted my resume and cover letter online. After a week or two, received an offer to come in and interview. Group of interviewers. Asked me about my past experience. Asked about technical skills, asking if I had experience with various technologies. A few basic technical questions. Majority of the interview was dealing with behavioral (hypothetical situations).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an IP address and a MAC address?   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I interviewed through Skype with a postdoc and the professor of the lab. I was offered the job a few days later. Mostly, we talked about what kind of research I had done in my masters and some details about what the position I was applying for entailed. They asked a few standardized questions, but I got the feeling that they were looking for a general rapport with me as an assistant in their research goals.

Interview Questions

• How will this job further your career goals?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with management of fieldwork?   1 Answer
    • Describe your educational background and familiarity with relevant computer programs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the salary. They let me know what the salary was going to be and I agreed that that was fine.

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Work Study/Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I was a student and looking for a work-study job. I checked UC Berkeley's employment website and found the job. After mailing my resume, I got respond next day to set up an interview. The interview was held in one of their meeting rooms with two senior Liberians. They were intelligent and friendly.
    All interview questions were related to the particular job. No old school questions such as "what are your strength and weakness."

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I found the position through workstudy.berkeley.edu and sent my resume and cover letter online. I received a call back within a week, and was basically given a phone interview right then and there. After the interview, the office manager (who was conducting the interview) told me to come in the next day. One of the other employees showed me around, and before I knew it, I was sitting in the HR office filling out my paper work. I didn't even have an actual in-person interview. It was probably because it was just for a work study position, but it was the easiest interview I've ever had.