University of California Berkeley

Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Catering and Events Coordinator-Housing and Dining Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

The phone interview went well. After that, everything went down hill. I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. I wasn't aware that it would be a panel but, you have to be prepared for just about anything so that was fine. What I wasn't prepared for was what rude, lifeless, unengaging, less than hospitable people they were. The questions were broad and as an event planner, one always wants to drill down to the core of a detail--so when I tried to clarify the question, one of the women on the panel threw her hands up and proclaimed "perhaps I'm not making myself clear!" and shook her head. When I interviewed canditates at my last job, I went out of my way to make that person feel welcome so that I could bring out their best and hopelly get a good sense of them and their talents.. Nope! Just the opposite here. Part of me wanted to run for the hills as I knew I would never want to work with these people....ever. The professional in me knew I needed to finish the interview and then get the heck out of there. What a shame that they were the representatives of such a fine school!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were unengaging and read from a piece of paper   Answer Question

Career Services Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2013.

Applied online submitting cover letter/resume as one doc. Received an email request for phone interview (screening) to determine fit and interest. Spoke w/dept manager about the position; answered questions about qualifications. Scheduled panel a day later. Met w/asst dean and program coordinator. Offered the position w/in a few days.

Interview Questions
    • What techniques will you use to enhance business services?   View Answer
    Asked what my pay range was during first interview. Received a call with the initial offer post panel interview. A follow up email same day with title, salary, and proposed start date.

Communications Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I submitted resume and was asked to complete an at-home planning test and submit samples. Afterward, I was invited for interview but not given any details. As it turned out, the interview was a panel with five people asking questions. It lasted for one hour and the interviewers took notes after each answer. They used a standard question battery and went around the room asking questions. The panel was friendly but the format caught me by surprise.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly standard. Some were tailored to the position, others asked about weaknesses. One question was on the worst workplace mistake I had made and what I learned from it. There was some probing after my initial answer to some questions.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Extremely professional. Great questions that were very specific to the job--if you didn't have experience in what they were asking about, it would have been tough to answer. They also asked for work samples that had a time limit to them--again, if you haven't done work like that before, it would have been difficult to do well.

Interview Questions
    • "What did you do to prepare for this interview today?"   Answer Question

Development Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I received a call from the hiring manager inviting me to participate in the job interview. I was interviewed by a panel of managers within the departmental group. Everyone was very professional and polite. The process ran on time and lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
    Salary ranges are well defined in the University system.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in June 2010.

This job was primarily the result of networking. After many email exchanges, I met with the Director and Assistant Director of the program for an hour and a half before I was hired. We discussed pedagogical styles at length.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would motivate your students in an afternoon class.   View Answer
    • Tell us about your favorite activity to integrate all four subjects.   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2008.

Met with a professor to discuss whether or not I would be a good fit to join the group.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Applied through their portal. It took them couple of weeks to get in touch. The job, I would say, depends on the department you hired in and the project you get hired for. Interview is a round of technical review, followed by an HR. The technical interview follows a standard questionnaire format. Each question would need you to dig out an answer based on your experience. There a few direct technology related questions as well.

Development Technician V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2010.

Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Questions
    • Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   View Answer
    They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in April 2010.

I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.