University of California Berkeley Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2014
117 interviews

2.6

Lead Accountant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Phone interview was about a half hour long and the interviewer asked me to go over my resume that was submitted then asked if i had any questions of her. Thankfully i have my resume memorized so this wasn't an issue, but it did make me feel as though the interviewer did not review it prior to the phone call.

Interview Questions
    • I have experienced the "what are your weaknesses" questions before but never in a phone interview. This caught me by surprise.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Human Resources rep meets with department and hiring manager for an intake process meeting. Advertised on in house and various well known job sites, recruiter sourced his/her files of relevant candidates, a hiring committee screened for "yes, no, and maybe" candidates, then had panel interviews with 5 finalists, then chose 2 most likely to get hired hiring manager interviewed both and choose candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult challenge and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Panelists' attitude.

Postdoctoral Employee Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

After contacting directly with PI, I was asked several questions about the research projects in the previous institute (through email). About ~2 weeks after interview, I was invited to a seminar with a small group. An offer was given after the seminar.

Not much room for negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

I just need to submit the applications to the university. No interview at all. After consider my application, they give me an offer. Also, I have to submit some document like GRE, and GPA, etc.

Student Assistant Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Very pleasant experience, applied online, got call for interview one week later. Met with HR and got offer 1 week later. h. h. h .h. h . h . h. h . h. h . h . h . . h

Resident Assistant Interview

There are two rounds for the interview process. There are single interviews where you speak to RDs and current RAs, and then there are group interviews where RAs and RDs observe how you interact with other potential individuals for the position. It is not a matter of who talks the most, or who listens the most, it is completely arbitrary and up to the RD observing. One female RD that I observed alongside, was extremely sexist. Every male potential that interviewed received 0-1, whereas every female potential received 4-5 (out of 5). She solely stated that the males deserved such low scores because they were exercising their male authority. I was completely dumbfounded, but in my position I can't really talk back to the RD anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular, just be weary of body language, tone, courtesy, "airtime", and other nonverbal characteristics during the group interview.   View Answer
    No negotiations

Undergraduate Student Instructor Interview

Simple email correspondence with coordinator of GSIs

No negotiation

Student Affairs Coordinator Interview

Interview was fairly generic - behavioral.

1. Initial phone screening,
    2. One-on-one meeting
    3. panel interview

I was referred to the position by someone in my old department (also at Cal), so we didn't undergo the normal hiring process.

Overall, Cal's hiring is antiquated -> they are required to open up any full-time opportunities publicly and they need to be posted for a minimum of two weeks prior to review. Hiring is SLOW!

Interview Questions
    • They literally followed the behavioral interview template - I was prepared   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Assistant Interview

I was initially referred by a friend for the position and given an interview after forwarding a resume through him to the manager. I interviewed directly with the manager rather than a hiring manager, basically reviewing my available hours and qualifications for the position. It was not until I accepted a verbal offer that I was required to fill out any paperwork to apply to the position and work with HR.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Apply online and submit your resume and transcripts as well as TOEFL and GRE. No interview process. The application deadline is very early, and you must be aware of that. You'd better find some recommendation letters from a famous scientist or professors since that will be very helpful. There are number of fellowship opportunities in UCB.

Interview Questions

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!