University of California Berkeley

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

They had a opening posted on their website. I emailed them my resume in an email explaining why I am interested in the position. I got a interview. I met with the PI and the Post- doctorate student who I will be directly working with. They asked about my previous experience and explained what the position was.

Interview Questions
    • For me the hardest part was whether I can be there for the summer. I was applying for a part-time during the semester. They also asked me to not take a class and devote that time to the lab.   Answer Question

Recreational Student Facilities Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Submitted job application and resume. Contacted by manager within the same day and was asked to come for a group interview. The process was easy and straightforward, and was a good practice in interviewing for a student.

Management was unprofessional

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

The standard method of hiring for undergraduate research assistants at Berkeley is through their CalCareer Center portal. But I would suggest a better method would be to contact directly the professor at office hours. Once they establish there is room in the lab, I had an interview/walkthrough tour of the lab with my direct boss (the post-doctorate scholar in the lab) and then another interview after with the Professor whose research I would be working on.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you over the hundreds of other students who are better suited for this position?   Answer Question

AV/IT Engineer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in January 2012.

Very easy process. Based on need and qualifications of students. Very flexible and allows students to take time to study and also develop technical skills useful when looking for a full time job. Perfect work-study job.

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

interviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2014.

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions
    • When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I just need to submit the applications to the university. No interview at all. After consider my application, they give me an offer. Also, I have to submit some document like GRE, and GPA, etc.

Library Supervisor II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in March 2014.

Phone screening call followed by 4 hours of interviewing on campus with numerous members of search committee. Email notification sent in advance was very vague and general and did not prepare for what was actually expected. Initially met with a 4 member group, followed by meeting with approximately 10 staff/faculty members, followed by one on one with hiring manager/direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to present for 5 minutes on a random topic of interest   Answer Question

Senior Custodian Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in May 2012.

fisrst you will go to apply online, choose extenal jobs from its website, then they will select the fit candidate inot the interview process. after your in person interview, there will still an short phone interview. then train one day and go to work

Postdoctoral Employee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

After contacting directly with PI, I was asked several questions about the research projects in the previous institute (through email). About ~2 weeks after interview, I was invited to a seminar with a small group. An offer was given after the seminar.

Not much room for negotiation.

Contracts Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Applied to their second round of job posting. Was contacted one week later by phone. This was a screening interview with a recruiter. He then set up a phone interview with the director of the department. She asked about my background and described the position. She then asked me to come in for a panel interview and case study. The case study was 30 minutes and tested my knowledge and background of the contractual issues. This was followed by a four person panel interview with employees of the other contract departments and the Chief of Staff. They had a long list of typical interview questions and took turns asking them. The panel interview lasted about 45 minutes. Immediately after the interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to set up another interview with director. I believe they chose two candidates from the panel to meet with the director who would make the ultimate hiring decision. This interview took place two days later. I expected the interview to be more of a meeting with the director to see if she liked me and would want to work with me since the last interviews vetted my background and consisted of typical interview questions. However, this interview was much like the panel interview and the hiring director asked around 20 interview questions with follow-up questions regarding my responses. It was a lot more difficult than I expected. She then took me to meet the rest of her department.

Overall the experience was positive and the recruiting contact was very nice. He followed-up with me after every interview to ask how it went.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very typical interview questions, but due to the large amount of them it was difficult to think of a different answer for each one.   Answer Question